Tesla's Autopilot Will Use Radar As Primary Sensor

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this post on Tesla's official blog, the company is upgrading it's Autopilot feature to use radar sensors more in its software update 8.0. Feel free to add your own "radar guided crash" jokes here.

While there are dozens of small refinements with Version 8 of our software, described in addendum below, the most significant upgrade to Autopilot will be the use of more advanced signal processing to create a picture of the world using the onboard radar. The radar was added to all Tesla vehicles in October 2014 as part of the Autopilot hardware suite, but was only meant to be a supplementary sensor to the primary camera and image processing system.

Man oh man. The RF spectrum is going to be a very busy place on the LA freeways.

I would think these radar systems are going to run continuous wave, (maybe millimeter wave as well), at a somewhat high radio frequency. The higher the RF the more accurate the updates, but it shortens range. But they aren't tracking airplanes, they are looking for short distance obstacle/object tracking so they can afford to sacrifice range for accuracy. But that also means we are all going to be on the highways getting blasted by this radiated energy all the time.

Get out your tin foil hats boyos, they are going to be worth having after all.

Tin foil jock straps might become a thing as well :ROFLMAO:

Most police forces are using LIDAR anyway.

I can't see myself using autonomous driving features until I'm really old like 80-90.

Well with all the cars having radar transmitters on them the cops can just go to passive radar detection instead. Hows that work for you?

That would be an idea for the police (possibly in the near future). I like older vehicles that don't have all that on them.

Hope these guys have heard of AWACS and can deal with the signal interference from one.

Wonder how long a small child can stand in front of a Tesla before exceeding the recommended RF exposure?

Wonder how long a small child can stand in front of a Tesla before exceeding the recommended RF exposure?
Since it will obey the inverse-square law, a child standing in front of a Tesla at a distance of 50' will only receive 300-400 rem every second.
It should not be an issue.

Driving through the desert in my new Tesla, I notice a sign pointing out a local AF base just up ahead. I soon hear the rumble of fighter jets flying off in the distance doing some low level fly-bys. I think to myself.."That's cool".

I change the radio station to a rock station and check my mirrors for the journey ahead. As I take a second look to make sure my eyes have not deceived me, I see this round object coming up behind me with a giant smoke plume blasting behind it, as I try to swerve out of the way it stays right behind me. It flies into the back of my car and explodes, leaving a nice stain on the road for travelers to find later. As I descend into Hell for the Evil I have done, all I can think is.."Damn Radar"

Driving through the desert in my new Tesla, I notice a sign pointing out a local AF base just up ahead. I soon hear the rumble of fighter jets flying off in the distance doing some low level fly-bys. I think to myself.."That's cool".

I change the radio station to a rock station and check my mirrors for the journey ahead. As I take a second look to make sure my eyes have not deceived me, I see this round object coming up behind me with a giant smoke plume blasting behind it, as I try to swerve out of the way it stays right behind me. It flies into the back of my car and explodes, leaving a nice stain on the road for travelers to find later. As I descend into Hell for the Evil I have done, all I can think is.."Damn Radar"

What? A HARM ?
:eek:

Since it will obey the inverse-square law, a child standing in front of a Tesla at a distance of 50' will only receive 300-400 rem every second.

Jim, when it's one Tesla you are right. What about when Mom is crossing the sidewalk with Jr in tow and it's three lanes of "Teslas" from every direction? A six lane freeway full of cars bumper to bumper for an hour or better in LA?

I couldn't read the side!!
?

I thought I was tracking and then you lost me and I wonder if I was ever on target. I thought you were joking about a Homing Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM), taking out you and your Tesla.

?

I thought I was tracking and then you lost me and I wonder if I was ever on target. I thought you were joking about a Homing Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM), taking out you and your Tesla.
I couldn't read the side of the missile :)

Yes a HARM, I guess, Im not up on all the diff tech.

Was thinking more like touching distance. "Waaah! I don't wanna go kindergarten! Waaah!" While mom vainly tries to coax the kid to get in the car.

Was thinking more like touching distance. "Waaah! I don't wanna go kindergarten! Waaah!" While mom vainly tries to coax the kid to get in the car.
Then little jimmy might get his balls cooked so he can't make 10 more kids

AWESOME story Steve.. just too bad Tsing posted the SAME article yesterday!! If you are not going to READ the weekend [H] news, at least take a glace at it Monday morning. You are reposting the same articles from the weekend way too often that I am getting tired of posting my Déjà Vu comment every time you do this!!

AWESOME story Steve.. just too bad Tsing posted the SAME article yesterday!! If you are not going to READ the weekend [H] news, at least take a glace at it Monday morning. You are reposting the same articles from the weekend way too often that I am getting tired of posting my Déjà Vu comment every time you do this!!

Some serious first world problems. :p

Back