Tesla Will Start Preliminary Model 3 Production Later This Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Model 3 is finally happening—and it better, with 400,000 preorders already on the books. Tesla is shutting down its California assembly plant and preparing it for the production of the company’s most affordable car yet. While the Model 3 is expected to release at the end of this year, it could very well be delayed due to ongoing changes to its design, which Musk claimed was completed last summer.

The sources did not know how many of the highly-anticipated vehicles Tesla aimed to build in February, but it would likely be a small number to test the assembly system and the quality of vehicle parts. "What better way to stoke the fan base and Wall Street than to wheel out pre-production models" ahead of the earnings announcement, said one person familiar with Tesla's plans who spoke on condition of anonymity. The Tesla spokesman declined to comment on the company's production schedule. Musk had told investors last year that the company could miss the July 2017 startup target if suppliers do not meet deadlines. Tesla has a lot riding on the Model 3, which is priced at roughly $35,000 before government incentives. If successful, the sedan could raise Tesla beyond a niche luxury player in the automotive sector.

Insert it's happening gif here. Also prepare ramen for the next year so I can make the down payment.

year, it could very well be delayed due to ongoing changes to its design, which Musk claimed was completed last summer.

Where's the bro at that was mouthing me in the last tesla update???

BUT, BUT, BUT, ELON SAID IT WAS FINISHED AND HE WOULD NEVER LIE!!!!

I wonder how long (if ever) it will take them to get through that 400,000 pre-order backlog and get to the point where they are selling direct to walk-in customers.

My Volvo is getting close to needing replacement (probably this summer) and I'll be looking at options.

I'm not about to pre-order a car I haven't driven though.

Watch episode 13 of season 1 of Grand Tour (Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gears new show on Amazon). It shows what happens when a VW GTI and an electric BMW i3 both take a 200 mile road trip to see Roger Daltry. Hint: electric cars are obviously not ready for prime time...

I'd say it certainly shows that the BMW i3 is not ready for that sort of drive. Seems more designed to around town and short drive type stuff.

Where's the bro at that was mouthing me in the last tesla update???

BUT, BUT, BUT, ELON SAID IT WAS FINISHED AND HE WOULD NEVER LIE!!!!

You're kidding right? You're saying there can't be any minor fixes and modifications on a product during testing before it hits production? Intel would be out of a job by that logic.

Last edited:
They are reservations, not preorders, which can be canceled at any time.

Being how long the wait is going to be for lots of those at the tail end, I see a lot being canceled, with a lot of new EVs coming out in the 200-250 mile range, and at the same price point, along with being available now or soon, these options are going to tempt a lot of people. That is not even considering the cars that will be coming out with even better range than that by the time 2018 comes along.

Watch episode 13 of season 1 of Grand Tour (Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gears new show on Amazon). It shows what happens when a VW GTI and an electric BMW i3 both take a 200 mile road trip to see Roger Daltry. Hint: electric cars are obviously not ready for prime time...
I'll have to check out that episode and see what I think being an i3 owner myself. But Meh... I drove my BMW i3 w/ Range Extender from San Jose to Salt Lake city in one trip over 700 miles. Sure I had to take special precautions and stop more often for gas than a conventional gas car would... but I did it pretty comfortably.
Also I don't see how you can take anecdotal evidence of dissimilar electric cars like the BMW i3 (which doesn't advertise more than 80 mile range on electric power) is relevant here. That's like saying that I saw a 2 cylinder scooter that only has 35 horsepower therefore no car could ever have an engine that makes 600+ horsepower, and gasoline engines are not ready for prime time.

Also, the BMW i3 has a paltry 18.8kwh battery compared to a 60kwh (expected battery size) that you will see on the Tesla model 3

But back to the original point, The base Tesla Model 3 will have access to supercharging and a 208+ mile range (probably good for 160 miles min 240 miles max depending on road conditions and driving style). I don't see how that type of range is a fail, 99.8% of people would never drive 200+ miles in a day on a regular basis. The great thing about electric cars is the fact that every time you leave your garage, you have full charge. In many usage scenarios, it would be much more inconvenient for me to make a special stop to fillup my car at the gas station than it is to simply plug in my car every day when I get home.

Think about that. Every single day when I leave my house no matter what I have ~140 miles of range in my i3, and when I get my Model 3 every day when I leave I'll have 208+ How often do gas engines leave the garage in the morning with much less range than that because their tank is only 1/2 full?

