Tell me about Grados

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
18,017
So, I was planning to order some HD595's. They are pretty highly recomended, and look to be damn near the best of the best without breaking the bank.

Well, then a buddy of mine goes apeshit telling me how I could get some Grado's that are just as good for way cheaper. I looked into them a bit, but ain't feeling them. They are ugly as sin, and don't look very comfortable at all. However, if hes right, and i can get a much cheaper pair on par with the 595's... well then its something to concider. Quite frankly I think he's full of shit, and only thinks this because he has a pair of them, but i'll humor him and ask around. These will be used mainly for music (rock, pop-punk, emo, hardcore, ect) and a bit of gaming also. Initially paried with onboard, but later I will be getting an xfi.


EDIT: Also... an unrelated question, but it doesnt seem worthy of its own thread. I have a set of X530's right now (also to be upgraded when the time comes). Will I see any sort of quality different using the headphone jack on the speakers vs. plugging into the back of my PC?
 
The Grados will do you good for the type of music you listen. However, they are really lacking for games due to their lack of soundstage.

I'd just tell your friend to fuck off AFTER listening to your friends Grados :)
 
Grados are fine, but they're not as insanely good as he thinks. It looks like it's a matter of taste, and you know what you like. Get the HD595's.
 
Antagonist said:
Grados are fine, but they're not as insanely good as he thinks. It looks like it's a matter of taste, and you know what you like. Get the HD595's.

Does he? He has only commented that they look very nice, not that they sound very nice. How would he know what he likes?
 
synergyo1 said:
The Grados will do you good for the type of music you listen. However, they are really lacking for games due to their lack of soundstage.

I'd just tell your friend to fuck off AFTER listening to your friends Grados :)

I would... but he recently moved halfway across the country... so I can't try them.

Right now I have a measly set of HD497's.... but I will say this. The replaceable chord has saved me alot of money in the past, and it is just one more thing I like about the 595's.
 
As far as looks and functionality the 595's definatly fit what I am looking for, but sound quality takes precidence over those.

I wish there was a way to try all these before I buy them. I'd hate to drop the cash on either and then wonder what if. Right now, since I dont know how either would sound, and the 595's are far more apealing, I am steering towards those.


For what its worth, gaming is 2nd to music, but still important. I will be doing pleanty of gaming on them.
 
Viper87227 said:
As far as looks and functionality the 595's definatly fit what I am looking for, but sound quality takes precidence over those.

I wish there was a way to try all these before I buy them. I'd hate to drop the cash on either and then wonder what if. Right now, since I dont know how either would sound, and the 595's are far more apealing, I am steering towards those.


For what its worth, gaming is 2nd to music, but still important. I will be doing pleanty of gaming on them.

I think people tend to characterize Grados as fun. They also have a very snappy midbass, in my opinion, and a small soundstage. If that's your type of sound, then you may want to try an Alessandro MS-1.
 
Cyrilix said:
I think people tend to characterize Grados as fun. They also have a very snappy midbass, in my opinion, and a small soundstage. If that's your type of sound, then you may want to try an Alessandro MS-1.


Gah... every time I see those things, they just look so damn unconfortable.
 
Imo the MS-1s and the Grado SR-60s are not uncomfortable. They use the comfy pads, which are... well, comfy. The higher models use bowls, which you may or may not be fond of.
 
Bowls = ewwwwwwww.
Those are worse then the Flats.
And the flats are covered with that crap that reminds me of sandpaper.
If we rule out Larry's custom pads Teh winner for Grado pads IMO are the yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads. :D
 
there is absolutely no way to tell whether or not you will like grado's unless you actually listen to them.

I started as a senn guy, ended up with an hd650 and blue dragon v2 cable which completely stopped getting use as soon as I got my hf-1's and then eventually moved on to the gs-1000.

For some, grado's offer an absolutely intoxicating experience that is second to none. I love that "on-the-stage" or "front row" feeling combined with the liveliness, speed, detail, and feeling that you get with Grado's.

I've heard all of the senn line over 100$, and to me, 595's were just lifeless and cold. Others love them. Techinically, they're very very good, durable, comfortable, and come with a really neat stand, but I would rather not listen to music than to listen to 595's for even 5 minutes.

And, in terms of grado comfort, the bowls are uncomfortable at first, but after time, your natural body oils will soak into them, and they will eventually just mold to your ears, and you'll forget that they were ever there, its great.

In the end, what are you using these headphones for? Most people on this forum are avid gamers and in this case I would definitely not reccomend a Grado because they have such a limited soundstage, but for rock, jazz, pop, small classical ensembles they are absolutely fantastic. For large symphonic or orchestral works, none of the lower end grado's will really cut it as they have limited soundstage.

