Tesla Model X Rollover Test

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 21, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

You can point out a lot of faults or inadequacies in electric cars (and SUVs), but when it comes to having physics on your side, all those heavy batteries on the bottom of the car, sure do give it a low center of gravity. This is Tesla's internal video of the company testing rollover below. The NHTSA said: “Model X is the first and only SUV to achieve a NHTSA 5-Star safety rating in every category and subcategory, with the lowest probability of rollover and overall injury of any SUV.”

Check out the video.

Talyrius and Vercinaigh like this.
  2. RC-Heli-3D

RC-Heli-3D Limp Gawd

Market realities don't work anymore. My $150k home is now worth $5.5 million, damn honesty! Fire up the printing press!!!!!

3. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Ya, and if you sell and want to buy another house in the same area, it will cost the same or more for the same size home.

4. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

its a crossover i dont see how it is an suv... so of course it is better with a low center of gravity. isnt it the size of most crossovers?

5. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

You sure are happy that it didn't roll over when you have the lithium batteries burn under you as heat travels downwards. No, wait...

86 5.0L and cyclone3d like this.
  6. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Well... I am guessing that if the batteries were burning above you that there would be burning/melting other stuff falling down on you.

What we need is an auto-deploy capsule that evacuates all the oxygen out of the surrounding area so it can't burn - oh wait....

NeoNemesis likes this.
  7. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

Electric motor traction response is about a hundred times faster than an ICE engine, add low center of gravity and AWD, and maybe a set of these and it could be a fun off-roading vehicle:

Curious to see further refinement in the future with model Y or a Tesla truck.

Also Bolinger Motors has another interesting concept that's quite appealing, worth a look:

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Vercinaigh and 45454asasa like this.
  8. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

I thought we might get to see some Tesla model x off road performance in that video. I was deeply disappointed it was just an advertisement about how it looks.

Fleat, Hallucinator, Talyrius and 5 others like this.
  9. U-238

U-238 Limp Gawd

That last one almost seemed physics defying. I mean, it was practically on it's roof and just rolled backwards onto all 4s like it was being pulled with a rope.

10. Gweenz

Gweenz [H]ard|Gawd

Or hey we could just stop making stupid ass rollover prone SUV's, which is the worst possible vehicle type for 90% of the driving populace. The only reason we have so many SUVs is 1. it's a way around MPG regs for manufacturers and 2. people are colossally stupid. I cringe every time I see some 5'3" person alone in a black Denali/Suburban douchemobile struggling to manage the heft through a parking lot. You don't need that much vehicle.

MrTryfe, D-Money, focbde and 5 others like this.
  11. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

Having that much vehicle is a safety net for bad drivers.

Ever notice how a lot of large-SUV drivers are older looking moms?

86 5.0L, D-Money, tungt88 and 3 others like this.
  12. pentiumiiislota

pentiumiiislota [H]Lite

13. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

That isn't because of bad driving. A lot of older looking mom's/guys driving these got them so the family can go on a road trip in one vehicle to somewhere. It's a pain in the butt having to load up 2-3 vehicles to make a road trip to go somewhere an hour away when the loading and unloading takes at least that long. So it makese sense to get that 3 row SUV load 3 generations of family up. (Grandparents, Husband and wife, 2 kids in baby seats.) and go to x location for an afternoon than having to load up 2 or more vehicles for the same trip and deal with... (Oh I had to stop for gas pull over and wait and I needed to do x so wait and oops lost you at the light wait while I get my phone to pull up the GPS and so on and on and on... )

The market segment for these big SUV's is that. (or salespeople needing to transport clients.)

14. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

weebles wobble but they don't fall down, it's the same shit all the weight is below the center of the tires. The frame of the car passengers etc weigh little compared to the battery pack and motors
    crossover isn't a real designation they just call suv's crossovers now, it's a marketing term. You notice how suv's aren't really advertised anymore, all "small suvs" are now crossovers just as all large hatchbacks became crossovers etc.

15. Inacurate

Inacurate Limp Gawd

In before the "They said it was 'rollover proof', so I built a hot wheels racetrack loop and am suing them for false advertisement" crowd.

DF-1 likes this.
  16. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak Gawd

If you need a straw, just ask for someone to get you one.

17. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

The Bop Bag of cars.

18. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

19. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

CUTE
    131_0902_04_z%2bfebruary_2009_4x4_trucks%2b1991_geo_metro_1994_chevy_blazer.jpg

You didn't need to watch the whole video to realize it lacks the clearance level to play.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Nobu and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  20. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Putting nice rock through the bottom of it would be eventful however.

Nobu likes this.
  21. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

Was going to comment somethong to that effect. The fireworks could be impressive.

22. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

EVIL-SCOTSMAN [H]ardness Supreme

One day they will get the complete package right.

30 years from now ?

23. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

True though apparently they are going to titanium full length undercarriages on all or some models which sounds good in theory, but I'd have to know how THICC before I trusted my life on the harsh OFF ROAD conditions at the roughly 3 inch ground clearance it offers. I'd be just as concerned or more so of the battery itself overheating in a Baja 500 off road race though given the nature of lithium batteries wonderful tolerance levels to extreme heat. All that said and all jokes aside of Elon Musk being a real life Dr Evil the promise of EV's is great in area's, but needs refinement. I'm more keen on the human manned flying drones myself. I'm just wondering when Space X is going to go green and launch it's Lithium rocket. People what a bunch of bastards.

Not that impressive really I've seen better bonfires.

1526847363drxqvilj72_1_1.jpg

24. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

Was thinking more like this:

knowom likes this.
  25. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

That channel made a fuckin' mobile game...

What a world.

26. likeman

likeman Limp Gawd

i watch him quite often

27. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Well that didnt take long for the haters to show up.

28. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

Not hating on the tesla, just don't personally think it's suited to offroad use (unless you lift it about 2ft, modify the suspension, and have a beefy skidplate and rollcage...because if people take it off road, they will manage to roll it one way or another).

29. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Thats why I didnt quote yours ;)

30. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

Is it normal to do that test on sand? It seems awfully forgiving, and may be a contributing factor as to why it could come back to base every time.

31. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

It's more likely to roll on sand than asphalt. The friction drops dramatically once the tires leave the road surface, so the car is less likely to roll at that point. Whereas on sand it piles up in front of the wheel/tires, increasing the resistance to horizontal movement, but inertia will keep pushing the car forward and pivot on the center of mass.

hexamon and spugm1r3 like this.
  32. B00nie

Didn't take long for the fanbois to show up.

EVs are impractical and proven to be a great fire hazard in accidents (and afterwards if not properly neutralized).

33. RMCO

RMCO n00bie

What's its rating for burning uncontrollably if one of the batteries is punctured?

34. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Are you aware that "fanbois" is a personal attack and not a valid argument? That specific spelling has connotations to it that I surely hope you didnt intend.

Secondly I gave no argument that supports your assertion other than I was pointing out you had no real valid concern given the thread subject.

35. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

Fuel tanks used to explode (Ford Pinto), engines used to fall out (Chevrolet), tires used to blowout randomly (Firestone), and a dozen other design flaws that killed or maimed people have shown up over the history of the automobile. None of those are indictment of the automobile, or even a type of automobile. To try to indict EVs because a portion of the vehicle requires further improvement seems a bit dramatic. To try and say EVs are impractical ignores the fact there are places like Tokyo, New York, and Singapore, among others, where an EV is not only well-suited, but the perfect vehicle for improving air quality and reducing noise pollution.

Do EVs need to improve? Sure. Do we need to learn more about their risks? Absolutely. Are they the most dangerous, impractical vehicle on the road? Not by a longshot.

Zuul and Wierdo like this.
  36. B00nie

Are you aware that 'hater' is a personal attack and not a valid argument? That specific spelling has connotations to it that I surely hope you didn't intend.

Secondly your argument about my assertion was not valid given the recent statistics of post-crash catastrophic fires of EV vehicles.

37. B00nie

The statistic percentage of EVs schorching trumps the percentage of IC cars by orders of magnitude.

38. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

It's the other way around.

http://www.businessinsider.com/17-cars-catch-on-fire-every-hour-in-the-us-2013-11

https://insideevs.com/op-ed-top-10-causes-of-automobile-fires-ev-vs-ice/

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    45454asasa and spugm1r3 like this.
  39. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

neat.. got to see a small suv/crossover type vehicle lying on its roof on the way in this morning. it did NOT roll back over like the tesla

spugm1r3 likes this.
  40. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

It does not and I did intend it in the general sense. It was not personal as yours was. But welcome to my block list.

45454asasa and TeleFragger like this.