Sure on long road trips, electric is more of a hassle if you have to stop for 30 minutes every 200 miles at a tesla supercharger, but for the majority of people's automobile usage, driving electric would actually be more convenient

Last edited:
I'll have to check out that episode and see what I think being an i3 owner myself. But Meh... I drove my BMW i3 w/ Range Extender from San Jose to Salt Lake city in one trip over 700 miles. Sure I had to take special precautions and stop more often for gas than a conventional gas car would... but I did it pretty comfortably.
Also I don't see how you can take anecdotal evidence of dissimilar electric cars like the BMW i3 (which doesn't advertise more than 80 mile range on electric power) is relevant here. That's like saying that I saw a 2 cylinder scooter that only has 35 horsepower therefore no car could ever have an engine that makes 600+ horsepower, and gasoline engines are not ready for prime time.

Also, the BMW i3 has a paltry 18.8kwh battery compared to a 60kwh (expected battery size) that you will see on the Tesla model 3

But back to the original point, The base Tesla Model 3 will have access to supercharging and a 208+ mile range (probably good for 160 miles min 240 miles max depending on road conditions and driving style). I don't see how that type of range is a fail, 99.8% of people would never drive 200+ miles in a day on a regular basis. The great thing about electric cars is the fact that every time you leave your garage, you have full charge. In many usage scenarios, it would be much more inconvenient for me to make a special stop to fillup my car at the gas station than it is to simply plug in my car every day when I get home.

Think about that. Every single day when I leave my house no matter what I have ~140 miles of range in my i3, and when I get my Model 3 every day when I leave I'll have 208+ How often do gas engines leave the garage in the morning with much less range than that because their tank is only 1/2 full?

I always find it funny people with EVs like to talk about not having to fill up with gas that takes a total of 30 seconds, but like to say in the same breath, not to worry about the two hour charge to full on a long trip, because you need to stretch your legs, get lunch etc etc anyway.

I always find it funny people with EVs like to talk about not having to fill up with gas that takes a total of 30 seconds, but like to say in the same breath, not to worry about the two hour charge to full on a long trip, because you need to stretch your legs, get lunch etc etc anyway.

Did you actually read my post where I said "Sure on long road trips, electric is more of a hassle if you have to stop for 30 minutes every 200 miles at a tesla supercharger, but for the majority of people's automobile usage, driving electric would actually be more convenient"

I don't disagree EVs are a bigger hassle on long road trips like I stated originally ... but I don't take a road trip every day... do you?

Took me 10 minutes this morning and I drive a Lotus Exige (i.e. 10 gallon tank). The guy filling his Escalade was filling up when I pulled up and still pumping when I left. Maybe the pumps were a little slow at that place, but I can't wait until my Model3 shows up and I can just plug it in at night.

If you want to take a road trip, just go rent a gas car. I don't take road trips and an electric car would be perfect for me when I plan on buying a new car 2-3 years from now.

I wonder how long (if ever) it will take them to get through that 400,000 pre-order backlog and get to the point where they are selling direct to walk-in customers.

My Volvo is getting close to needing replacement (probably this summer) and I'll be looking at options.

I'm not about to pre-order a car I haven't driven though.

Chevy Bolt?

Chevy Bolt?
^
I'm 17th in colorado for a Model 3 but i think i'll be getting a Bolt instead. I don't trust the Model 3 to be on time and the tax credits for Tesla EVs will be decreasing starting the beginning of next year (they will hit the fleet limit for the fed tax credit) so each quarter Tesla cars will cost $1k more until the fed credit is gone.

Electric cars are ready, but only in all situations of course. There's absolutely zero problems with them in city driving situations or nor ppl who rarely make long road trips. It of course, isn't the best for long journeys, unless you plan your route to follow the Tesla Supercharger network and are willing to sit longer for charges than a gas fill up.

Majority of people who live in my hometown of around 55,000 rarely drive more than 100 miles a day. I don't see how an electric car wouldn't work for them. My sister doesn't drive more than 10 miles in a day. Her husband on the other hand, he'll easily clock in 200-300 miles in a day. Luckily, his company leases him a car and pays for his gas.

Me, an electric car doesn't work for me. I'll randomly clock in 200 miles here and there, cause I just feel like driving. I've spent 8 hours driving around the mountains for fun. If it was super cheap, it'd work for my 14 km round trip to and from work. Then I can hop in my fun car, but parking is premium where I live. 60-150 Euro a month. The gas savings negates any savings, cause then I'd have to get another parking spot. Doesn't work for me.

The only issues I have with electric cars. They convert parking spaces into electric only spaces. They essentially convert them into reserved parking. Sorry, but I'd get rid of those things. Nothing annoys me more than reserved parking spaces (minus handicapped or loading/unloading zones).

