Technology Gone Wrong: Stolen Vehicle Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did you know that almost half of all vehicle thefts in London involve the use of electronic key spoofing technology? Just great, technology is making it easier to steal your car. :(

Thieves use a device which bypasses the vehicle's electronic information as the owner locks it, or they break into the vehicle and connect a device to the OBD port, downloading the vehicle's information onto a blank key in a matter of seconds. The new key is then compatible with the vehicle, so it disables the alarm and the vehicle can simply be driven away.

This is what happens when a company doesn't include security protocols as part of their products. Everyone just wants everything to be connected but they have no clue what the ramifications are.

Meanwhile if you loose one of your keys, the dealer will charge you big $$$ for a replacement.

So many things we don't need high technology for. This is one of them.

Complexity for complexity sake. And in the end, they just made it easier to steal a pristine vehicle.

According to this, if they do it right, you don't even have a jimmy mark left on the window/door like the good old days. Or a hotwire job to fix... or a broken window to replace.

The whole dang car can be shipped off to somewhere else (including another country) and resold in perfect condition.

Meanwhile if you loose one of your keys, the dealer will charge you big $$$ for a replacement.

Yeah I was thinking, why does a replacement key fob cost anywhere from $200-500? Oh yeah fuck you that's why we want your money, and there's nothing you can do about it since you need this for your car to run!

This is what happens when a company doesn't include security protocols as part of their products. Everyone just wants everything to be connected but they have no clue what the ramifications are.

Kind of reminds me of the pacemakers with Bluetooth connectivity, and zero encryption.
Smart! :p

I'm surprised this wasn't a huge issue even 15 years ago. It boggles my mind that anyone ever thought these things would be secure.

I am glad I drive an 85 Jeep Cherokee :) No computer to use to break into it, and ..well it looks so bad noone would want to steal it anyhow lol.

Yeah I was thinking, why does a replacement key fob cost anywhere from $200-500? Oh yeah fuck you that's why we want your money, and there's nothing you can do about it since you need this for your car to run!

I call it the "stupid tax." Otherwise known as the "irresponsible fee." :)

Yep, there is a massive markup on aftermarket parts. Also parts are intentionally made incompatible so they can charge more for different models.

Back