Temp issues w/build

Pivo504

2[H]4U
I'm running a 4690k with asusZ97-A being cooled by a corsair h100i. I let asus software oc the cpu to 4.5ghz. However, it seems my Temps are much higher than they should be. When just browsing the net and watching videos on you tube Temps hit the high 50s,when gaming Temps reach 60 to 70! I ran prime and occt and the Temps were getting too high that I needed to shut both down. Everything is inside of a corsair 450d with 2 stock intake fans in the front. The cooler is set with the stock fans that came with the cooler as exhaust on top and there is no rear case fan. I have 2 noctua fans that I want to swap with the noisy fans that came with the cooler. I'm not sure how the Temps are getting this hot with this huge cooler for the cpu...appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Any mention of Room temperature and fan speed used?

have you checked that everything its right connected? specially the Sata power connection.. if you have already checked the next step is to check the backplate, the backplate have a unique mounting position, so be sure that the backplate it's in the right position just like this:

350x700px-LL-a71b1057_backplate.png

next steep is to make some pressure to the waterblock/pump under load. if the temps drops then probably you need to add some washers to the backplate and force the block make a better contact with the CPU.

Anytime you use auto-OC software, you need to go and check that your voltages aren't being set to something ridiculously high.

We really need to see the voltages you are getting when you have these high temps, because if the voltage is too high then that is your real issue.

Thanks for the responses. I will check on everything above Tom. The ac Temps in the house are set to 74 all the fan speeds in the pc are set to auto so if Temps rise the speed of the fans increase. How can I get accurate voltage readings? I'm not sure why the voltage would be to high the oc software should choose the safest voltage and safest Temps for the cpu...
I came across this thread and wondering if I should try this http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1873193. Basically taking the fans on the h100i and putting them to do intake instead of exhaust.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I will check on everything above Tom. The ac Temps in the house are set to 74 all the fan speeds in the pc are set to auto so if Temps rise the speed of the fans increase. How can I get accurate voltage readings? I'm not sure why the voltage would be to high the oc software should choose the safest voltage and safest Temps for the cpu...

Use HWmonitors or realtemps

It is not uncommon for the board to set a voltage that is higher than needed. IS your voltage set to manual in the bios? There are many cases where under stress the system will automatically add voltage and push it above what you want.

Thanks Zanlix I will check on those programs and find what the voltage is. I don't believe my voltage is set manually but on auto. I've never owned a motherboard that adjusts cpu speeds and voltage based on how much usage the pc is in. I would think there is a way to set the highest point the voltage would go?
BTW what is the highest & safest voltage possible for this cpu?

Last edited:
For sum reason when going into bios it shows my cpu is only@ 3.5 and the vcore is under 1...but when going under ai tweaker it says target cpu turbo mode 4500 and everything seems to be set at auto. Core voltage etc all are set to auto. Cpu core ratio set to per core. Epu power saving mode is disabled. Oc tuner is set to ratio tuning. Intel adaptive thermal monitor is set to enabled. When using cpuz I do notice the voltage bounce around at idle is under 1 but when running you tube videos it jumps up to 1.2 1.28

Last edited:
For sum reason when going into bios it shows my cpu is only@ 3.5 and the vcore is under 1...but when going under ai tweaker it says target cpu turbo mode 4500 and everything seems to be set at auto. Core voltage etc all are set to auto. Cpu core ratio set to per core. Epu power saving mode is disabled. Oc tuner is set to ratio tuning. Intel adaptive thermal monitor is set to enabled. When using cpuz I do notice the voltage bounce around at idle is under 1 but when running you tube videos it jumps up to 1.2 1.28

I have seen people push them to 1.35v, but I wouldn't go over 1.3v

If it is pushing to 1.28 under load at 4.5ghz that doesn't seem bad to me.

on my 6700k even at stock I have to set it to adaptive at 1.2v or it will push the voltage to 1.4v under load, with it set to adaptive and 1.2v I still see it push to 1.25v

What app can I run that will push the voltage to its max so I can see just how far the voltage is going?

have you checked the things I've mentioned above?. voltages for 4.5ghz seems to be good..

for voltage checking you can use Aida64 or Asus RealBench in Benchmark Mode.