Using Top Gear or GT for anything more than basic entertainment is a mistake.
Hint: the shows are scripted to present what they want

Did you actually read my post where I said "Sure on long road trips, electric is more of a hassle if you have to stop for 30 minutes every 200 miles at a tesla supercharger, but for the majority of people's automobile usage, driving electric would actually be more convenient"

I don't disagree EVs are a bigger hassle on long road trips like I stated originally ... but I don't take a road trip every day... do you?

I do.

With long road trips those ranges are not the case, most might hit it if you do well under the speed limit and don't have stop and go.

However, as I said, being "OK" for some people is NO reason to stop looking for something better or more piratical than current batteries. This is backwards thinking.

Took me 10 minutes this morning and I drive a Lotus Exige (i.e. 10 gallon tank). The guy filling his Escalade was filling up when I pulled up and still pumping when I left. Maybe the pumps were a little slow at that place, but I can't wait until my Model3 shows up and I can just plug it in at night.

It's a good thing it wasn't a charging station you were waiting on.

^
I'm 17th in colorado for a Model 3 but i think i'll be getting a Bolt instead. I don't trust the Model 3 to be on time and the tax credits for Tesla EVs will be decreasing starting the beginning of next year (they will hit the fleet limit for the fed tax credit) so each quarter Tesla cars will cost $1k more until the fed credit is gone.

Unless things have changed, the credit is based on when the order was placed (reservation) and not based on when you take actual delivery. So you should still get the full credit, back when I was getting a new car I looked really hard at EVs and talked to some tax professionals about it and this is what I was told.

Chevy Bolt?

That thing is ugly! Just another ugly subcompact car. I know, each to their own, but since the Tesla is price comparable, I would want to be in the Tesla any day over the Bolt. And this is coming from a die-hard Chevy fan!

That thing is ugly! Just another ugly subcompact car. I know, each to their own, but since the Tesla is price comparable, I would want to be in the Tesla any day over the Bolt. And this is coming from a die-hard Chevy fan!

Many people will not be getting their Tesla (assuming everything goes perfect) until late 2018, but that date has been pushed back a few times now. Ugly or not, it is the only real option right now, and does have longer range than the Model 3.

So you did not watch that specific show and have no idea what I was talking about...

So you did not watch that specific show and have no idea what I was talking about...

Pretty much.

But he is not wrong either, both shows are scripted. I do think the car however was shown correctly, it's a very short range EV, even in terms of first gen EVs. They did it to showcase some of the problems with EVs, but they could have made a better pick, though it was James personal car, so that probably played a factor, as I am not sure many EV makers would want to be putting it in a negative light in ANY way, so getting one lent to those 3 would probably be hard to do.

Many people will not be getting their Tesla (assuming everything goes perfect) until late 2018, but that date has been pushed back a few times now. Ugly or not, it is the only real option right now, and does have longer range than the Model 3.
The Bolt body looks like it's simply a 4-door Spark. The Spark starts at about $14k, and is rated for around 38mpg. The Bolt starts at $38k. That's a lot of gasoline to get nothing but an electric car. I suppose if you just "have" to have electric, and you have to have it now, the Bolt's for you. If I were wanting an "affordable" EV, I'm willing to wait for Tesla 3.

Personally, if I had the money to drop on a new car, it'd be something more like this:
http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan.html

any time I see EV talk, I just hope the people who made the note batteries aren't making the car batteries

The Bolt body looks like it's simply a 4-door Spark. The Spark starts at about $14k, and is rated for around 38mpg. The Bolt starts at $38k. That's a lot of gasoline to get nothing but an electric car. I suppose if you just "have" to have electric, and you have to have it now, the Bolt's for you. If I were wanting an "affordable" EV, I'm willing to wait for Tesla 3.

Personally, if I had the money to drop on a new car, it'd be something more like this:
http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan.html

The EV Bolt, while it looks like a Spark, is in a different build class. Price is also close to the Model 3, but the Bolt has a longer range and is available now. with a pretty large number of new EVs coming out, all in the same price range as the Model 3 and many with even longer ranges, outside of looks (personal) there is not much reason to hold out for the Tesla. More or less, what I am saying is by the time the model 3 is out to most people, it will be kinda old news. With EVs right now, range is one of the biggest factors for many, if you don't need that it comes down to personal choice of looks and features. Also comes down to if you can wait 2 years or more for you to get one.

Also, a muscle car doesn't have much to do with an EV so not sure what that is about?

Electric cars are ready, but only in all situations of course. There's absolutely zero problems with them in city driving situations or nor ppl who rarely make long road trips. It of course, isn't the best for long journeys, unless you plan your route to follow the Tesla Supercharger network and are willing to sit longer for charges than a gas fill up.

