Tesla On Autopilot Crashes Into Bus

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying this guy is lying his ass off but his story sounds pretty damn fishy. The man says his Tesla was "returning to the inside lane after overtaking" another vehicle when it rear ended the bus. I knew Tesla had Insane and Ludicrous modes but I didn't know it had an Aggressive Asshat mode as well.

"The car driver said he had used the car's Autopilot. It now has to be investigated why this did not work," police said in a statement, adding that the Tesla driver was slightly injured and none of the 29 bus passengers was hurt. The police statement said the 50-year-old Tesla driver from Brandenburg drove into the back of the Danish tour bus as it was returning to the inside lane after overtaking.

Waiting for one of these cars to run over a pedestrian because the driver is too lazy to drive the car.

Maybe if we had mandatory dash and driver seat cams in these auto pilot capable cars, there wouldn't be a story to tell, just video to review.

Some people will have to die for technology to move forward.

Waiting for one of these cars to run over a pedestrian because the driver is too lazy to drive the car.
I actually think you have it backwards - the autopilot is usually NOT used in these accidents, if ever at all.

It's always a person's mistake, and they say the autopilot was at fault - I am interested in seeing what the car logs reveal about the vehicle's autopilot status at the point of accident.

I am not saying the autopilot is finished yet, or safe - but I will say it's probably better than human drivers at this point, and while eventually it will kill someone, I imagine it's going to save many many more first.

(i.e. autopilot will result in less deaths than human driving)

The car logs enough data to tell whether there was human input at or before the accident, correct?

OK that's it Tesla now you have to punish these asshats there is a sensor in the wheel on your cars if the driver takes both hand off the wheel that is a parking mode use the radar to pull over to the side and park don't let people think autopilot is actually "AUTOPILOT"

TESLA never should have called smart cruise control, "Auto Pilot". This is going to bite them in the derriere.

"The car driver said he had used the car's Autopilot. It now has to be investigated why this did not work," police said in a statement
So you're going to blame the car now rather than the driver?

The car logs enough data to tell whether there was human input at or before the accident, correct?
Yes, but a video would shut up certain people with less fuss (also entertainment for the rest of us).

"as it was returning to the inside lane after overtaking"

According to this page of Danish road regulations: "Drive on right, overtake on the left and give way to traffic from the right."

I think that it's interesting that any version of automatic driving would overtake on the right. This is a big red flag on either the software (if it was actually in control) or on the human driver (if he was lying about the car being in control).

Edit: and you should ignore this post now because I completely misunderstood what happened. "it" was the bus, not the Tesla. I'm always telling people to read the freaking article and the one time I don't, this happens.

Last edited:
Autonomous-Self-Driving-Car-Crash-Cartoon.jpg

I think that it's interesting that any version of automatic driving would overtake on the right. This is a big red flag on either the software (if it was actually in control) or on the human driver (if he was lying about the car being in control).

The autopilot can be pretty wonky at times. I think its too much to ask an AI or program at this point to drive for us in any situation which is how it seems ppl are using theirs. Thats crazy in itself.

Footage shows what happens when Tesla autonomous driving goes wrong

"as it was returning to the inside lane after overtaking"

According to this page of Danish road regulations: "Drive on right, overtake on the left and give way to traffic from the right."

The inside lane is the right lane. So he was returning to the right lane after passing on the left side.
Inside lane does not mean in the middle of the road in Denmark IIRC. It might be a translation error.

Wait, is Autopilot designed to overtake? I would assume it'd just slow down if the vehicle in front is slower. Not change lanes and overtake.

Maybe if we had mandatory dash and driver seat cams in these auto pilot capable cars, there wouldn't be a story to tell, just video to review.

all tesla has to do is pull the data from the car.. this guy is either stupid as hell or better hope his terrible excuse is legit.

Wait, is Autopilot designed to overtake? I would assume it'd just slow down if the vehicle in front is slower. Not change lanes and overtake.

nope, you have to use the turn signal's to make it switch lanes so theres still a required driver input.

Yes, but a video would shut up certain people with less fuss (also entertainment for the rest of us).

100% agree even just for the embarrassment factor, lol.