Sennheiser has a great name, and they definitely do make some very nice headphones, but they are in no way the end-all-be-all of headphones.
 
Senn house sound is kinda boring after my little run of demo'ing today. Still haven't found any Grados to compare, but the Senn wasn't my styled. I liked the Beyers I heard compared to the Senns.

I'm still looking forward to hearing Grados. lol

And if you don't like your bowls/comfies, why don't you go pick up some headphile c-pads? They make grados into circumaural!
 
I own grados

They are very good.

To sum up what has been said already in this thread.

1. They don't image well for gaming
2. The comfort level varies from person to person. There are mods available for the grado to do all sorts of things with them
3. They ARE ugly, but who cares?
4. They sound incredible with rock types of music.
 
Fryguy8 said:
I own grados

They are very good.

To sum up what has been said already in this thread.

1. They don't image well for gaming
2. The comfort level varies from person to person. There are mods available for the grado to do all sorts of things with them
3. They ARE ugly, but who cares?
4. They sound incredible with rock types of music.

They're not THAT ugly. But that's just personal opinion
 
My own opinions:

Grados are extremely uncomfortable
Grados sound incredible (I would take a pair over my current senns any day were they more comfortable)
Grados sound like you are sitting with the band on the stage, Senns do not.
Grados are indeed not *great* for gaming, but I would say adequate.

In the end it came down to a trade off in comfort for me, and I need my headphones enough that I couldnt wear Grados for extended periods of time.

Your needs might vary.
 
I'm in the Grado crowd, I own a pair of SR-60s, and true, they do look a little retro and might not seem all that comfortable, but I demoed some Senns and Grados and decided to get the Grados because I think they sounded better for the music I was listening to (mostly rock of the alternate nature). I do not use them for games.

I would suggest looking for some kind of audio store that you can demo stuff at, up here in Boston there are quite a few places (I did it at Audio lab, nice guys, helpful), but it varies depending on where you are. Usually it's a mom and pop kind of deal and not a chain store kind of thing.

Plus, I really like having headphones that make you look like a 1940s radio operator. :p
 
So, I just went and listened to some Grados (sr125 and 325i)...

Holy crap they are awesome. So much better than senns IMO. They just sound so much more full of life.
 
Unfortuntily, there isn't really anywhere around here where I could demo these things. Atleast not that I know of. We've got the regulars... Best Buy, Ciccuit City, Tweeter, Sam Goody, ect... but none of those would have them I dont think. We don't have any small specialty audio shops around here.

Just for comparison sake... what are some good Grado's out there. I absolutly do not want to spend over $200... but I want something that will sound very good without an amp.
 
I want something that will sound very good without an amp.

There is no need to go beyond the SR80s if you don't have an amp.
Even then it's kind of a waste cause the bottom end on the SR80s improves quiote a bit when used with an amp.
 
Mister X said:
There is no need to go beyond the SR80s if you don't have an amp.
Even then it's kind of a waste cause the bottom end on the SR80s improves quiote a bit when used with an amp.


Well, given that those are cheap then, would I be better with say the SR80's + an amp? Could I pull that off under $200?
 
Well, given that those are cheap then, would I be better with say the SR80's + an amp?

I think so.
And yea, there are quite a few decent sub $100 amps out there that work good with those phones.
 
Well, I have another concideration.

I could get a pair of SR-60's for music (I hear these are damn good for the price... input? Are the 80's worth the extra money?) and then get something else in the $130 range for gaming. Perhaps some HD555's?

I don't mind buying two pairs if they specifically excel in one area. Two woudl actually work well, as I ahve two seperate PC's for gaming and media. Makes it easy to switch.


Input?
 
Maybe go for SR60s + AT500s or HD555?

I would consider the Alessandro MS-1s as an alternative to the SR60s. I haven't listen to either of them, but I heard the MS-1s are worth considering?
 
synergyo1 said:
Maybe go for SR60s + AT500s or HD555?

I would consider the Alessandro MS-1s as an alternative to the SR60s. I haven't listen to either of them, but I heard the MS-1s are worth considering?


I was looking at the a700's. I could afford those and the SR-60's. Rumor has they are good for gaming due to being closed. However, I think closed, I think sweaty ears, aka bad for long gaming sessions. I don't know that it woudl be a problem, but i'd hate to find out the hard way my ears get to hot. They come in an open version also, but does that suffer their gaming potential?

So, we have a few possible scenerios.

