Ten Tips For Gamers To Get Ready For Windows 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft's Major Nelson has posted 10 tips for gamers to get ready for Windows 10. Most of the stuff on the list has been covered before or basic common sense.

Windows 10 releases to the world in just under 10 days and I’ll be in New York on the 29th of July to celebrate the launch with some of our fans. I couldn’t be more excited for the release of Windows 10. Not only is it being described as the best Windows ever, a number of new features like DirectX 12 and integration with the Xbox are going to have a big impact on gaming while uniting the two platforms.

I'm sorry Microsoft, bundling another attempt at G4WL with never make me want an Xbox or want to turn my PC into an Xbox. Your console is a dead duck.

Likes like Microsoft's once a year "We care about games on Windows, really. Seriously!" message is taken care of for 2015.

I'm sorry Microsoft, bundling another attempt at G4WL with never make me want an Xbox or want to turn my PC into an Xbox. Your console is a dead duck.

No, it is not a dead duck except for you. :rolleyes: That is ok, I can see how easily confusing it can be.

Don't feed the troll. He's busy enough playing Mario Cart on his Wii U.

LOL! Although, I have to admit from what I here, the Wii U is actually pretty fun. With this new CEO, things are looking better all the time.

No, it is not a dead duck except for you. :rolleyes: That is ok, I can see how easily confusing it can be.

No,actually it is. It has like 3 years max before its stagnant. It cant even handle todays games without some serious holding back

1. Check out the new features coming to Windows 10
IE in a new skin is still IE. Cortana is a sexed-up Clippy that no one asked for. And just what I wanted: turn my PC into an Xbox! :rolleyes:

2. Learn about DirectX 12
DX12 won't mean anything until we have games built on it. Also, another meaningless Xbox plug.

3. Did you know there is an Xbox Experience In Windows 10?
Sigh... Games for Windows Live is back, with a vengeance.
Okay, cross platform multiplayer is a welcome addition that we have been asking for for ages, but it has already been said that not every game will support it. Black Ops III developers have already said as much, because console players will not be able to compete with PC M+K players. But I guess this whole list is aimed at Xbox gamers, not typical PC users.

4. Take a moment to verify Your System Requirements
Fair enough.

5. Don’t wait! Reserve Your Copy Today
Pre-ordering a free digital upgrade? Why? It's going to be available for a year...

6. Archive Your Old Data & Create A Back Up
7. Hardware Drivers With A New Version Of Windows
Both good points.

8. Games and Apps for Windows 10 – New Games and Old
I like it, but doesn't mean much if I can't buy a game one time and be able to play it across all my Windows devices without having to buy it on each one separately. I've heard non-specific talk about this point, but we'll see what happens.

9. Xbox Controllers For Windows 10
Not unique to Windows 10, but I guess it's good to point out for those who don't know.

10. HELP! I have questions.
Support is always welcome.

I have my own list:

1. Ignore Larry Hryb entirely.
2. Install Windows 10, because you have to for Direct X 12.
3. Don't waste any more time and go back to gaming now.

I couldn't get past the idea of Windows having actual "fans" who would attend a launch party, as if it's some sort of boy band.

1. Wait for DirectX12 games to actually exist (2016 at earliest)
2. Realize there is no other must-have feature in Windows 10 while you wait
3. Get back to gaming on 7/8 and DX11 since that's what developers will continue to target for next 3+ years

Ditto.

I feel like there are only two reasons to upgrade to Windows 10. DirectX12 and an improved interface for Desktop users.

I have this feeling the first thing I'll be doing after the upgrade is feverishly disabling shit and uninstalling components.