Majority of people who live in my hometown of around 55,000 rarely drive more than 100 miles a day. I don't see how an electric car wouldn't work for them. My sister doesn't drive more than 10 miles in a day. Her husband on the other hand, he'll easily clock in 200-300 miles in a day. Luckily, his company leases him a car and pays for his gas.

Me, an electric car doesn't work for me. I'll randomly clock in 200 miles here and there, cause I just feel like driving. I've spent 8 hours driving around the mountains for fun. If it was super cheap, it'd work for my 14 km round trip to and from work. Then I can hop in my fun car, but parking is premium where I live. 60-150 Euro a month. The gas savings negates any savings, cause then I'd have to get another parking spot. Doesn't work for me.

The only issues I have with electric cars. They convert parking spaces into electric only spaces. They essentially convert them into reserved parking. Sorry, but I'd get rid of those things. Nothing annoys me more than reserved parking spaces (minus handicapped or loading/unloading zones).
While acknowledging your response as very reasonable and logical you are highlighting my points that electric cars are not really practical. People do not buy a car simply to go to work. They are used for business and pleasure as well as for routine and emergency tasks. If you get a call from your brothers and sisters that your mother is dying and might not make the night do you want to drive 300 miles in an electric car or a gas powered car? For such an expensive investment electric cars are very limiting with regards to how a car can potentially extend your personal capabilities. Similarly electric cars are "not" green when you consider the toxicity of the batteries used. Is there a single good reason to buy one?

Like Jeremy Clarkson I own a VW GTI. Electric cars are obscene...

The EV Bolt, while it looks like a Spark, is in a different build class. Price is also close to the Model 3, but the Bolt has a longer range and is available now. with a pretty large number of new EVs coming out, all in the same price range as the Model 3 and many with even longer ranges, outside of looks (personal) there is not much reason to hold out for the Tesla. More or less, what I am saying is by the time the model 3 is out to most people, it will be kinda old news. With EVs right now, range is one of the biggest factors for many, if you don't need that it comes down to personal choice of looks and features. Also comes down to if you can wait 2 years or more for you to get one.

Also, a muscle car doesn't have much to do with an EV so not sure what that is about?
If you would rather own an electric car than a Chevy SS than you might be having gender identification issues...

For most people, buying a car is a very personal experience. Like I said before, if you must have EV, and you must have it now, the Bolt is the option to go with. I, for one, like a little more style and class in my vehicles, so I would certainly be willing to wait for the Tesla, over buying the Bolt. Sure, if I had the money, a Model S would be even more in consideration.

With cars, it is not about which is the technically superior product, it is about the total experience. The SS will cost far more to operate per mile than any EV, and practically will give me nothing over the more efficient and cheaper Impala. The experience of the car makes it worth more to me than either the Tesla 3 or the Bolt, even for the $10K+ price increase. I bring this up to simply point out that while the Bolt may have better range, People like me would prefer the T3 any day, simply because it doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME!! I"M DRIVING AN EV!"

I also like the safety that rugged battery pack provides to the car frame, mixing sedan-like mobility with truck-like toughness. A big plus in my book, being more likely to walk out of a crash on your own feet.

Crash involving 4 vehicles including a tractor trailer:
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/1...ollision-new-pics-details-first-hand-account/

“He was able to walk away from this wreck with only minor whiplash and tightness in his shoulders and lower back, he contends, because of the Model S’s structural integrity and 1,200-lb. flat battery pack that likely prevented the truck’s grill from intruding into the vehicle.

“Gardner estimates that the heavily loaded truck was traveling between 35 mph and 40 mph when it rear-ended his sedan. The crash caused the two vehicles to overlap, and required two-trucks on each end to pull the two apart. When Gardner examined the damage, he found that his Tesla had ripped out the entire bottom of the trucker’s vehicle. The Volvo’s oil was dripping into the Model S’s trunk.”

Hopefully the $35k model 3 will be as rugged because price is the main obstacle left at this point imho.

Last edited:
If you would rather own an electric car than a Chevy SS than you might be having gender identification issues...

I much rather my highly modded turbo 350HP track Miata.

But they are not in the same market, which is my point.

I also don't associate an ICE with my masculinity.

For most people, buying a car is a very personal experience. Like I said before, if you must have EV, and you must have it now, the Bolt is the option to go with. I, for one, like a little more style and class in my vehicles, so I would certainly be willing to wait for the Tesla, over buying the Bolt. Sure, if I had the money, a Model S would be even more in consideration.

