Technology Gone Wrong: The Budweiser Buddy Cup

HardOCP News

[H] News
Someone please tell me this is fake. As if things weren't bad enough now with everyone checking in, Instagraming, Facebooking and Tweeting while you are partying, now there is this. :(

Who cares? If you drink Budweiser you probably need all the friends you can get.

Sometimes I wanna perv on some hot girls pictures on facebook but I'm not friends so the pics are restricted. Now I can go to a bar, clink my cup with every hot girl I see, and later go back and perv all their pictures.

I'm not seeing a downside other than my wife wondering who all the sluts are that keep showing up in my friends list.

What happens when you buddy cup a one night stand.

Then you gotta hide yo kids and yo self, cause someone gonna
come stalkin up in there

Somebody sits down their buddy cup down while they go to the can. Friends pick it up and clink glasses with every ugly/scary woman in the bar. Great...

I agree with another assessment, this is probably viral marketing vaporware.

You don't have to put Bud products in the cup.

Haha, its one way to remember who you got lucky with the night before: WTH did I do last night? (checks facebook) OH HELL NO!!!!

LMAO

I don't know about you, but where I live nearly every everyone drinks these light American lagers, despite the fact that there is a huge craft industry here in the pacific north west. That being said, when I bring my double IPA's, doppelbocks, and porters to a party, no one even wants to sample them! :D

I don't know about you, but where I live nearly every everyone drinks these light American lagers, despite the fact that there is a huge craft industry here in the pacific north west. That being said, when I bring my double IPA's, doppelbocks, and porters to a party, no one even wants to sample them! :D

Nobody drinks that crap up here, you just have bad friends. You should shame them!

Sounds like the midwest. If they aren't drinkin' bud light, they're probably not drinking.

There is so much wrong with this..Please tell me this is a fake because otherwise we are in danger of the universe imploding from all that is wrong here.

Just one more reason to be glad that I quit drinking. Never did like Buttwiper though.

I didn't know people still drank that crap beer.

That's what I want to know. If this is the beer on tap:

Duvel
Blue Moon
Red Stripe
Guiness
Dos Equis Amber
Chimay
Budweiser

How can anyone look at that and pick Bud?

Eh, if you are drinking Budweiser you have bigger problems than this cup could ever cause.

Sounds like the midwest. If they aren't drinkin' bud light, they're probably not drinking.

I'm from Wisconsin. We drink primarily to get drunk - more so than you can even comprehend. That being said, I lived in Minnesota for about 7 years and acquired a taste for good beer. Still, if I want to throw one down, bud light is the beer of choice.

I don't even drink and I wouldn't ever consider Budweiser a possibility. Oregon microbrew all the way.

"The Buddy Cup Athletic Supporter", become Facebook friends by crossing swords with strangers!

"Borrow" your friends cup.

Wander into a gay bar with it.

Put cup back.

Enjoy result.

I dont drink Bud... its horrible.

Becks Dark for me at the moment.

I doubt it's real. See the "circuit board" in the video? Right.

Interesting concept, but not for beer cups. Business cards would be better.

But they would have to be able to communicate with cellphones of different brands to achieve starting momentum.

Once you hit at least 10% card holders, everyone will have one. It will be the next "big" gadget.

Concept Device:

Size of Credit card, except 2mm thick (0.078")
8gb RAM.
One end has .75mm female slot. Other end has 3 gold exposed pads and is tapered to .50mm.
Has fingerprint pad on face.
Membrane microphone.

It can confirm your identity, hence also doubles as a credit card.

Audio recording while active with timestamp.

"so you have a '68 Chevelle for sale?"

"This is a business lunch with Joe and Mark from Quantum."

When cards connect with fingerprint active, contact information is transferred, but not by radio. Ditto for money transactions.

The more cups the more freinds, and you won't remember how any of them ended up on your freinds list because you drank way too much!

If you look at the board in the video at the bottom of the cup it's just a generic Arduino lilypad like the one linked below. Not only is this complete overkill for a imbedded solution but also far too costly to be just giving away to drunkards for some silly facebook promotion. I call shenanigans.

Lilypad

That's what I want to know. If this is the beer on tap:

Duvel
Blue Moon
Red Stripe
Guiness
Dos Equis Amber
Chimay
Budweiser

How can anyone look at that and pick Bud?

Don't know Duvel. Blue moon, red stripe, dos equis is o.k. Guinness isn't beer, it's stout; completely different animal. Never seen Chimay. But I don't consider any of the others better than Bud. To each his own. Most stores have lots of beers available. People still drink bud. It may not be great, but it's good beer. Snobs just like to pick and complain about other people's choices.

I wouldn't put it past them at all. An RFID chip that can be excited by a tiny battery and communicate over bluetooth once would be all that was necessary, but this does look far fetched. However, did you see the earlier link where someone stated that each like was worth far more than I care to think about to a company?

HardOCP front page news: Facebook Like worth $174.17?

You guys should go watch "Beer Wars" on Netflix to see how scary A-B InBev and the others are. If you do your research, you will find that they or SABMiller own most of the beers you are referring to. Here's some recent activity:

210 breweries gobbled up by two giants!

Red Stripe? Owned by Guiness.
Blue Moon? SABMiller-Coors.
Duvel is so delightful and they own one of my favorites in American Craft Beer: Brewery Ommegang. Maredsous is another wicked beer they make. You guys talk about drinking to get drunk: two of these leave most unable to function properly and do so while tasting remarkably better than that piss water ABI makes..... Same cost, better results.
Dos Equis is german now: Heineken bought a large interest in them. However, I will drink a Dos when I won't lick a Heinie ever again...... ;)

Overall, once you adjust to the dark side, it becomes a part of you. I was a swill drinker myself for many college years, then I moved to my new hometown. There is SO MUCH good craft beer here, I can't move away, so I put roots down.

You want to see stout, try 3 Floyds Dark Lord, Bell's Expedition Stout, Founder's KBS, or Arcadia's Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout..... I am sick right now and I am still drooling on my keyboard......... :D

OH, one more thing: If you EVER go to Mexico and you like drinking beer (say for a honeymoon?), do NOT stay any place that serves Mexican Corona ONLY! NOT THE SAME as what we get here. I was drinking the shitty Mexican Negra Modelo cans because it was my honeymoon and I was damn well getting my free drink on! (I have a bad history with liquor.....) I advised my buddy to go to a place with Dos Equis on tap because a bartender told me that was the same no matter where you went; he said it was much better than the hotel Corona and didn't get Montezuma's revenge from it.... Hooray for hindsight!

Back