Grado SR-80's + $100ish amp

Grado SR-60 and Sen HD555

Grado SR-60 and ATH-a/ad700

Solo HD595

Solo ATH-a/ad900


Comments on which each of you woudl choose, and why, woudl be helpful. All of those come to right at $200.


Also, in a strange turn of events... a friend of mine apparently says he wants me to have Grado's bad enough that he'd buy me the SR-60's for my birthday next week. Im skepticle... but if that happens, then it comes down to either HD595 or ATH900 to go along with them, or else still to 555 or ATH700 and try to track down an amp (do they make amps that I could use two cans on?)
 
TTT :)

I think I asked this somewhere before, but don't recall an answer. Would plugging into the headphoen jack on my 530's have the same sound quality as plugging right into my sound card, or could I see a quality loss there?
 
Some people prefer for their sound to be cleaner, more technically accurate...those are the kind that prefer Sennheiser. Grados are at the same level of quality but REALLY shine at rock; if you dont listen to a lot of rock, then Grados are not for you more than likely.All in all I personally would rather have a nice pair of sennheisers; i feel they are better all-around performers. But ideally i'd like to have both. Really want a set of HD595s and a set of Grado sr225s.....
 
Viper87227 said:
I was looking at the a700's. I could afford those and the SR-60's. Rumor has they are good for gaming due to being closed. However, I think closed, I think sweaty ears, aka bad for long gaming sessions. I don't know that it woudl be a problem, but i'd hate to find out the hard way my ears get to hot. They come in an open version also, but does that suffer their gaming potential?

So, we have a few possible scenerios.

Grado SR-80's + $100ish amp

Grado SR-60 and Sen HD555

Grado SR-60 and ATH-a/ad700

Solo HD595

Solo ATH-a/ad900


Comments on which each of you woudl choose, and why, woudl be helpful. All of those come to right at $200.


Also, in a strange turn of events... a friend of mine apparently says he wants me to have Grado's bad enough that he'd buy me the SR-60's for my birthday next week. Im skepticle... but if that happens, then it comes down to either HD595 or ATH900 to go along with them, or else still to 555 or ATH700 and try to track down an amp (do they make amps that I could use two cans on?)

Well, if someone is giving you a set of sr-60s, then i would go for the HD595s. That way you don't really need to buy an amp and you will have the best possible sennheisers for under 200 bucks. Use the sr 60s for rock, and the 595s for everything else.

I could get a pair of SR-60's for music (I hear these are damn good for the price... input? Are the 80's worth the extra money?)

The SR-60s are generally regarded as being the best possible headphones you can buy for under 100 bucks.
 
Viper87227 said:
TTT :)

I think I asked this somewhere before, but don't recall an answer. Would plugging into the headphoen jack on my 530's have the same sound quality as plugging right into my sound card, or could I see a quality loss there?

You will most likely notice a quality loss.
 
Viper87227 said:
I was looking at the a700's. I could afford those and the SR-60's. Rumor has they are good for gaming due to being closed. However, I think closed, I think sweaty ears, aka bad for long gaming sessions. I don't know that it woudl be a problem, but i'd hate to find out the hard way my ears get to hot. They come in an open version also, but does that suffer their gaming potential?

So, we have a few possible scenerios.

Grado SR-80's + $100ish amp

Grado SR-60 and Sen HD555

Grado SR-60 and ATH-a/ad700

Solo HD595

Solo ATH-a/ad900


Comments on which each of you woudl choose, and why, woudl be helpful. All of those come to right at $200.


Also, in a strange turn of events... a friend of mine apparently says he wants me to have Grado's bad enough that he'd buy me the SR-60's for my birthday next week. Im skepticle... but if that happens, then it comes down to either HD595 or ATH900 to go along with them, or else still to 555 or ATH700 and try to track down an amp (do they make amps that I could use two cans on?)

Closed means that they are sealed so that you (the wearer) get a little isolation from external noise. Open means there is no seal so people can more easily hear the sounds you're hearing and you can hear basically all outside noise (unless you got it cranked, in which case everyone will hear your stuff but you can't hear them :p ). Typically, open ear headphones are the best for listening to music (note that the high end Senns are pretty much all open ear, as are the Grados, ATHs...), but if you can't disturb people, then you'd want closed headphones.

Now what you're talking about is circumaural headphones, where you basically have the cups that go around your ears (see: most of the Sennheisers like the HD595). I don't really have problems wearing circumaural headphones for too long, my ears don't get sweaty, and they can be downright comfortable.