What is the asus real bench ? s that installed on this motherboard from stock? I would like to run something that will push the cpu 100% to see what the voltages are getting up to. Axraxie I am going to check the backplate now. I looked into the Dual intelligent processor 5 software and it says the CPU Core voltage is set to adaptive with offset voltage at -0.020 and OC voltage is set at 1.295-0.020=1.275 Should I bump this down ? Still wondering why the software would OC and use unsafe voltages...

you are fine with that configuration. Dual Intelligent processor 5 actually works great for Devils Canyon chip overclocking and offer very good stability, specially to allow the Vcore Drop in idle situations.

And you need to Download Asus RealBench Its a realworld benchmark utility made by Asus Using as the name say real applications like HandBrake, GIMP, Luxmark, etc.. and give a system score.. those applications will run your chip at 100% and certainly there's nothing better ATM to test system stability, but as you aren't looking for stability it will help to find you the max voltages of your chip and overheating issues without trouble.

Araxie here is a picture is my back plate

well yes, there is your issue.. the backplate it's wrong mounted. you have to rotate it 45 degrees clockwise to the right position just like the picture I've posted above, the backplate have a unique position marked to be aligned with the CPU retainer..

just check the picture above and see the red oval and you will notice it immediately. it will solve your issue with the high temps

Ahh I see it now! Araxie if this fixes my Temps you are a miracle worker lol Is there a wrong way to set the radiator on the case?
What is the best way to have the fans for cooling on the actual radiator?

Last edited:
Ahh I see it now! Araxie if this fixes my Temps you are a miracle worker lol Is there a wrong way to set the radiator on the case?
What is the best way to have the fans for cooling on the actual radiator?

no, not a way to mount wrong the radiator.

about the fans well, it depend entirely of the case fans configuration a typical Front to rear/top airflow as general rule the fan will work better in push exhaust configuration, as it allow the radiator to be cooler overtime and also help to expel the hot air produced inside your case, if you want the lowest possible temperature for the CPU you can use Push intake but be aware that in that configuration all the heat produced by the CPU will be pumped inside case causing overall components to work hotter like RAM and Motherboard.

Also you have to take into consideration the GPU configuration as for example, Aftermarket cooled cards pump all the heat inside the case and if you lack of a proper airflow most of that heat will be pulled by the Radiator making it to run a little hotter is easy to see a increase about 4C or 5C in the CPU temperature by using a powerful aftermarket cooled card specially when overclocking its involved. with 2 or more cards you can make your case a little oven inside there with very hot temperatures without a proper airflow..

I tend to recommend exclusively the use of Exhaust Push (or push/pull if possible) as it don't affect the overall case airflow making the overall components to run cooler its like a more balanced configuration in my opinion. I prefer the added CPU temperatures but keep the rest of the machine cooler with good airflow; so its a matter of choice:

Push Exhaust = overall better case airflow, good enough CPU cooling.

Push Intake = Best Possible cooling for CPU, messed case airflow, overall increased temperatures of rest of components, but also mean a dustier radiator harder to clean overtime.

Pull Exhaust = As good as Push exhaust in idle and low loads but increased radiator temperature overtime while heavy gaming and heavy workloads that force the use of faster RPM to achieve the same cooling performance as push so it can become noisier than push..

Pull Intake = Similar to Push Intake overall..

What does the exhaust push radiator airflow look like? I currently have 2 front intake fans, the radiator is mounted to the top of the case. The two fans are mounted underneath the radiator pushing air up through the radiator. I do not have a rear exhaust fan because there would be much more exhaust than intake. The front intake fans are set and do not fluctuate while the exhaust fans on the radiator speed up when pc is loaded.

sorry for the late answer.. well I'll post an image with a Typical Front/Bottom to Rear/top Airflow with a single top mounted radiator. You aren't using the rear fan but that fan is needed to create a front to rear wind tunnel that will keep overall pc components cooler, it will also alleviate the CPU radiator work as the only exhaust way of your case specially with your configuration as your front fans are set to a fixed RPM so overall you have a cooler radiator which will immediately traduce into a cooler CPU but also mean you have more dust away of your radiator so you can spend more time using your machine and less time cleaning the radiator (to some people its a pain dismount and clean the radiator every certain amount of time). well in the image as described are the typical top mounted radiator the recommended configuration is the one you are using Push Exhaust. you can also use a push/pull exhaust configuration which it's the ideal in term of noise/performance ratio, but that's another topic.. =) fix your backplate first and then we can go to find the best airflow for your case

