Temp question

rhouck

2[H]4U
I am having some stability issues on a new build and trying to rule out cooling as a factor.

Relevant hardware is:
- ASUS P5N7A-VM (LINK)
- E8200 (stock speeds)
- Scythe SCBSK-1000 HSF (LINK)
- Corsair 2gb DDR2
- Corsair 400CX

Fresh install of Win 7 Pro. It ran perfectly stable installing, setting it up, etc.

Then I when I had Media Center open and tried to run MusicIP (a music program to scan my music files and add them to a library across the network) the computer suddenly rebooted. It did this consistently.

However, I also just sat and listened to music through Media Center for awhile with nothing else open... when after awhile it suddenly just rebooted. On the flipside, I ran the MusicIP program with Media Center closed and it ran for 12 hours straight.

I decided to test temps. I did a Prime95 test and CPU temps were <50C always. I installed Lavalys Everest and got the same results... BUT I noticed that when leaving the burn test running for awhile, the "MCP" temperature would creep up, all the way to 103C! It didn't reboot off that.... but as soon as I opened MusicIP again while the test was running it did.

Now, my understanding is that, on this board, the MCP refers to the Northbridge... and that 103C is an absolutely ridiculous temp. Does anyone know if this temp is actually accurate? The board has an IGP whose temps is only ~5-10C cooler... but I expect that to be semi-hot.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text; computer is an HTPC and hooked up to a TV which won't display the proper resolution for BIOS when it boots (so I can't see any error messages if there even were any). But it never reboots with a "Windows has recovered from a serious error" or anything like that. I'm going to take it apart and check that everything is seated properly and see if I can check the NB temp with the cover off myself... but wanted to ask about that MCP temp. Thanks!

Yes that is too hot. (however I am assuming the temp reporting is actually reporting the MCH temp and that is not always the case. Only ASUS knows for sure precisely what that temp is actually reading. ) However, putting decent cooling on the MCH/Northbridge is a proven improvement aiding in OCing and even stability without an OC on both Intel and Nvidia chipset board.

Looking at the pictures of your board on egg, if it was up to me the first thing I would do is pull that piece of "bling" sheetmetal with "ASUS" stamped on it off of the MCH cooler. I would then measure across the resulting gap and find a (guessing here) 60mm or 70mm low speed fan (less than 1800rpm) and glue it on blowing down into the heatsink. It will be difficult to find a low speed fan of that size but since its a media machine you certainly dont wany a "whiny" fan on there. Doing a 7v mod to a higher speed fan is an option (hook fan red wire to +12 yellow wire from a 4 pin molex from power supply and hook fan black ground wire to to +5 red wire from a 4 poin molex from ower supply - voltage difference seen by fan is 12V - 5V = 7V = fan runs somewhere around 1/2 speed)

In addition to likely solving your issue the long term reliablity and live of the machine should be enhanced.

If you remove the MCH/Northbridge HS and replace the thermal compound and replace any crappy plastic spring loaded push pins with nylon nuts screws and washers from a hardware specialty store - even much more better. This actually might make the heatsink hotter to touch as it will start doing its job better, hence the fan.

One good rule of finger, with it in its normal operating mode, put your finger on the heatsink, If you cannot keep your finger there for a count of 10 mississippi's its way too hot.

Fan can be glued on with RTV silicone adhesive, put a blob in each screw mounting hole and just lay it on the heatsink fins and leave it alone for 20 minutes.

Thanks for the response.

The problem I believe was also exacerbated by the fact that:
1. It's in a half height case
2. There was a tuner card in the 1x slot right next to the NB
3. The single memory stick was closest to the NB
4. The single case fan which is far from the NB was only blowing out... and since the CPU fan is so slow spinning (for low noise), I think the air was too stagnant.

I pulled the tuner card, moved the memory, and flipped the fan... and now it is running at 83*C max under the same stability test. Now I don't exactly want to have to have the tuner card out indefinitely... but (assuming the system is stable from here on out), at least it will give me time to source a lowspeed NB fan. The NB definitely radiates a SIGNIFICANT amount of heat, even now (and certainly fails the finger test) which is irritating, so something will have to be done eventually.

I appreciate the guidance on looking for a NB fan and I have plenty of RTV laying around from motorcycle repairs! :)

make sure you replace your TIM. I change it on all heatsinks on all my mobo i ever buy. also i had the same problem with my northbridge reading insane temps. I also loaded everest and it gave some bad temps cuz i used the free version. Buya key for the legit everest and you will see the true temps. I did that and with the key version of everest gave the right reading. look at your temps in bios.

Fixed.

TIM = Thermal Interface Material. This is the material that should be present between any heatsink and the device it is on. It conducts heat from the device to the heatsink. There are many different types.

Back