Ten Years Ago Today

396726_10151108954340111_624380110_22156577_2013629432_n.jpg

think this was around that time 2001 - the one before that i ran games on was a dual P3 i think (so the single cpu should have been the 2000+ which i know i replaced them with.
Half Life 1, yay!;)

My XP 1700+ system (complete with a Radeon 7000!), that I first acquired around this time in 2001. The pic is from '03 or '04... That system would be my primary until the end of '05, when I jumped on the dual-core revolution with an X2 3800+.

omg.jpg

Yea, my desk area was a monstrosity.

Old LAN pics are so great. I'm still using a pair of those Sennheiser headphones you have on top of your PC! :)

think this was around that time 2001 - the one before that i ran games on was a dual P3 i think (so the single cpu should have been the 2000+ which i know i replaced them with.
Damn, this picture takes me back. I used to load up on Bawls for all the late-night CS sessions. Good times, good times.

My Athlon XP 2500, the is picture from 2006

Don't mind the rugs on the screen and case.
Old-setup.jpg

this brings back pleasant memories. living in san francisco, i remember the 'viral' campaign AMD put out, the 'AMD Experience' which started out there in a parking lot at like 6 AM in the morning promising a 2000+ processor and motherboard to the first 100 - no one really believed it. i hardly did as well but took my tired butt out there....

arriving to a dark and empty parking lot with a few dozen other hard core geeks. and then this black truck/van shows up and they hand us some tickets. and then a quick stage....

and i come home with one of the new top-end cpu's and an msi motherboard.

of course, after we posted it all on the forums their next 'Experience' in san jose draws 2000 people. heh.

:D

I won a combo from one of those here in minneapolis. It was super cold out and I was bitching the whole time, that is until my number was called haha.

I totally skipped all of the XP craze, kind of wish I didn't but I spent all of my hard earned high school money on a Tbird 1400mhz, aladin board (yay no jumpers!) and a Ti4600 128meg.

That system was still running a year ago until the Ti4600 crapped out, the gpu just gave out. Gainward made one beautiful card.

I can't believe I never drank a bawls.

In hindsight, putting bawls in my mouth might have been delicious and energizing.

Was I the only one running a first gen koolance case back then? that hideous blue and beige thing?
koolance_PC2-C.jpg

I won a combo from one of those here in minneapolis. It was super cold out and I was bitching the whole time, that is until my number was called haha.

I remember being at that, cold and upset for not winning. Makes me want to grab a pencil and a old XP system.

Was I the only one running a first gen koolance case back then? that hideous blue and beige thing?

Not at all - I, also, had one...

IMG_0035b-1.jpg

Honestly, though, I rather liked those. At least, the integrated-watercooling-in-the-case thing was pretty nifty.

and don't forget that the 10 year anniversary of intel northwood is fast approaching as well. that is the route I went a decade ago and i remember playing a lot of MOH:AA, Q3, UT, and RTCW on it, and it is still going strong today. i love these "ten years ago today" posts, brings back a lot of good memories on here :D

Oh yeah I remember the all night lan parties, chugging bawls. That stuff would give you a wicked case of the shits in the morning. Vodka mixed in fairly well though. Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, and Enemy Territory over and over. We mixed it up later and threw in Jedi Knight 2 I think (or was that Academy?) All that came to a screeching halt in 2003 when I got a night shift job. Staying up all night suddenly took on a new, sad flavor. But one with a paycheck...

Loved those Fry's bundles back in the day. Athlon 2400xp and a free ECS K7S5A for like $150. I still had that one until a year or so ago, gave it away.

Thanks for this one.

I still remember putting together my Athlon Tbird 1.4 rig with the ECS mobo. Never was a stable set-up even after getting a nice Enermax 350 watt PSU. I ended up getting a Barton 2500+ and MSI mobo a couple years after and my parents are still using it daily. They both smoke, so that's one thing stacked against it. The Enermax PSU just went out this summer (they didn't replace the worn out APC UPS (batter was bad), they just plugged it right into the wall...). Anyhow I put a crappy 250watt Aopen PSU in to tide them over... that was 6 months ago. We'll see how much longer it lasts/they can stand it. Those were good processors.

This image is like a veritable check list of the late 90s-early 00's computer culture.

CRT? Check
Bawls? Check
Flip Phone? Check
Track ball? Check
CoolerMaster ATCS case? Check
Side window with black rubber trim? Check
CCFL case lighting? Check
Spindle of CD-Rs? Check
LCD in 5 1/4 driver? Check
Case with front Fan Controller? Check
FPS gaming? Check

This image is like a veritable check list of the late 90s-early 00's computer culture.

CRT? Check
Bawls? Check
Flip Phone? Check
Track ball? Check
CoolerMaster ATCS case? Check
Side window with black rubber trim? Check
CCFL case lighting? Check
Spindle of CD-Rs? Check
LCD in 5 1/4 driver? Check
Case with front Fan Controller? Check
FPS gaming? Check

I dunno, I don't see an iOmega ZIP drive.

-2 points

Haha so true, that's awesome. Can't forget the floppy drive, and the compaq presario keyboard. :D

Oh and dual cdrom drive, for copying CDs.

Those were the fun times I find though. I kinda miss the 2000's. Now we have better stuff, but it just does not seem as exciting anymore. But maybe that's just because it's me that has gotten used to it. We got our first computer in 2000, and I got more into computers maybe a few years later. I remember buying a 17" CRT at one point and that being a pretty big excitement lol.

Man,

I didn't have a camera back then.

Too bad, cause I'd love to post pictures of my rig from that time.

I had a sweet ass 22" Diamondtron CRT back then which kicked ass.

I would play CS (original, not source) back then at 1600x1200@100hz with vsync on, and I never went below 100fps. It was glorious. FPS has never felt as responsive as it felt at a constant 100fps with vsync on.

Abit NF7-S v2.0 + 2500+ Barton
RIP my old friend.

I had that board as well. Abit was the shit back then. I miss that company. I would still buy their boards today. I miss DFI as well. my buddy had the DFI lanparty NFII, I always wanted that board as well.

:( all my good teenage memories are coming back... Sigh growing older sucks.

I loved "penciling in" an overvolt or overclock. Felt so mad scientist back in the day. Water cooling was just getting its feet wet (so to speak)! Overclocking was a very rewarding experience back then. Man, I'm gettin' old!

I hear that.. I had my XP chip on water.. DD Maze waterblock, Enhiem pond pump.. I think I had a lufkin or something radiator.. was so long ago. I built that box over at Arena Computers when they were in buisness. Had a big arse Dragon etched on the side of it.. Good days...

Back