Telecommunications 101

Sorry I got the fiber thing wrong....what it does is break off into blood stream, makes its way into your heart, gets stuck inside the valves and pokes holes in your heart until you bleed to death.

Here is another safety tip. I learned this from watching another guy do it wrong. :) When you are cleaning a fiber. You typically use a microscopt (for lack of a better term) to look at the connector of the fiber. you can then see oil, dirt, grime and other nasty stuff and then use a clea-top <sp?> to clean it. MAKE SURE THAT THE LIGHTSOURCE IS POWERED OFF AT THE OTHER END OF THE FIBER!!! You see in single-mode fiber operations you are dealing with extremely high powered lasers thats are operating in the 1450nm range. Then add on to the fact that you will be looking through a microscope at 30x magnification. You can do some serious damage to your eyes looking directly into a laser like that, add to the fact that it is being concentrated through a microscopr and you get bad news.

I always terminate fiber while its unplugged at both ends, after I cleave it (score it for insertion into the connector) I use alcohol swipe pads to clean the fiber. then i use the fiberscope (that's the official name I think) to verify I made a good termination. what youll see if you ever have to do this is a small circle with a darker and smaller circle inside of it. the outer circle is the jacket and the inner circle is the fiber, youre looking for a smooth and clean surface with no light spots (often look yellow) and youll have a good connection.

Does anybody have a good tutorial / how-to for cable lacing? I've seen it done by alot of the telco guys and have been trying to learn how to do it but I can't seem to find a good how-to. Cable lacing looks amazing and wears better on the cables, not as much worry about over-tightening the zip-tie.

thats something you need to be taught hands on....tough stuff

Thanks Kaos, I've learned quite a bit from one of our CO tech's....he's been cable lacing for 35+ years so he knows his stuff. It's a pain in the butt but every data center install we've done since I've learned it I've been complimented about how nice everything looks and have actually taught a few other IT guys how to cable lace. I'm a little overboard now as I hate seeing cables out of place or zip tied down.

well you know what zip ties can do....nasty little things for permanent installs. I really prefer velcro for smaller environments, but for bicsi nothing beats a laced cable.

Flagg said:
Here is another safety tip. I learned this from watching another guy do it wrong. :) When you are cleaning a fiber. You typically use a microscopt (for lack of a better term) to look at the connector of the fiber. you can then see oil, dirt, grime and other nasty stuff and then use a clea-top <sp?> to clean it. MAKE SURE THAT THE LIGHTSOURCE IS POWERED OFF AT THE OTHER END OF THE FIBER!!! You see in single-mode fiber operations you are dealing with extremely high powered lasers thats are operating in the 1450nm range. Then add on to the fact that you will be looking through a microscope at 30x magnification. You can do some serious damage to your eyes looking directly into a laser like that, add to the fact that it is being concentrated through a microscopr and you get bad news.

true on the fiberscope, but most good ones have IR filter as an added safety feature, but yes make sure the far end is dark before looking into it.

Back