Texting Teen Falls Down Manhole

HardOCP News

[H] News
Twitter update: I’m heading to the mall to do some sho….hey, it’s dark down here. Next week's tweet: I’m heading to the courthouse to sue…hey, it’s dark down here.

We all know that walking and texting is a tough combination -- but a Staten Island teen learned the hard way when she fell into an uncovered sewer manhole while trying to send a message. Now, the family of Alexa Longueira, 15, intends to sue.

Great, now if we can just figure out a way to send all the texting/talking drivers down manholes too, we'll have some real progress (especially the "phone surgically implanted to left ear while driving 45 in the fast lane" types).

What the hell ever happened to "pay attention, its a dangerous world out there" .......

The dumb ass kid falls in a hole and her parents want to blame someone else.....sure it should have been marked or sure it should have been covered...but how stupid do you have to be to walk into an open manhole cover?

what if she walked in front of a bus instead..who would they sue then?

Fucking personal responsibility has really taken a shit in this country

The family said they will file a lawsuit -- for what, though, is not immediately clear. Her mother, Kim Longueira, said it doesn't matter that her daughter was walking and texting, and also, the 'gross' factor that can't be ignored.

and she was barley even hurt....

Pathetic...I hope the thing never gets to court and the DA files counter charges for a frivolous lawsuit

No barrier around open manhole? I would sue too.

Have you read the article?

For its part, the Department of Environmental Protection said its workers had turned away briefly to grab some cones when the incident occurred.

And this girl's mom wants to sue because she'd rather blame the DEP for her having such a retarded kid?? FFS!! :mad:

this better get thrown out. if you are stupid enough to fall into an open manhole, you should get sued yourself, not sue the manhole.....:)

but i bet this idiot will be driving a nicer car than me in a few months when she sues for 10 million and settles for 2 million.

smart kid, hope she falls down a deeper manhole soon.

kid in my sister's town got hit by a train while he was texting and listening to his ipod, while walking on railroad tracks.

thinning of the herd

Pathetic...I hope the thing never gets to court and the DA files counter charges for a frivolous lawsuit

As much as I agree with you, it's not a frivolous lawsuit. He should have brought the cones with him before he took the cover off (although I'm not sure what would have happened if she walked in between the cones and down the hole still). She could have been seriously injured or killed (however unlikely). I would however hope that they pay her in free manhole access for the rest of her life.

No barrier around open manhole? I would sue too.

and to put the above genius in their place.

if there was a barrier around the manhole, she could have tripped over the barrier and fell in the manhole. go walk around a city. it is pretty dangerous if you don't......ah....

BE AWARE AND PAY ATTENTION!!!!!

As much as I agree with you, it's not a frivolous lawsuit. He should have brought the cones with him before he took the cover off (although I'm not sure what would have happened if she walked in between the cones and down the hole still). She could have been seriously injured or killed (however unlikely). I would however hope that they pay her in free manhole access for the rest of her life.

the problem is, with this idiot kid. IF THERE WERE CONES OUT, SHE WOULD HAVE TRIPPED OVER THEM.....

i hope the judge is reading this and put's this kid in her place.

sue for what? her missing sneaker? the girl didn't get hurt other then a few minor scrapes. Yes the workers should have put the cones up before opening the manhole cover but come on...pay attention when you walk. I bet this idiot of a girl still would have fallen into the hole even with the cones up.

Here's an idea. Stop walking, send the stupid text, dumbass tweet, or other dumbshit social networking site update about you walking down 5th street and then proceed AROUND the open hole in the ground.

Don't you put barriers out before you open the manhole? I think there is just more than 1 idiot involved in this. Though the lawsuit is just a stupid grab for cash.

and to put the above genius in their place.

if there was a barrier around the manhole, she could have tripped over the barrier and fell in the manhole. go walk around a city. it is pretty dangerous if you don't......ah....

BE AWARE AND PAY ATTENTION!!!!!

Ok, what about people with disabilities (the blind/mentally handicapped/god know what other horrible bad breaks i can't think of)? The exact same thing probably would have happened to them. If that happened we wouldn't be here debating this. The rules are the rules for a good reason. If they followed the rules and this still happened, they're covered. But, they didn't. Honestly, i would sue too, I need the money for medical bills.

Oh this is perfect. Time to lift some man hole covers today and let natural selection run its course.

They should give her a $1 million settlement.... but only if she agrees to have an electrode installed in her head that shocks the shit out of her everytime she sends or receives a text message... and allows the city to make a documentary following her around watching her get shocked 500 times a day and pooing herself each time, so people can laugh at her. Now that would be money well spent.

The city did kind of screw themselves for opening the manhole before putting out warnings. Whether or not it would have helped (I doubt it) they still left themselves wide open for the lawsuit. If there'd been cones/warning signsout and the idiot still fell in the hole (probably injuring herself even more by going into it head first) then she would have been out of luck.

i say drop the suit and fine the workers about the manhole if such an ordinance exists if not make it an ordinance... but she was stupid so its not worth suing

the problem is, with this idiot kid. IF THERE WERE CONES OUT, SHE WOULD HAVE TRIPPED OVER THEM.....

i hope the judge is reading this and put's this kid in her place.

+1... let's hope this doesn't get to court... this parenting failures are really getting on my nerves... I mean, this is like suing Haro because your kid had an accident learning how to ride a bike... Jesus effin' christ, what is Wrong with parents today!! :mad:

Daemas, you're comparing apples to oranges right there... One thing is a blind guy falling down that manhole or tripping over the cones, _Fully aware_ of every step he's taking down the street, another thing is this spoiled little brat twitting/texting/whatever over her phone, completely careless about her surroundings...