With cars, it is not about which is the technically superior product, it is about the total experience. The SS will cost far more to operate per mile than any EV, and practically will give me nothing over the more efficient and cheaper Impala. The experience of the car makes it worth more to me than either the Tesla 3 or the Bolt, even for the $10K+ price increase. I bring this up to simply point out that while the Bolt may have better range, People like me would prefer the T3 any day, simply because it doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME!! I"M DRIVING AN EV!"

Doesn't scream EV? I think the Bolt blends in with every other eco box, be that good or bad for personal taste. The Tesla's stand out quite a bit.

If I was waiting, I would not go for either, to many new EVs coming to market in that time, a number of them have some big impacts, that and it should also help effect price on the rest of the market.

After reading the 1st hand experience with Tesla dealership service http://dmitryzavyalov.livejournal.com/712.html I'm kinda reluctant to consider Tesla as something other than a toy for rich people.

They actually have one of the highest satisfaction ratings in customer service. But I'm not discounting the guy's experience, every now and then someone will get screwed by some company. At least he got his money back more or less.

My personal concern is repairs:
EVs typically have around 20 parts to maintain vs 20,000 for an ICE vehicle, so generally speaking they should be much lower maintenance longterm; in theory. Some of the relatively primitive Prius Taxis are running past half a million miles right now on original batteries so that's promising news.

But where would I need to take the EV for repairs if/when something comes up? I don't know if I'd be able to take it to a typical repair shop 5 years down the road. I need more information and assurance on this issue at this point as I don't want to depend on the "dealership" basically, especially past the 4-8 year warranty period.

(pg4):
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Model_S_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_201602_en_NA.pdf

That's my only main concern, everything else is gravy for me personally and I'm excited to give an EV a try.

Food for thought:
http://insideevs.com/ev-vs-ice-maintenance-the-first-100000-miles/

Last edited:
The fact that I haven't watched that specific episode is of no consequence. The shows are only loosely based in reality.

The fact that I haven't watched that specific episode is of no consequence. The shows are only loosely based in reality.
Informal logical fallacy of "poisoning the well". The first 25 minutes of the show perfectly illustrates my point. You did not watch the episode therefore you cannot comment on it's validity.

I much rather my highly modded turbo 350HP track Miata.

But they are not in the same market, which is my point.

I also don't associate an ICE with my masculinity.
You might not associate your car with masculinity but it is never the less a logical conclusion most people will make and I seriously doubt you would ever enjoy a chevy volt after owning your Miata. Similarly it is true that there are EV owners who would regard your passion for driving fast cars as an example of "toxic masculinity" and who advocate the ban of all ICE's.

If I had to go out and have a beer with a total stranger I would have less reservation having that drink with a modified Miata owner than a Volt owner conceding that my presumptions could be wrong. Do EV owners even drink beer?

I had a chevy volt, and more then likely i will get another when my silverado lease is up. When i got the volt, my monthly gas expense went from $300 to $80 (our 2nd car was still gas) we put gas in it maybe 3 times a year $15-20 a pop except for when we drove it to North carolina and back. Pumping gas sucks, especially January in michigan.

I can refill my tank in about 5 minutes and be back on the go. How long do you have to wait for your batteries to recharge if you are on a long trip and you're out of juice?

You might not associate your car with masculinity but it is never the less a logical conclusion most people will make and I seriously doubt you would ever enjoy a chevy volt after owning your Miata. Similarly it is true that there are EV owners who would regard your passion for driving fast cars as an example of "toxic masculinity" and who advocate the ban of all ICE's.

If I had to go out and have a beer with a total stranger I would have less reservation having that drink with a modified Miata owner than a Volt owner conceding that my presumptions could be wrong. Do EV owners even drink beer?

I don't go one way or the other, the Miata is to wild to be used as a DD. So I have a "normal" car for that job, and an EV was looked at HARD when I bought it, I borrowed my friends Leaf to test this out a few times. He is also a car guy with a heavy modded turbo (street) 370z, we find EVs really cool, and I have had the chance to drive a low 10 second EV at the track a number of times. I know what you mean however, about the general "type" that tend to be into EVs, just not everyone follows that rule. ;)

My horse doesn't even need gas, just refuels itself on free grass. Can your gas powered car do that? Checkmate ICE fools.

It's a good thing it wasn't a charging station you were waiting on..

I usually get around 200-220 between fill-ups, which works out to between 2-3 weeks depending on how often I switch between the Miata and Lotus. That would mean I can forget to plug it in for a week or more and still never have to worry about running low.

BlueFireIce... holy shit, 350. I had to roll my fenders and put 10" rims to prevent mine from smacking me in the face every time I took a corner at with 250bhp. Damn, I wish I still had the time to have a full track car.

Back