TEKKEN 7 is coming to PC - Lead platform due to engine

Yea, but like most fighters you should know all of them. When I was younger, I knew all the characters. Every one. I would play and learn all of their movesets. It helps in countering if you know the moves and their buttons. As, Jin has a reversal based on certain button combos. If you don't know what animation is tied to what button press, then it's hard to counter a throw, or combo. The reversal game in Tekken isn't as deep as Dead or Alive (which is almost purely based around) but there is certainly an aspect to it.

I'm not nearly as patient as I use to be when it comes to fighters. I just don't have it in me to play them like I use to. Still, I hold a special place in my nerd heart for Tekken. It was the first fighter was actually okay at. Street Fighter was so cruel to me growing up, because the fighter was a 6 button one, and I couldn't wrap my head around the limits of a four button controller and shoulder buttons.

I wouldn't improve in Street Fighter until I got an arcade stick.
Yeah Tekken has a lot of moves and strings, but they always get boiled down to key situation responses and what is considered safe in competitive play. And oh c'mon, YXR (light medium hard punch), LBA (light medium hard kick). The only time you had to change the way you held the SNES controller was if you wanted to be a total cheese ball with the light jump kick to light crouching kick spam nonsense (lol).

Yeah Tekken has a lot of moves and strings, but they always get boiled down to key situation responses and what is considered safe in competitive play. And oh c'mon, YXR (light medium hard punch), LBA (light medium hard kick). The only time you had to change the way you held the SNES controller was if you wanted to be a total cheeseball with the light jump kick to light crouching kick spam nonsense (lol).

I was like 8 during the reign of Super Nintendo fighting days. Secondly, I think the default config was "HP" and "HK" on the left and right shoulder buttons.

Reactions: blkt
like this
I still rock a pad for everything even though I grew up in the arcade era. I feel comfy playing on a big 500 lb. cabinet, but I'm a little too spazzy for a home arcade stick.
With Street Fighter I use my thumb for the face buttons but with Tekken you borderline have to use your fingertips. Re-mapping the shoulder buttons is tournament legal, so that can alleviate some issues (like moves that involve 1+4 or 2+3) if you stick with your thumbs. These days in both Street Fighter and Tekken you'll see a pretty even mix of pad and stick players.

I used to be pretty good back in the Tekken 3-5 days. I wasn't national tournament caliber, but I could consistently split matches with regional qualifiers. King, Armor King, Ganryu, and Jack all the way.

By the time they got to Tekken 5, there's essentially almost no way to totally learn the game because there are 40 characters with a minimum of 75 moves each. That doesn't count random 3-hit hi/lo strings either. The key is to know your ranges and snuff things before they can get going. The old strategy of eating the lows to defend the mids/highs mostly holds true for the original cast members. It's all of those new mashy characters (that belong in DOA) that nullify that. Supposedly Tekken 7 has minimized the mash factor and there are no longer combos that re-bounce people 2-3 times as well. In Tekken 6 you might as well just put your controller down if you get hit by a launcher.

like this
I was like 8 during the reign of Super Nintendo fighting days. Secondly, I think the default config was "HP" and "HK" on the left and right shoulder buttons.
Yeah, I am just giving you a hard time. When I got the game, I almost immediately went into the options and changed the button mapping because I felt the defaults were illogical. I also remember feeling cheated, and the game was somehow lacking, because the game cartridge was not huge like the development cart pictured in EGM magazine (lol). Good times, I was like...11 years old and totally fixated.

I still rock a pad for everything even though I grew up in the arcade era. I feel comfy playing on a big 500 lb. cabinet, but I'm a little too spazzy for a home arcade stick.
With Street Fighter I use my thumb for the face buttons but with Tekken you borderline have to use your fingertips. Re-mapping the shoulder buttons is tournament legal, so that can alleviate some issues (like moves that involve 1+4 or 2+3) if you stick with your thumbs. These days in both Street Fighter and Tekken you'll see a pretty even mix of pad and stick players.