IMHO there's no comparison.

The more I think about it, the more I feel liek a lawsuit is justifyable, even if the girl is fucking retarded.

It doesn't matter what she was doing at the time, eg. whether she was texting, gawking at a boy, talking to someone, or doing anything else distracting when she fell down the thing. If you are distracted and fall down a manhole, its only partially your fault. They are supposed to be zoned off.

Can't understand cell phone syndrome. "Look at me, I'm important! I have my mouth\ear dedicated to the phone or both my hands! I have friends! I'm really important!". Dumb bitch should have payed attention in the city. What if they lose the lawsuit? Are they going to sue the cell phone provider? I hope next time a piano falls on her head.

The more I think about it, the more I feel liek a lawsuit is justifyable, even if the girl is fucking retarded.

Would you sue Haro if your kid is learning how to ride a bike and he falls down his bike? Even for a few lousy scratches?? No way!!

god this country is sue happy, what happened to paying attention and not blaming others for your own retardation?

like this kinda shit doesn't cost everyone in the end.

a sue happy society isn't a good one. This kinda shit effect freedoms in a broader sense, and the idiots doing the suing only see a pay day. It's retarded.

It doesn't matter what she was doing at the time, eg. whether she was texting, gawking at a boy, talking to someone, or doing anything else distracting when she fell down the thing. If you are distracted and fall down a manhole, its only partially your fault. They are supposed to be zoned off.

So...my goal is life is to TRY and find a situation where small errors are made and then exploit those errors to get rich? Really...that is what you are encouraging. Decent people don't do that shit. Worthless parasites of society do. The fact that ANYONE thinks this is a sue worthy suit should really give a good look at themselves in a mirror. I could see if it happened often, but this is a rare and unusual occurance. You wonder why we can't get our best to be doctors anymore. They sue them into oblvion for minor mistakes.

I'd say valid law suit, city should pony up $25,000 or so and settle out of court.

This is a clear case of negligence.

leaving a manhole open has been proven over and over again to be dangerous and shouldn't be thrown out just because the girl was texting.

Part of the issue is the area, though. NYC is crowded and full of pedestrians. The workers should have had zoning up. There really is no difference between a klutzy person falling in and a blind person falling in as far as I'm concerned. Just because you have the ability to avoid the scenario doesnt make it your fault. That's like saying that if you get his by a truck slowly backing up on the sidewalk its your fault for not hearing the back up signal. You have a reasonable right to assume you're not going to fall down a manhole when you're walking down the street.

So...my goal is life is to TRY and find a situation where small errors are made and then exploit those errors to get rich? Really...that is what you are encouraging. Decent people don't do that shit. Worthless parasites of society do. The fact that ANYONE thinks this is a sue worthy suit should really give a good look at themselves in a mirror. I could see if it happened often, but this is a rare and unusual occurance. You wonder why we can't get our best to be doctors anymore. They sue them into oblvion for minor mistakes.

I'm not saying she should be able to get rich off this (in fact I think lawsuits should be FAIR, aka she should get something like ~$1000-5000), I'm just saying it doesn't MATTER who she is or what she was doing. She could have been a blind old lady. Both have equal rights to sue. You talk about freedom here, yet you say she should have no right to sue. Hypocrite.

It's a frivolous lawsuit because the context is "If the manhole would have been covered she would have been in no danger" which is completely not true. She was not watching where she was going therefore she exposed herself willingly to several possible dangers. It's completely un-provable that cones would have prevented this because SHE WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION. It's like driving your car with your windshield obscured, if you hit someone do you blame that you couldn't see out your windshield you intentionally didn't clean? Now obviously they are obligated to put cones up however its ambiguous as to whether or not someone was literally in motion to put the cones in place or not. This whole thing could have taken place in 30 seconds. And blind people can't see cones. :p

It's a frivolous lawsuit because the context is "If the manhole would have been covered she would have been in no danger" which is completely not true. She was not watching where she was going therefore she exposed herself willingly to several possible dangers. It's completely un-provable that cones would have prevented this because SHE WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION. It's like driving your car with your windshield obscured, if you hit someone do you blame that you couldn't see out your windshield you intentionally didn't clean? Now obviously they are obligated to put cones up however its ambiguous as to whether or not someone was literally in motion to put the cones in place or not. This whole thing could have taken place in 30 seconds. And blind people can't see cones. :p

Also she wasn't hurt, even more reason it's frivolous.

Just because you have the ability to avoid the scenario doesnt make it your fault. That's like saying that if you get his by a truck slowly backing up on the sidewalk its your fault for not hearing the back up signal. You have a reasonable right to assume you're not going to fall down a manhole when you're walking down the street.

Mentalities like that give me no hope for the future of mankind. I pray you don't breed.

Back when I was growing up we had this thing that will be a completely foreign concept to kids today. Its called, get this, "personal responsibility".

So if this dumb bitch was doing the same thing and walked off a cliff, who does she get to sue then? God?

Doesn't matter if you think it's frivolous or not, some people are arguing that this person doesn't even have the RIGHT to sue. That's ridiculous. It is completely in her rights to sue for this. Let the judge determine whether it's frivolous or not. Like I said earlier, I don't think she should get millions or anything, I'm just defending her right to sue.

Back