Would you say that it's not my fault I crashed, it was the cruise control?

Right this excuse is just as legitimate.

Tesla made a mistake for letting fools believe that this is an autonomus driving feature.

This is like an airline pilot claiming "it's not my fault, autopilot was engaged".

all tesla has to do is pull the data from the car.. this guy is either stupid as hell or better hope his terrible excuse is legit.

Pretty sure as long as the car still had power after the crash, the crash report is delivered to Tesla immediately over the air.

So, the driver had a driver aid on and failed to brake. That is all I see. As stated, this would be like claiming I had cruise control on and it hit another car in traffic. No, I failed to pay attention and stop in time.

Well, Tesla reviews the car logs after each one of these incidents, and even without a video they can usually tell what happened.

Well, Tesla reviews the car logs after each one of these incidents, and even without a video they can usually tell what happened.
Yeah, but as previous posters have stated, it would be more entertaining to have video! It would also seriously reduce things from usually to always, if you have computer logs and video showing what happened, its pretty solid evidence.

I just recently cancelled my reservation and picked up an Edge Sport instead, but I kind of like Tesla drivers. Some of them get a bad rap because of people like this, but it is never a Tesla that gets in my way like those annoying Toyota Pious drivers who think it is cool to try to see how many drivers they can piss off.

I'm not saying this guy is lying his ass off but his story sounds pretty damn fishy. The man says his Tesla was "returning to the inside lane after overtaking" another vehicle when it rear ended the bus. I knew Tesla had Insane and Ludicrous modes but I didn't know it had an Aggressive Asshat mode as well.

"The car driver said he had used the car's Autopilot. It now has to be investigated why this did not work," police said in a statement, adding that the Tesla driver was slightly injured and none of the 29 bus passengers was hurt. The police statement said the 50-year-old Tesla driver from Brandenburg drove into the back of the Danish tour bus as it was returning to the inside lane after overtaking.

Hey Steve, might want to recheck that article. "It" in that quote was the Danish tour bus that was "returning to the inside lane after overtaking", not the Tesla.

I can't wait to see one of those self-driving UBER shit cars. I will go and throw myself in front of it and sue that ugly CEO. It's a dream come to true for lawyers. Same goes for drones, can't wait to get hit with one.

I can't wait to see one of those self-driving UBER shit cars. I will go and throw myself in front of it and sue that ugly CEO. It's a dream come to true for lawyers. Same goes for drones, can't wait to get hit with one.
Or make the world a better place and not add to the scumbag population.

Damn Tesla, why are you even going in the direction of self driving, just continue to push the frontier and continue to absolutely blow everyone away with your electric range.

There is always going to be people that will claim Tesla made up the data. A video is near indisputable.

The inside lane is the right lane. So he was returning to the right lane after passing on the left side.
Inside lane does not mean in the middle of the road in Denmark IIRC. It might be a translation error.

My post has been made irrelevant now that Jaquile pointed out that the bus was overtaking, not the Tesla.

That being said, you've touched on a big bad argument about inside vs outside lanes. When your side of traffic has two or more lanes, some people are taught that the lane closest to the center of the road is the inside lane while the lane closest to the shoulder is the outside lane, while some people are taught the opposite. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong; for better communication, especially with drivers you are unfamiliar with, it's best to avoid the inside/outside terminology entirely and say left or right lane.

My post has been made irrelevant now that Jaquile pointed out that the bus was overtaking, not the Tesla.

That being said, you've touched on a big bad argument about inside vs outside lanes. When your side of traffic has two or more lanes, some people are taught that the lane closest to the center of the road is the inside lane while the lane closest to the shoulder is the outside lane, while some people are taught the opposite. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong; for better communication, especially with drivers you are unfamiliar with, it's best to avoid the inside/outside terminology entirely and say left or right lane.

I totally agree which is why i mentioned it might be a translation error. the danish report might have said return to inside lane which in DK mean returning to right lane. However in English wiki inside lane is mention as towards the middle of the road.
it took me some while to find a danish source to see how they handled right/left inside/outside lane just to be a bit sure. So i guess a change to user left/right instead has been made. Just not for this article/report.

Back