I used to be pretty good back in the Tekken 3-5 days. I wasn't national tournament caliber, but I could consistently split matches with regional qualifiers. King, Armor King, Ganryu, and Jack all the way.

By the time they got to Tekken 5, there's essentially almost no way to totally learn the game because there are 40 characters with a minimum of 75 moves each. That doesn't count random 3-hit hi/lo strings either. The key is to know your ranges and snuff things before they can get going. The old strategy of eating the lows to defend the mids/highs mostly holds true for the original cast members. It's all of those new mashy characters (that belong in DOA) that nullify that. Supposedly Tekken 7 has minimized the mash factor and there are no longer combos that re-bounce people 2-3 times as well. In Tekken 6 you might as well just put your controller down if you get hit by a launcher.
Yes, I have not been following the Japanese arcade release so it will be totally new for me. I just hope it has returned somewhat to its roots (pre-Tekken 4-6). I'd like to be able to knowingly counter some moves and revolve around some real-time strategy instead of spam and pray or seemingly infinite combos.

I've watched some tournaments for 7.. A few pitter-patter low hits and quick pokes setting up a massive launch combo that does 50% damage.
Sad to hear that, that's exactly what kept me away from this series. I picked up Tekken 6 a few years ago not knowing anything about it, as a casual fan who used to play T2/3/tag in arcades back in the day and none since. After spending some time with it, and watching pros play I was very disappointed at how much the gameplay focused around excessive amounts of lengthy juggles.

Every single strategy seemed to be (1) launcher (2) 10x juggle combo. That's not the kind of gameplay I had fun with back in the day where juggles were maybe 3-4 hits and 6 hits was a "long" one. Back then launchers were not the primary goal. It seemed like bad design/unfun gameplay and I gravitated towards Street Fighter 4 for my fighting game fix.

Some people like that though, nothing wrong with that. I'm glad the PC is now a priority platform for fighting games and hope the trend keeps up.

like this
Sad to hear that, that's exactly what kept me away from this series. I picked up Tekken 6 a few years ago not knowing anything about it, as a casual fan who used to play T2/3/tag in arcades back in the day and none since. After spending some time with it, and watching pros play I was very disappointed at how much the gameplay focused around excessive amounts of lengthy juggles.

Every single strategy seemed to be (1) launcher (2) 10x juggle combo. That's not the kind of gameplay I had fun with back in the day where juggles were maybe 3-4 hits and 6 hits was a "long" one. Back then launchers were not the primary goal. It seemed like bad design/unfun gameplay and I gravitated towards Street Fighter 4 for my fighting game fix.

Some people like that though, nothing wrong with that. I'm glad the PC is now a priority platform for fighting games and hope the trend keeps up.

I'd say it's MUCH better than 6 and TTT2. With those, they added a ridiculous re-bounce mechanic that made juggles go on for days. If there was a wall in play, some were instant-death or at least one mix-up from it. Single moves pretty much disappeared, too. Nearly every move in the game had at least one follow-up. It led to a world of endless mix-ups and combos that went on forever. TTT2 was like a game full of 40 Ninas.

7 still has high damage combos, but they aren't quite as excessive. Damage is dialed back a bit for most characters, too. Re-bounces are gone and apparently so are a lot of the follow-up moves that kept strings rolling for too long. I still prefer the old days of a launcher and 3-4 hits, but at least it feels like the pacing has relaxed a bit. Time will tell, though. You have to think that with the game reaching 1000x more people next week that abuses will probably pop up.

like this
Yeah, I am just giving you a hard time. When I got the game, I almost immediately went into the options and changed the button mapping because I felt the defaults were illogical. I also remember feeling cheated, and the game was somehow lacking, because the game cartridge was not huge like the development cart pictured in EGM magazine (lol). Good times, I was like...11 years old and totally fixated.

Well, my problem with 2D fighters is mostly around the combo of d-pad circles and button combos. So, arcade sticks helped me.

Amazon support said it doesn't, however they are looking into it. i'd wait for an official reply from amazon.

