• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Technet vs OEM vs Retail

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
2FA
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
14,572
I was considering buying a Technet subscription for a while (even though personal home users are not the target market for that service) because I am constantly tweaking/upgrading/re-installing the 4+ PCs I have in my house, and I thought it would be very helpful to have access to the various software licenses Technet provides. However, from what I can tell, Windows Home Server is not available via Technet, nor are the 64 bit versions of the Vista OS.
Plus, I already have access to Vista Business 32bit, as well as Office Enterprise, as well as an OEM copy of WHS. So maybe, I only need to buy a copy of Home Premium or Ultimate for my HTPC and (possibly) a 64 bit copy of Ultimate for my main PC. Home Premium OEM can be found for $49 and Ultimate OEM is $149. Technet is $300 a year.
However, I've heard only the Retail versions come with the 64-bit option, and those are more expensive.
Arg. It's hard to decide what to do.
 
I was considering buying a Technet subscription for a while (even though personal home users are not the target market for that service) because I am constantly tweaking/upgrading/re-installing the 4+ PCs I have in my house, and I thought it would be very helpful to have access to the various software licenses Technet provides. However, from what I can tell, Windows Home Server is not available via Technet, nor are the 64 bit versions of the Vista OS.
Plus, I already have access to Vista Business 32bit, as well as Office Enterprise, as well as an OEM copy of WHS. So maybe, I only need to buy a copy of Home Premium or Ultimate for my HTPC and (possibly) a 64 bit copy of Ultimate for my main PC. Home Premium OEM can be found for $49 and Ultimate OEM is $149. Technet is $300 a year.
However, I've heard only the Retail versions come with the 64-bit option, and those are more expensive.
Arg. It's hard to decide what to do.

Retail allows you to get the 64-bit discs (or vice versa) for $10 from Microsoft, whereas if you buy an OEM Vista, you have to pick either x86 or x64 at the time of purchase (though I guess even the OEM keys are also architecture agnostic).

There's also the more expensive MSDN, the cheapest of which gets you access to almost all the relevant Microsoft OSes. No WHS, but last time I checked, you can get all 64-bit versions of the OSes in the list. Though of course, the purpose of MSDN is for developing/testing applications on them.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa718657.aspx
 
I was considering buying a Technet subscription for a while (even though personal home users are not the target market for that service) because I am constantly tweaking/upgrading/re-installing the 4+ PCs I have in my house, and I thought it would be very helpful to have access to the various software licenses Technet provides. However, from what I can tell, Windows Home Server is not available via Technet, nor are the 64 bit versions of the Vista OS.
Plus, I already have access to Vista Business 32bit, as well as Office Enterprise, as well as an OEM copy of WHS. So maybe, I only need to buy a copy of Home Premium or Ultimate for my HTPC and (possibly) a 64 bit copy of Ultimate for my main PC. Home Premium OEM can be found for $49 and Ultimate OEM is $149. Technet is $300 a year.
However, I've heard only the Retail versions come with the 64-bit option, and those are more expensive.
Arg. It's hard to decide what to do.

newegg shows home premium system builder for $110, i'd be very suspicious of somebody selling it for less than half that price.
 
Coupon code TMSAM08 will get you $100 off a TechNet subscription until May if you are in the US. No home server, but yes to 64 bit Vista, plus all versions of 2008 server, 2003 server, and XP. Plus Office 2003 and 2007. Plus, we already have SP1.
 
Coupon code TMSAM08 will get you $100 off a TechNet subscription until May if you are in the US. No home server, but yes to 64 bit Vista, plus all versions of 2008 server, 2003 server, and XP. Plus Office 2003 and 2007. Plus, we already have SP1.
I would have loved to see Home Server in my TechNet listing...would have save me $180.
 
I have Technet plus download sub. 64 Bit Ultimate is available and I've been running it since RTM.

/edit and who gives a flying shit about Home Server, you get full use of Server 2008 RC1 until the release to manufacturer.
 