Stuff I have no desire to have at all, and want gone immediately:
  • Anything Xbox at all. Even a single mention of the word "xbox" anywhere in any UI is going to send me into fits of rage. I don't want an Xbox (or any other console for that matter) and I will not buy one no matter what you do to integrate it into Windows.
  • Microsoft Edge: Don't care, don't want it, hope I can completely remove it. I don't browse much, if anything at all from Windows (Widnows for me is used for game,s and only games, if I want to do anything else, I use Linux)
  • Cortana: If I wanted something useless like Apple's Siri, I would buy an iPhone. I certainly hope this can be completely disabled so it is neither using any background CPU cycles, RAM or even a single byte on my disk.
  • Windows Store. I don't want a fucking App store built into my OS. I will never use it. Go away.
  • Cloud crap: I also flat out refuse to register a "Microsoft account" with my computer. There is no way in hell I should have to have a remote account to use a local computer. This concept drives me absolutely insane. EVERYTHING should be local on my machine. None of this awful cloud integration shit. It's my local conmputer, it should be able to stand alone, and be completely usable without ever having toc onnect to anything outside my local network.

"3. Did you know there is an Xbox Experience In Windows 10?"

Marketing doublespeak translation: "Did you know that now you can play Xbox One games if you own an Xbox One? Also, buy Windows 10 kthx"

On the plus side, Nvidia's drivers have been good thus far. A set rolled out this morning with features/performance akin to Windows 8, although 3-monitor desktop users are reporting some quirks.

You guys go ahead and beta test it for me first. I'll upgrade when I have no other choice or my 1 year free is about to expire.

Still kicking windows 7 64bit on my gaming rig. Hasn't let me down yet and I figure if it ain't broken don't fix it.

You guys go ahead and beta test it for me first. I'll upgrade when I have no other choice or my 1 year free is about to expire.

Still kicking windows 7 64bit on my gaming rig. Hasn't let me down yet and I figure if it ain't broken don't fix it.
Yep, no rush. I have been privy to and part of the early adoption of a new Windows version in the past, so I am certainly in no rush this time ;).

So Pro comes loaded with other features that many users who want to control their updates probably will never use. I used to always purchase the Pro versions of Windows for the extra memory support. With Windows 8 I realized that I didn't use the features Pro includes like Group Policy, and with the memory restrictions gone I decided I didn't need to spend the extra money for Pro. 10 is now in that same situation, except now you have to spend the extra money just to exercise some sane control over how the operating system is updated. My Windows 7 install had around 20 "critical" updates that I hid for various reasons by the time I moved to 8.1. Of course, it's "just" $40 :rolleyes:.

And don't be surprised if the "only 1 year to upgrade" line miraculously gets "extended another year by popular demand, we listened to you, our fans!"

Creating a false sense of urgency is marketing 101.

Microsoft should've bundled an exclusive DX12 game to showcase the improvements.

1) Wait until SP1 before installing! Let the other suckers beta test this garbage! It's KNOWN that it is being rushed to market...and there are VERY few benefits for those running Windows 7, especially for gaming...and a LOT of negatives (new "GFWL" being one of them). Let the guys at MS work through the next few months to clean it up before even THINKING of upgrading!

For home edition? Yes please! Now when I go to work on somebody's PC I won't have to wait 3 hours for Windows Update.

If you don't want automatic updates, use Pro.

IMHO, this should apply across all versions of all operating systems and all software.

There are WAY too many unpatched machines out there in the wild, contributing to botnets, identity theft and DOS attacks.

It's much like vaccines. if you don't get vaccinated, you are not just hurting yourself, you are hurting everyone.

What reason could anyone possibly have for not patching their machine the second a patch becomes available? Even if it is a bad patch, and your machine goes down, better than than be vulnerable online. At least while it is down the vulnerabilities can't be exploited! :p

I also hope they remove the ability to disable UAC, force everyone to have separate user level accounts for daily use, and maintain admin accounts only for when admin work is needed.

I feel like Microsoft put out this article simple to troll websites and get users fired up for internal amusement. Ill take the free upgrade, 10 runs pretty nice on my super fast core2quad (cries). I have an xbone so the streaming and xbox integration features should amuse me for a bit if anything to at least show off to people who dont know better lol.