Since this is the sort of game where dropped frames are problematic, I'll probably look toward 4K with some details turned down. If they offer resolution scaling (like SF5), that's always nice too. I can run most games at 4K x 0.75.

Looks like EventHubs has a "friendly" pad vs. stick debate going on right now:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...exists-fgc-results-show-why-archaic-thinking/

Something a lot of people are overlooking is that the death of arcades is a major factor. Korean and Japanese players still use sticks mainly because they also still have arcades. That's where their scene is still rooted. They also don't have a ton of new blood at high levels, either.
In the US, Europe, and South America we're seeing a generation of players that never grew up with arcades and have always played with a pad.
It's entirely a preference thing. Pads tend to be cleaner for movement while stick setups allow for better rapid button presses. It's pretty damn tough to do sequences like E. Honda's hand combos (ie. standing LK into hands) on a pad. Luckily Tekken doesn't really have anything like that. About as rapid as it gets are crouching dash cancels, which are movement related.

I bought an old Street Fighter game from the online Sony store. Big Mistake. All those old fighting games run too fast on more modern hardware. I have Tekken 5 though so am ok for fighting games on PS3 but that SF game was a waste of my money and Sony should not be selling it for PS3 or better.

I bought an old Street Fighter game from the online Sony store. Big Mistake. All those old fighting games run too fast on more modern hardware. I have Tekken 5 though so am ok for fighting games on PS3 but that SF game was a waste of my money and Sony should not be selling it for PS3 or better.

Which one? HD Remix and Street Fighter 3 both run as intended for the PS3. The only other SF games for the PS3 were the SF4 games and SF x Tekken. I guess there are also the old Street Fighter Collection and Alpha Anthology games for PS2. They still run fine on my PS3 via backwards compatibility. I still play them from time to time. I remember the PS3 backwards compatibility having some flags you could toggle for the sake of compatibility. You might try toggling some BC settings.

Man, I wish Capcom would port HD Remix to Steam.

There's a chance we'll see Ultra SF2 for some other systems and/or Steam. Ono mentioned that if the Switch version was successful they would port the game elsewhere. Considering how sparse the Switch's library is, that probably isn't out of the question. I can't get a great answer about how much that game inherits from Remix, but it at least has the same graphics.

I hope something saves the scene. SF5 just isn't doing it for anyone I know. I used to go to multiple tourneys a month for SF4 plus weekly ranbats then the scene just fucking died about 2 weeks after SF5 came out. Even watching the pros I just can't get hype. I hope Tekken does well. We need something.

Better than nothing. Hate that it's tied to a niche console's sales.
as opposed to the niche PC fighting market? TBH tho, I can't decide if i should buy this on PC to play in 4k or buy it on my PS4 where i know the player base will be huge. 1st world probs.

as opposed to the niche PC fighting market? TBH tho, I can't decide if i should buy this on PC to play in 4k or buy it on my PS4 where i know the player base will be huge. 1st world probs.

See, that doesn't make any sense. PC has a far larger installed user base than the Switch. If it were based off sales for PS4 or Xbone, I wouldn't have said the same thing. However, basing it off sales on a console that the majority of the people can't even get yet...doesn't make sense. It's kinda crappy, actually.

PC sales for Capcom titles are pretty damn solid. Hell, Arksys has had no problems funding their ports of Blazblue. We've gotten all of the main series. So the thought that SFII HD or whatever it's called now is on hold until sales of Switch proves itself, is kind of a raw deal.

Anyway, the best answer Capcom has ever actually said was their inability to sell the 2D remakes because of emulation. It's why they never made the MvC 1 and 2 ports or Darkstalkers for Steam. They didn't feel there was a point. I disagree because I would prefer to purchase an official bundle/release of a product than just emulate it.

Last edited:
I hope something saves the scene. SF5 just isn't doing it for anyone I know. I used to go to multiple tourneys a month for SF4 plus weekly ranbats then the scene just fucking died about 2 weeks after SF5 came out. Even watching the pros I just can't get hype. I hope Tekken does well. We need something.

