Test System

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all looking to build a new computer on the cheap, just got myself a Technet sub so I wanted to put together a box I can toss Server 2008, and run exchange Sharepoint, and possibly Lync as well. It would be nice to toss a VM or two on as well. I am also toying with the idea of using this as a domain controller for my network, but I think that might be better achieved via WMs on the machine.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Running Server 2008, and additional services Sharepoint, Exchange, and Lync to start.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? I would like to keep it under 500.

3) Which country do you live in? Chicago, IL.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, Mobo, RAM, HDD, PSU, Case.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? None I can think of.

6) Will you be overclocking? I doubt it unless it will significantly improve performance.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? most likely going to run headless or off a 1860x1050 monitor.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? This coming month.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID would be nice if I wanted to build an array, other than that just on board video

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?Yes Server 2008 most likely 64bit.

I am okay with referb equipment for some components.
If I can get a kill deal on a referb server I might consider that route as well.
I might go the used route and pick up some lga 775 stuff, or last gen AMD stuff if the preformance is there for the applications I am running.

Yeah I think I am going to go this route, can't beat that cost.
In the mean time I dug up an old core 2 laptop and picked up a 500GB hdd for like 50 bucks from MicroCenter.
Working well, going to get it all finished this weekend.

Back