1) Wait until SP1 before installing! Let the other suckers beta test this garbage! It's KNOWN that it is being rushed to market...and there are VERY few benefits for those running Windows 7, especially for gaming...and a LOT of negatives (new "GFWL" being one of them). Let the guys at MS work through the next few months to clean it up before even THINKING of upgrading!

Hmmmm, it is not garbage but, you would know that if you were using it. Oh well, enjoy whatever it is you are using, I know I am. (There is NO NEW GFWL regardless of the BS people here spout.) LOL, oh well, could not expect any better around there parts I guess. :D

Zarathustra[H];1041746909 said:
IMHO, this should apply across all versions of all operating systems and all software.

There are WAY too many unpatched machines out there in the wild, contributing to botnets, identity theft and DOS attacks.

It's much like vaccines. if you don't get vaccinated, you are not just hurting yourself, you are hurting everyone.

What reason could anyone possibly have for not patching their machine the second a patch becomes available? Even if it is a bad patch, and your machine goes down, better than than be vulnerable online. At least while it is down the vulnerabilities can't be exploited! :p

I also hope they remove the ability to disable UAC, force everyone to have separate user level accounts for daily use, and maintain admin accounts only for when admin work is needed.

I just want a faster way to disable driver verification for drivers I need for misc. microcontroller programming. Setting a permission flag for an admin account with that would be great. (unless it already is there and I havent seen it yet)

Didn't we just get finished cleaning up the fallout from the implosion of GFWL? There are games you still can't play after the service stopped running, while we waited for low-priority Steam ports.

Big names like Batman got immediate help, but lesser-loved titles like Dark Souls and Fable 3 got left in the lurch for some time.

Microsoft should've bundled an exclusive DX12 game to showcase the improvements.

Lol, time to port Halo 3 and make it an Windows 10 "DirectX 12 Exclusive."

And three days later hackers will get the game running on Windows 7 :D

Didn't we just get finished cleaning up the fallout from the implosion of GFWL? There are games you still can't play after the service stopped running, while we waited for low-priority Steam ports.

Big names like Batman got immediate help, but lesser-loved titles like Dark Souls and Fable 3 got left in the lurch for some time.

Yeah, I had the misfortune of dealing with a GFWL title on a friends rig once. I certainly hope to never have to go through that shit show again.

IMHO, for the time being, any title that requires this Xbox experience or whatever they are calling it, is a title I guarantee I will not buy under any circumstance.

Take the xbox out of the equation and allow me to install and play xbox games on the pc.

That's the only thing i'll get excited about. I neither own nor want a console.

YA think? but for that Microsoft would have to go back on 14 years of ignoring PC gaming and begin to actually care..They still don't, they only care about platform lock-in and forcing upgrades, which is the only reason they bother to update DirectX.

So, if I recall correctly wasn't DX11 originally a windows 8 exclusive? If I wait long enough, maybe they'll back port it to windows 7 :).

I just want a faster way to disable driver verification for drivers I need for misc. microcontroller programming. Setting a permission flag for an admin account with that would be great. (unless it already is there and I havent seen it yet)

I have some bad news then. Whereas Windows 8 and earlier would let you disable driver signing temporarily,. install the unsigned driver, re-enable driver signing and it would happily load the unsigned driver on successive reboots, in Windows 10 it will no longer load unsigned drivers. Enjoy.

Yeah, I may or may not switch to Win10 once some compelling DX12 titles are released. 'Till then I'm still hanging on tooth & nail to my Win7.

Other good ideas for M$ to consider:
  • Make Xbox DX12 compatible and magically have that improve the console enough to stop holding back the entire gaming industry.
  • Don't even think about resurrecting GFWL. Ever.

Tip 1) wait for Service pack 1/OS breaking bugs to be found and fixed (Usually a year).

Tip 2) Wait for games that actually need directx 12 to come out.

Tip 3) Wait for Apps/games you use on a daily basis to be tested and supported (i.e. stable and functional) by windows 10 before you upgrade.

Back