Tesla Model S Stolen with a Tablet

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
A UK Tesla Model S was hacked and stolen in just under three minutes. The car jackers used a tablet to find the distant key fob's signal. Once that got the car open, they struggled trying to unplug the car's charger for about a minute, jumped inside, disabled Tesla's Remote Access system, and drove off into the night. Teslas have been stolen before, but these thieves managed to do it without any social engineering.

Check out security cam footage of the heist here.

This Model S was stolen in Epping, Essex. The key was at the back of the house, but PIN to drive was off and passive entry was enabled. EDIT: According to Tesla, even if the thieves disabled Remote Access, Tesla could still turn it back on and/or track the vehicle. The fact that they are unable to means either the thieves removed the physical SIM (apparently easy to get to) or they used a battery powered device to block Internet access in the vehicle.

Digital criminals need to get what ever penalty ( if caught ) upped by a factor of at least 2.
And thats my nice statement, in truth i favor much more extreme measures as both in general and just the idiot branch, we have plenty of people to take from on this little orb.

I i might add, also why i have motion detect on the camera on my car, so anything human sized within 1 M of my car will send my tablet into beep frenzy and me out of bed and heading for the hard hitting utilities.
And i just drive a cheap mini car that you could get 10 of for the price of a model S.
But i have suffered 3 counts of vandalism since i moved to this apartment, and thats not good at all as i am a nice guy that have given no one grief here, so plain and simple vandalism, and since police dont care one bit i am forced to act as judge and jury myself.
And thats okay too, just be advised my take on such matters are not as spineless as my society have become over time, actually my MO will be more in tune with my countries long lost ancestors that terrorized and looted much of the western world.

They send one of your guys to the hospital, you send one of their to the morgue.
They mess with my car,,, i mess with their knee caps and collarbones.

Punk ass will be shimmying out of the back yard on their belly like the parasites they are.

Last edited:
Glad the Model 3 got rid of fobs. The cell phone encryption is much more secure than a fob ever could be

That Is what insurance is for

And a rfid blocker sleeve for the credit card key fob that you put in your wallet i.e. model 3.

Or just use your phones NFC to.ipen the car which is another option.

I'll be getting a model 3 performance in the next 3 to 5 months once I save some more cash.

This is why I cleaned out my garage so we could park both our cars inside.

Makes it much more difficult to steal or vandalize. Don't have to worry about the gas thieves drilling a hole the gas tank.

Also keeps the car look better/longer by keeping it out of the bright sun for at least part of the week.

Also, of note all of the Tesla's have received an update to have a PIN code to drive the car. So, if enabled you have to enter the code for the car to move.

wait until they need to charge it with super charger, it will be logged and tracked and disable through the charging port

I read the headline as, Tesla car stolen with a tablet left inside of it... it's a monday.

Does anybody have a follow up on this yet? I mean, a CAR WAS STOLEN!!! Lets mobilize. I mean they have a 112/115 chance of recovery so far, or do my high level statistics fail me? But damn it...the video was so gripping I actually care if the car was reunited with its owners.

This is why I cleaned out my garage so we could park both our cars inside.

You and I feel like the few in the country that feel that garages are for cars and not a bunch of useless $h!t that you will likely never use and eventually throw out in 20 years when you move? Sheesh! I look in my neighbors garages and I drive by - one guy has had a fridge taking up half of one side for THREE YEARS - it's not plugged in even. '70s harvest gold so it's super valuable.

Ugh. I don't get it. Aside from your house, cars are the second biggest investment in most people's lives. But you wouldn't know it the way people treat them. I have a 2002 that still looks, smells, feels and drives like new. It wasn't hard to do either.

You and I feel like the few in the country that feel that garages are for cars and not a bunch of useless $h!t that you will likely never use and eventually throw out in 20 years when you move?

I just built a bunch of shelves to get the junk off the floor so there was room for the cars. :p

Amazing how much stuff you can fit on a couple 4x8 metal shelves hanging from the ceiling.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
if you have access to the car's computer, it is hack able... nothing new here...

I just built a bunch of shelves to get the junk off the floor so there was room for the cars. :p

Amazing how much stuff you can fit on a couple 4x8 metal shelves hanging from the ceiling.

I wish I had a garage...but at my price range you don't get garages around here. You have to go up into the 450k houses to get a garage.

I wish I had a garage...but at my price range you don't get garages around here. You have to go up into the 450k houses to get a garage.
I've never seen any halfway modern houses that did not have a garage. Even all the little garden homes here have two car garages.

I've never seen any halfway modern houses that did not have a garage. Even all the little garden homes here have two car garages.

How are you defining modern? My house is a 1991. I would consider that modern but you might not. In some of the nearby neighborhoods there are more garages but those are newer developments and those garages are tiny single car fit a prius if you squeezed it in.

How are you defining modern? My house is a 1991. I would consider that modern but you might not. In some of the nearby neighborhoods there are more garages but those are newer developments and those garages are tiny single car fit a prius if you squeezed it in.
I don't even think I've seen a house without a garage in the last 50 years. At least here in Mississippi and Alabama pretty much every house made has a garage including the one small house I grew up in in the 70s. Just where I live it is absolutely not normal for there not to be a garage and in pretty much every case a two car garage at that.

I don't even think I've seen a house without a garage in the last 50 years. At least here in Mississippi and Alabama pretty much every house made has a garage including the one small house I grew up in in the 70s. Just where I live it is absolutely not normal for there not to be a garage and in pretty much every case a two car garage at that.

I wish I could say the same. When I was looking for my house garages tended to run the price up by 30-50k depending on the size. Homes of my age tend to not have them in my neighborhood. And in my price bracket it gets hard to find a garage.

Another item that was hard to find: a basement. I have a full unfinished basement but a good 50% of the houses I looked at did not have a basement. I dont think I could live w/out a basement. I already had to give up the attic since I couldnt find a single house with an actual walk in attic. It boggled my mind that they didnt have them here.

Depends on the state.
Here in Southern California most homes include a garage. Even the home I grew up in, built in 1958 had a 2 car garage.

My garage is a tight fit for 2 cars. I have to back my car into the garage, hugging the wall with the passenger side. (luckily I have a backup camera).
We can only exit the cars from the drivers side and have to be careful not to open the doors all the way.
Still, much better than leaving then outside like most people in the neighborhood (they use their garages for storage or extra living space)

A UK Tesla Model S was hacked and stolen in just under three minutes. The car jackers used a tablet to find the distant key fob's signal. Once that got the car open, they struggled trying to unplug the car's charger for about a minute, jumped inside, disabled Tesla's Remote Access system, and drove off into the night. Teslas have been stolen before, but these thieves managed to do it without any social engineering.

Check out security cam footage of the heist here.

This Model S was stolen in Epping, Essex. The key was at the back of the house, but PIN to drive was off and passive entry was enabled. EDIT: According to Tesla, even if the thieves disabled Remote Access, Tesla could still turn it back on and/or track the vehicle. The fact that they are unable to means either the thieves removed the physical SIM (apparently easy to get to) or they used a battery powered device to block Internet access in the vehicle.

Lol Essex.

C’mon guv’nor, your avving larf ain’cha ?

The facka’s, stealing my fakin motar, i’ll fakin kill em I tell ya, fakin kill em. I knew pat tate and tony fakin tucka, dont fack wif me mate.

Now Jog on.

Back