Testing: 802.11g, 200Mbps powerline, 802.11n not enough for HD video?

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
Because SWMBO said so, we re-arranged our whole living room. It really does help, the layout kind of sucked before, with the couches being in the middle of the room, but the problem is, the TV is now on the opposite wall as the Coax, phone, and ethernet connections for my TV, blu ray, Satellite box, and HTPC.

Pulling cables to the new wall (hopefully) wouldn't be terrible, since it's on an interior wall which backs up to a bathroom, however if I can avoid hacking into my walls, I'd love to do so. So, I started thinking, maybe this is a good opportunity to set up a client/server HTPC/Media Server setup. I have 3 PCs that we would watch TV on, and a Windows Home Server, so jamming all my tuners in the WHS with SageTV or similar, and streaming HDTV around the house to the various PCs would be very attractive. So, I decided to investigate my options for streaming HDTV to my HTPC in its new location. I currently record HDTV on one of the PCs in the house and use MCE on the "client" PCs to pick up the recordings once they're finished.

I started with my trusty Linksys USB 802.11g adaptor, connected to the 2wire DSL gateway/router. I noted 1.55 MB/s transfer speeds.

33976815.jpg

I would guess it streamed a 1080i HDTV recording from my server reliably 50% of the time. i.e. two good minutes followed by two minutes of hitching, buffering, dropped audio, etc.

So, a trip to Best Buy later, and I have a Netgear XAVB101 (supposedly) 200Mbps Powerline kit. Notice, the product page explicitly says "Fast enough to stream HD video" twice. Also, in the screenshot below, Netgear's diagnostic app says my connection quality is "HD video".

powerline.jpg

The good news about my new living room is, I have cat6 gigabit ethernet on the opposite wall from the TV, so wireless options should be able to get a good connection. So I plugged one adaptor into the Cat6 cable on one side of my living room, and the other adaptor into my HTPC. Despite getting nearly perfect connection, transfer speeds were only 1.77 MB/s, and an HD TV recording still could not stream reliably from my server. It worked better than 802.11g, but I would still experience brief hitching or studdering every couple minutes.

After playing with it for a day or two, reading up a bit on various forums, I became convinced that it wasn't going to satisfy my needs, and exchanged it for a couple Linksys 802.11n products, the WRT400N router and the WGA600N gaming adaptor (because it was the only ethernet bridge Best Buy had in stock....I hope to be able to plug the bridge into a small switch, which will connect to my HTPC and Blu Ray player).

I tested first at 5GHz, even though signal strength was only about 70% (despite the bridge and router having line-of-sight connection from about 10 feet apart). Transfer speeds were about 3MB/s.

5ghz80211n.jpg

This was easily the best speed so far, and HDTV recording streamed better, but I still experienced hitching every 5 minutes or so.

Connecting at 2.4GHz (~95% signal) improved the situation a bit more, with 3.4MB/s transfers, but still, hitching every few minutes.

24ghz80211n.jpg

I also tested using my laptop, which has an Intel wireless chipset in it, and it connected at 2.4ghz. Windows says it connects at 130 Mbps, but transfer speeds are 2.5 MB/s.

laptopn.jpg

Am I missing something? I've played with some of the settings in the WRT400N, including setting the transmit rate to its highest value. I attempted to disable "mixed mode", (transmit ONLY 802.11n), but still no noticeable change.

What is the layout in your house? If you can draw a picture with notepad would be better and include the lengths from devices. The more detail the easier it will be to fix your issue.

Do you live in a complex with multiple tenants?

It looks like no matter what you change (router / wireless adapter) you are getting the same speed. My guess is that you are either at the outer most range of your router or have some kind interference. If your distance is within an acceptable range try changing what channel you are on.

The router and adaptor are on opposite sides of the same room, about 10 feet away.

I tried both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, which were on two different channels, and the results were roughly the same.

Oh, and I live in a house. I did detect 4 or 5 neighborhood networks, but none of them were on the same channel.

That's very odd that your getting that bad of wireless transfer speeds. I'm getting 3.05MB/s on a Compaq V2000 with a really, really bad wireless G card and a Linksys WRT160N on Mixed G/N.
Something is up with those transfer speeds.
EDIT: As the poster above me stated, are you sure you can't run a cable under the molding or some such?

Unfortunately not.

Non-contiguous walls and hardwood floors.

To make sure the cabling is good, I plugged my laptop directly into the cable which is on the other side of the living room (which the router is plugged into).

gigabit.jpg

It checks out. I'm going to start playing with channels next.

6.4MB for a direct cable link via 1gbe line? Something is seriously wrong.

I'm going to assume it's a computer issue, not a media issue.

yeah, even with vista (which i've noticed some issues there) i'll still transfer at 10-12mb/s on gigabit. what are you transferring from? what kind of switch?

I get very similar 802.11g transfer speeds (~1.5MiB/s), but I attribute that to the environment (steel framed building, I can see over 10 networks at better than 2 "bars" signal. Those speeds on gigabit are pretty low though, have you tried using FTP instead of windows filesharing? At least for me, FTP gets much closer to wirespeed than samba/windows can.

6.4MB for a direct cable link via 1gbe line? Something is seriously wrong.

I'm going to assume it's a computer issue, not a media issue.
facepalm

duh.

That cable is apparently bad. I went downstairs to confirm, and transfered around 30MB/s from one PC to another, and around 18MB/s from one PC to my WHS.

OK, so having determined that, my testing moved downstairs, so the Linksys router is plugged directly into the switch. With my laptop about 4 feet from it, I'm still getting 4MB/s max, at 2.4ghz, 5ghz, various channels.

facepalm

duh.

That cable is apparently bad. I went downstairs to confirm, and transfered around 30MB/s from one PC to another, and around 18MB/s from one PC to my WHS.

OK, so having determined that, my testing moved downstairs, so the Linksys router is plugged directly into the switch. With my laptop about 4 feet from it, I'm still getting 4MB/s max, at 2.4ghz, 5ghz, various channels.

you are the one seeking help and having a very basic problem here, so please spare the facepalm. your post didn't exactly indicate that you thought it was the cable.

I have a feeling that I know your problem, but since it's so duh, you should be able to figure it out.

you are the one seeking help and having a very basic problem here, so please spare the facepalm. your post didn't exactly indicate that you thought it was the cable.

I have a feeling that I know your problem, but since it's so duh, you should be able to figure it out.
haha no, sorry

the internet strikes again

the facepalm and duh were directed at myself for not realizing my gigabit connection was giving me 10/100 speeds.

I have reset both the router and the adaptor to factory defaults. Hasn't helped.

I'm beginning to think this router is bunk.

Back