King of Fighters is coming at the end of June.

See, that doesn't make any sense. PC has a far larger installed user base than the Switch. If it were based off sales for PS4 or Xbone, I wouldn't have said the same thing. However, basing it off sales on a console that the majority of the people can't even get yet...doesn't make sense. It's kinda crappy, actually.

PC sales for Capcom titles are pretty damn solid. Hell, Arksys has had no problems funding their ports of Blazblue. We've gotten all of the main series. So the thought that SFII HD or whatever it's called now is on hold until sales of Switch proves itself, is kind of a raw deal.

Anyway, the best answer Capcom has ever actually said was their inability to sell the 2D remakes because of emulation. It's why they never made the MvC 1 and 2 ports or Darkstalkers for Steam. They didn't feel there was a point. I disagree because I would prefer to purchase an official bundle/release of a product than just emulate it.

Ah i must have missed the part about the switch. I dont consider that a legitmate console.

I had to cave and buy a PS4 for my Injustice 2 fix. Wish it would have been on PC at release. Fucking great game. Now I don't know if I'll get MvC Infinite for PC or PS4.

Not on topic but there are no other fighting game threads here

See, that doesn't make any sense. PC has a far larger installed user base than the Switch.

While true, the vast majority of that install base isn't playing or buying fighting games. Most aren't buying or playing games in general. Even if you narrow everything down to say...the people that purchased SF4 or SF5 on the PC, the Switch port of a 23 year old mess of a game will likely still best those #'s. The install base doesn't have many choices and they're all about nostalgia.

Capcom has really been making great PC games like you mentioned, though. Lots of specific options, updates, and optimization for pretty much everything they've released since Lost Planet. That's when they turned a corner in a big way. DmC, RE5-7, all of the SF games, Dragon's Dogma, etc. Whenever they release anything new, there's never any debate which platform I'm going for. Wish it was like that for every developer.

Which one? HD Remix and Street Fighter 3 both run as intended for the PS3.

Just went and checked my purchase history on PS3 and it is Mortal Kombat 2 and not SF, sorry. But, yea, it runs too fast on the PS3 but Sony sold it for PS3 anyway, or I am really bad at it. I have no issue with Tekken5 so am quite certain I am correct about MK2 running too fast.

Just went and checked my purchase history on PS3 and it is Mortal Kombat 2 and not SF, sorry. But, yea, it runs too fast on the PS3 but Sony sold it for PS3 anyway, or I am really bad at it. I have no issue with Tekken5 so am quite certain I am correct about MK2 running too fast.

Interesting, but not too shocking. Several of the older MK games and collections shipped with major bugs. Midway had some awful QC prior to Deadly Alliance. The old games were fun, but they were a mess.

Interesting, but not too shocking. Several of the older MK games and collections shipped with major bugs. Midway had some awful QC prior to Deadly Alliance. The old games were fun, but they were a mess.

Lots of older games will run too fast on newer hardware. Bought Commandos game from Steam, same issue, the AI eyes scan much faster than they used to which makes the game much harder.

While true, the vast majority of that install base isn't playing or buying fighting games. Most aren't buying or playing games in general. Even if you narrow everything down to say...the people that purchased SF4 or SF5 on the PC, the Switch port of a 23 year old mess of a game will likely still best those #'s. The install base doesn't have many choices and they're all about nostalgia.

Capcom has really been making great PC games like you mentioned, though. Lots of specific options, updates, and optimization for pretty much everything they've released since Lost Planet. That's when they turned a corner in a big way. DmC, RE5-7, all of the SF games, Dragon's Dogma, etc. Whenever they release anything new, there's never any debate which platform I'm going for. Wish it was like that for every developer.

Still, the logic is flawed because the conversation is about Switch. Again, if it were any other console, you'd have a point.

Ultra SF2 probably has more people playing it than SF5 does :eek:
It's a clumsy online experience and it's way overpriced, but at least there are matches to be had.

EDIT: After day 1 I've been getting more and more laggy matches. There are also almost no casual matches at all to be had. Ranked seems to have roughly the same population as SF5, though.