As for your list - I really can't say. I've heard both the HD595 and Grado SR-60s amped and unamped, and even for such low impedance headphones, amping does make a difference, but without having listened to it amped, you wouldn't know what you're missing out on, would you? ;)

I'd probably say the ATH900s or HD595s just because they have received a lot of praise from people who game, whereas Grados are great for plain old music listening. I use my SR-60s at work and was looking at getting a more 'serious' headphone for home listening, but I'd want an amp...Perhaps I should talk to MisterX :)

Sorry I couldn't help more, I'm pretty much a beginner to the world of headphones too.
 
I listen to alot of rock, so the Grado's are good for that. It's all they would be used for. I just cant get over the fact that they look so uncomfortable. I really like circumaural cans.

As far as the open or closed debate goes, disturbing others isn't an issue. It's purely a matter of weighing that closed headphones seem to be regarded as better for gaming, but I fear my hot little ears woudl get sweaty, and this uncomfortable, during long gaming sessions.

Right now, I am leaning towars getting a paid of SR-60's first. If I find them unfomfortable, I will return them for HD595's. If they are fine, I will get HD555's for gaming. If I get the grados free, then I will just get the 595's.
 
Viper87227 said:
I listen to alot of rock, so the Grado's are good for that. It's all they would be used for. I just cant get over the fact that they look so uncomfortable. I really like circumaural cans.

As far as the open or closed debate goes, disturbing others isn't an issue. It's purely a matter of weighing that closed headphones seem to be regarded as better for gaming, but I fear my hot little ears woudl get sweaty, and this uncomfortable, during long gaming sessions.

Right now, I am leaning towars getting a paid of SR-60's first. If I find them unfomfortable, I will return them for HD595's. If they are fine, I will get HD555's for gaming. If I get the grados free, then I will just get the 595's.

sounds like a plan!

Those sr-60's really are terrific for the money. Just, take the bowl pads with a grain of salt, give it time, after a month of use, the oils from your hair/head soften up the pads and they're really terrific after a while. Washing them in warm soapy water also helps, but make sure to dry them thoroughly before putting them back on your headphones.
 
I have the Grado 325's, and have no problems wearing them for hours.
Sound great, I listen to them using my Linn Wakonda preamp which gets my music from my X-fi Audio.
 
I don't understand why no one suggested used Ms-1 and a Pimeta (you could even have an amp custom done from MisterX, I have a PPA 2.0 built by him that I am extremley happy with). I honestly believe that would be the best sound quality at or around $200 total. I have the Grado RS-1 ($700 headphones) and my friend has the MS-1 ($100 new, 80 used), and for someone who doesn't have a trained ear, you won't be able to notice that much of a difference.

As far as my opinion of Grado's, here's a little story about how I got started in high end audio. I was looking for good headphones, and of course, thought of Sennheiser. I tried out 650's and they were nice. Was planning on purchasing them used for $350 or so when a pair popped up. By chance, I was over my Uncles house and he had these headphones called Grado SR-225. I tried them on and I was absolutley blown away. That night I went home and blew my entire budget on RS-1's. I had no cash for a source or anything, but I didn't care. I had to have that sound. I actually ran them out of my ipod for a while. Nearly five months later I still think that was the best decision I have ever made regarding anything electronic.

I saved up and eventually was able to build a system around them; now I have a high end PPA2 amp from MisterX, I'm in the process of buying a high end source (Storm D02 DAC), and I have top notch power conditioning equipment. At each upgrade I was more and more blown away by their capabilities. That is one thing to consider; how the heaphones scale. Because trust me, once you hear Grado's, no matter how much you tell yourself you won't upgrade anything, you will. It's the head-fi curse. I hate to do this to you, but check out www.headfi.com. You can read all you want about any specific headphone model and the proper amps to with them and such.

Oh, and as for gaming, I was Cal-M in CS:Source and used my RS-1's as headphones. When you spend $100+ on headphones such as Grado's or Sennheisers, keep in mind that while they may do things better than each other, they will both still be leaps and bounds above the el-cheapo logitech/altec lansing headphones, including soundstage and gaming.

If you want grado's, there are really only two options for your price; buy the SR-225 and begin saving for building a system around them (they will scale as you add better equipment) or get the MS-1 and an amp like the Pimeta. Or you could just buy the RS-1 now and save money in the long run :p
 
The Grado comfort issue is IMO blown way out of proportion. You just bend the headband back and your comfort problems are solved. They are incredibly light headphones so they just rest on your head and around your ears (bowls). As you wear them more, the pads will soften up a bit. I guess everybody's ears are different. Personally I would consider them to be the most comfortable headphones Ive had (Senn hd595, AKG k701) because the Grados dont have any clamp as long as you bend the headband back enough.
 
Back
Top