2el8eie.jpg

Ok I changed the plate on the back & it seemed to help sum with temps. I ran Prime on maximum heat & also ran OCCT & the highest the temps reached was 75. One core was 74, another 75, 72 & 69 Under gaming dota 2 and team fortress2 temps stayed under 60. Are these safe temps? I also plan to remove the stock Corsair fans on the radiator with the noctua nf -f12 120. The highest i saw the voltage go to was 1.312 What should I do next?

have you already bought those fans?. if not then I will highly recommend you to go with the better Cooler Master JetFlo. those are the ones im using right now, and after some serious use of push/pull of NF-F12 CM JetFlo Work better than NF-F12 in the same configuration with lower fan RPM and less noise... or if you can find at good price my recommendation will always be Gentle Typhoon AP-15 or AP-45 best fans ever made for radiators..

Voltage its OK not good but not bad, it could be better with more manual tweaking but you will be perfectly fine with that..and yes those temps are perfectly fine.. you can still lower a bit your temps by adding some washers or 1.5mm O'rings to the backplate it will force the block to make a strong contact with can drop the temperatures by up to 5C.. however at this moment you can be perfectly happy with what you have, glad to see you have solved your issues with high temperatures. what are your room temp at the moment of the test? that's important and also fan profile/speed? because if you are in balanced or quiet then temps are even better yet.

Room temps were most likely 74-75 degrees. Unfortunately I already have the NF-F12 fans...Everyone rants and raves how amazing they are for the radiator. However, I do think I also have the Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B5AP-15 120mm Case cooler but I think I only have 1. Which would be best? I honeslty didnt put a rear exhaust fan bc I didnt notice a temp difference on the CPU with or without it. I honestly just want something that will cool better than the stock corsair fans but is not as noisy.
How can I keep the same speeds I currently have but lower the voltage & still be stable?
Also if its really possible to lower the temps 5 degrees by just adding a washer or O ring would I have to remove everything again? Which would be easier to install out of the washer or o ring & where can I buy either and how would it have to be installed?
When you say fan profile/speed what program controls that? I noticed Corsair program and also Asus can control that? All I Know is that the 2 case fans in the front are at a set speed but the 2 fans on the radiator vary depending on what the PC is doing. I hear them speed up when gaming or doing other intense activity. So I guess they are set to auto & speed up when needed. However, I wonder if I can set the 2 front fans to vary their speeds based on the application to help with heat & circulating the air in the case?

well that would be just too much information to write and assimilate by you if you don't know entirely the motherboard BIOS, what I can recommend you is to google about Haswell Overclocking. Asus have a very good and comprehensive guide you can found it here take your time to be friend of your BIOS and understand it to the max.

About the cooler and fans profile and RPM you can use a software called Corsair Link you can download directly from here straight from corsair.

About the case fans if you are using it plugged to the motherboard you have two main choices to manage it: directly from the BIOS and/or with Asus AI Suite software that you can download Here (be sure to pick correctly your OS, i've chosen win10 64bit by default). there you can control most things for your mobo, even overclocking in OS in real time.

well if you have the fans then those are good, i've used it and always was pleased with those Noctua NF-F12..

about the Washers or Oring, sadly yes you have to remove everything again, here is a post with good information about size This post also have very good info with pics.

Well what are the fastest adjustments I can make to see if the voltages can be lowered some? Unfortunately the scythe model I have is 1225sl12h...I would like to get the voltage under 1.3 but still keep my oc. How accurate is the asus ocing software?

you can try increasing the negative offset voltage. actually its adaptive + offset -0.020 right? you can try -0.030 and test again. that should change the OC voltage and overall voltage usage, but I have to ask under what kind of conditions are your chip going over 1.3v?

Well how can I check? The only way I saw it reach 1.312 was under occt or prime.

Back