Looking forward to Tekken as I don't think this game is going to be in my rotation for long.

Last edited:
Yup, got my CDKeys code last night and pre-loaded everything. Looks like it's going to unlock around 5PM Pacific. Pumped to give King a shot. Hopefully online isn't just a bunch of DOA-style masher characters.

Yeah, I'm really excited to play my first PC tekken. I really hope that namco changes their mind and let us play against PS4 players, otherwise it's going to be a ghost town online.... Anyone has impressions about the pc port?

I played it for a bit last night. Only had about 20 minutes, but I like it. The graphics options have a resolution scaling slider so I can go with my preferred 4K/Max settings at 65%. Love that feature.
Graphics are okay, but not great, though. It feels like there's a strong blur effect on everything so I'll have to play around with the AA settings to see if that's the culprit. Street Fighter 5 and Killer Instinct look much better, IMO, though.

I'm playing with a PS4 pad and the Sony wireless adapter because Tekken requires too many dash movements to use an analog stick. You have to disable all of the PS4 controller settings in Steam, but it works fine once you do.
Gameplay is smooth. It's fast, but not excessively so. I noticed that several multi-move sequences were removed or adjusted. A few sequences that have high/low components allowed me to block the next hit after eating the low hit, which is nice. Hopefully that means no more DOA-style high/low spam.
It feels like Tekken, though. Apparently Namco did a lot of tinkering with the Unreal engine to make sure moves felt correct and I'd say they mostly do.

I'll give online a shot this weekend and report back.

I played it for a bit last night. Only had about 20 minutes, but I like it. The graphics options have a resolution scaling slider so I can go with my preferred 4K/Max settings at 65%. Love that feature.
Graphics are okay, but not great, though. It feels like there's a strong blur effect on everything so I'll have to play around with the AA settings to see if that's the culprit. Street Fighter 5 and Killer Instinct look much better, IMO, though.

I'm playing with a PS4 pad and the Sony wireless adapter because Tekken requires too many dash movements to use an analog stick. You have to disable all of the PS4 controller settings in Steam, but it works fine once you do.
Gameplay is smooth. It's fast, but not excessively so. I noticed that several multi-move sequences were removed or adjusted. A few sequences that have high/low components allowed me to block the next hit after eating the low hit, which is nice. Hopefully that means no more DOA-style high/low spam.
It feels like Tekken, though. Apparently Namco did a lot of tinkering with the Unreal engine to make sure moves felt correct and I'd say they mostly do.

I'll give online a shot this weekend and report back.

Can you link to the wireless adapter you use? I currently play on an arcade stick, but sometimes I just want to relax on the couch with a controller.

Can you link to the wireless adapter you use? I currently play on an arcade stick, but sometimes I just want to relax on the couch with a controller.

Sure - it's the official Sony model: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DualShock-4-Wireless-Adaptor-playstation/dp/B01KWLKKQU
It works with Steam by default. I tried numerous Bluetooth dongles, but all of them had latency issues and dropped inputs. This one works nearly as well as the official Xbox wireless adapters. If an adapter can work with a fighting game, it can work with anything.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure - it's the official Sony model: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DualShock-4-Wireless-Adaptor-playstation/dp/B01KWLKKQU
It works with Steam by default. I tried numerous Bluetooth dongles, but all of them had latency issues and dropped inputs. This one works nearly as well as the official Xbox wireless adapters. If an adapter can work with a fighting game, it can work with anything.
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the DS4 and adapter. Should have it tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been happy with it. Some games are quirky, but the easiest way to ensure everything works with it is to use Steam as your front-end. You can just go to the Steam menu and choose to "add a non-Steam game to your library." From there, you can just see how it works by default. If it doesn't seem to be working (or working right), pop into the Steam big picture mode and try checking or unchecking the PS4 controller support box. Some games like that functionality, while other don't.

Downloading right now. I forgot the release date but my sub-conscious must not have as I was playing through all the other previous Tekken's earlier this week.

Back