The full Server 2008 version has been on there close to two weeks now. It showed up much sooner than Vista SP1 did.
 
Server 2003 and 2008 are both options on TechNet. And with all the articles I have seen today about data corruption on Home Server, I would go with 2003/2008, depending on preference.
 
You'll be happily surprised next time you do visit the site, to find out Microsoft is starting to make available Vista discs with SP1 included. The x86 versions are there now, and x64 versions are on the way.
 
newegg shows home premium system builder for $110, i'd be very suspicious of somebody selling it for less than half that price.
woops. i was thinking of home basic on sale at microcenter for $50. you're right, home premium is about $100
And thanks for the coupon code, that $100 might have pushed me off the fence and into Technet.
That's for a 1 year sub right, how much will it cost next year?

/edit and who gives a flying shit about Home Server, you get full use of Server 2008 RC1 until the release to manufacturer.
I do. WHS is good for people like me with zero experience with a server os who needs the backup etc capabilities.
 
Can anyone clarify what the "download sub" is? I'm assuming you would be downloading ISOs of the OS anyway, so what exactly is this?
 
Can anyone clarify what the "download sub" is? I'm assuming you would be downloading ISOs of the OS anyway, so what exactly is this?

If I understand what you are asking, you mean the download only subscription for TechNet? That means they give you online only access to the TechNet site, where you download ISOs of everything. With the other subscriptions, you receive disks in the mail as well.
 
on msdn, if I subscribe to the cheapest option which is the OS one, are they time limited ? or are they just like retail versions that once you download and install you get a key and it works for years ? or if your subscription to msdn runs out does the OS stop functioning ?

anyone got any ideas, as i think 700$ is a scoop for all the different versions if they arent limited in anyway.
 
Nope they are all retail keys. Nothing stops if you don't renew. Except your ability to download new stuff. Just download everything you want while it's active, and export your keys.
 
cool, i like the way $700 converts into £560, meh, but I have a plan :) say am in the usa when I buy it or get a buddy from the states to go through the buying process for me thus saving a couple hundred quid :)
 
No it's not.

I let technet expire & I was sent a letter to uninstall all software & destroy all media.

I did. Run Linux & FreeBSD now.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1803
Post #21
"Ed Bott says:
Fred, there’s a Product Key page where you get to request keys for individual products. Each key is good for 10 separate activations on different hardware, and the license is perpetual, meaning it doesn’t expire if your subscription runs out. The reason to renew your subscription is to get access to new releases, not to maintain access to old ones."

I hope this is not misinformation, but it is not the only place I have seen this claim.
 
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1803
Post #21
"Ed Bott says:
Fred, there’s a Product Key page where you get to request keys for individual products. Each key is good for 10 separate activations on different hardware, and the license is perpetual, meaning it doesn’t expire if your subscription runs out. The reason to renew your subscription is to get access to new releases, not to maintain access to old ones."

I hope this is not misinformation, but it is not the only place I have seen this claim.

Unless the MSDN sub has changed then it's only valid for while you are paying each year.
If you let it lapse then you no longer have a valid license for any of the installed products. And if you try to run longer or install on a new system then the Genuine Advantage Activation will bomb out on you.
And unless Ed Bott is directly connected to Microsoft - I'd make a phone call and get verification.
 
Unless the MSDN sub has changed then it's only valid for while you are paying each year.
If you let it lapse then you no longer have a valid license for any of the installed products. And if you try to run longer or install on a new system then the Genuine Advantage Activation will bomb out on you.
And unless Ed Bott is directly connected to Microsoft - I'd make a phone call and get verification.

MSDN and Technet are different, but I still agree with your point. I would get direct confirmation from Microsoft.

I will not be letting mine run out because I enjoy getting the new software all the time. I think tinkering with the software is fun as a hobby. I quit being a network admin, but that doesn't mean I don't like servers and routers. :)

I would only get TechNet if you want the servers (SQL, Exchange, and Server 2003/2008.) Otherwise, you should just get OEM x64.
 
Back
Top