Teamgroup 4tb nvme 169

That's not what I consider a "hot" deal, except for folks that still have a gen 3 rig, seeins how almost all the Gen 4 drives are dropping like rocks atm, and the 4TB models will be approaching the $200 mark soon...:D

And getting tech stuff from fleecebay or ChinzEgg is an auto no-buy IMHO, regardless of price :)

That's not what I consider a "hot" deal, except for folks that still have a gen 3 rig, seeins how almost all the Gen 4 drives are dropping like rocks atm, and the 4TB models will be approaching the $200 mark soon...:D

And getting tech stuff from fleecebay or ChinzEgg is an auto no-buy IMHO, regardless of price :)
Except that the vast majority of the Gen4 drives that will hit that $200 price point won't be any faster than this drive is on Gen3, ergo not worth the extra few bucks just to run hotter.

Except that the vast majority of the Gen4 drives that will hit that $200 price point won't be any faster than this drive is on Gen3, ergo not worth the extra few bucks just to run hotter.
Plus, the real world benefit of a gen4 drive over a gen3 one is virtually nothing unless all you do is copy large files back and forth all day.

Plus, the real world benefit of a gen4 drive over a gen3 one is virtually nothing unless all you do is copy large files back and forth all day.
This. Now sure, if it's like a $20 diff between a top shelf gen3 and gen4 okay. But it isn't. The sn850 and whatnot that everyone gushes about are significantly more expensive. Would rather have a great gen3 for less than an okay gen4.

The sn850 and whatnot that everyone gushes about are significantly more expensive. Would rather have a great gen3 for less than an okay gen4.
Ummm... fyi, I recently got a bunch of 2TB 850x's for $121-140 each, which are NOT just "ok" but are top tier drives, and the 4TB version should hit around $200-225 soon as prices continue to drop..

You can check the decreasing price deltas between the just released Gen 3 SN570/SN770 & the 850x if you need more convincing :D

And on a gen 4 rig, I can tell you that the difference IS very noticeable in every respect, from boot time to app loading to file transfers to complex modeling etc.. I can't speak to differences while gammen, since I do don't that on my machines, but AFAIK, moar speed is always welcomed by most people who do.

Ummm... fyi, I recently got a bunch of 2TB 850x's for $121-140 each, which are NOT just "ok" but are top tier drives, and the 4TB version should hit around $200-225 soon as prices continue to drop..
Lol, when did I say the 850 is just okay? The 4tbs are still quite a bit off from top shelf gen3s

You don't game, cool. Most people here do. Stop getting defensive.

Still only $160. Really thinking of grabbing another one.

Same price for the Team drive at Newegg (I know...). But for $10 (AR) more, the MSI M461 is available:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-4tb-m461/p/N82E16820140041?Item=N82E16820140041

It's a bit faster. I haven't looked into how the MSI drives are reliability-wise, but they're not a no-name....

-bZj
That MSI M461 has a 900TBW rating, the TeamGroup MP34 has a 2400TBW rating. I would much rather take the drive that is more than 2.5x more endurance over the small bump in speed (a moot point if you're putting this in a PCIe gen 3 slot, they'll be limited to 3500 MB/s anyway). Unless you have a specific workload that can see a benefit, most users would be hardpressed to tell a difference in real world usage between 3500 MB/s and 5000 MB/s. Then again you can argue who is going to write over 900TB to the drive over the life of it, probably not many people so it doesn't necessarily invalidate buying the MSI.

Brand is largely irrelevant when looking at NVMEs. They're pretty much all using NAND flash (Toshiba/Kioxia, SK Hynix, etc...) and controllers (Phison, Silicon Motion, etc...) from other vendors, so whoever slaps their brand on the total package doesn't mean much.

Brand is largely irrelevant when looking at NVMEs. They're pretty much all using NAND flash (Toshiba/Kioxia, SK Hynix, etc...) and controllers (Phison, Silicon Motion, etc...) from other vendors, so whoever slaps their brand on the total package doesn't mean much.
I beg to differ on this point....

Yes, all the better ones use NAND only from the major mfgr's, but the drive brand DOES matter, since some of them, like WD, make their own controllers, over which they have full control in the design, firmware and optimizations, and most importantly, QA/QC...

The off-brands use whatever bottom of the barrel crap parts they can get at the lowest price at any particular moment, and just slap them together to be labeled with whatever logo they are under contract for...and therefore, you can never really be 100% sure of what parts you are paying for...

This situation has been confirmed time & time again, by many, many people who have tested & confirmed the performance changes from batch to batch....

Yes, all the better ones use NAND only from the major mfgr's, but the drive brand DOES matter, since some of them, like WD, make their own controllers, over which they have full control in the design, firmware and optimizations, and most importantly, QA/QC...

The off-brands use whatever bottom of the barrel crap parts they can get at the lowest price at any particular moment, and just slap them together to be labeled with whatever logo they are under contract for...and therefore, you can never really be 100% sure of what parts you are paying for...

This situation has been confirmed time & time again, by many, many people who have tested & confirmed the performance changes from batch to batch....
I would ensure that we all understand, because some will not, that just because a drive isn't Samsung, or Western Digital, doesn't mean it's a junk. I have a Pioneer, like the old headunits of the 90s, 2TB NVME that is a Phison E12 unit with DRAM cache. It's essentially Phison's reference design. Sabrent used the same components on the original Rocket PCI-E 3 version. Sabrent used customized firmware I'm certain, and I'm certain Pioneer just slapped their label on the reference design. However I've had this drive for two years now and it's in the top there in performance with all the Gen3 big dogs.

I argue say if you can't confirm the components via one of the publiclly available SSD databases and/or the manufacture won't tell you, then it's a crap drive. Name brand or not. If they were proud of the components, they wouldn't hide them.

Those are valid points, and I'll even back you up with an attached image of the ADATA SX8200 Pro as an example. Maybe I'm in the minority here but as long as the drive works close to it's rated speed and they don't misadvertise the TBW it doesn't bother me.

I would have no qualms buying the TeamGroup MP34 for this price even if the componentry varied from the initial launch.

Attachments

• 1691503054831.png
    1691503054831.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 0
That MSI M461 has a 900TBW rating, the TeamGroup MP34 has a 2400TBW rating. I would much rather take the drive that is more than 2.5x more endurance over the small bump in speed (a moot point if you're putting this in a PCIe gen 3 slot, they'll be limited to 3500 MB/s anyway). Unless you have a specific workload that can see a benefit, most users would be hardpressed to tell a difference in real world usage between 3500 MB/s and 5000 MB/s. Then again you can argue who is going to write over 900TB to the drive over the life of it, probably not many people so it doesn't necessarily invalidate buying the MSI.
And that last bit is exactly what I would argue. Because that 900TBW is simply a warranty claim, nothing more, now granted they often have some real world relationship as manufacturers really don't want to be paying out warranty claims on products that fail but the other important bit is the actual warranty in years which in the case for the MSI is 5 years which (depending upon your use case, as you may be an outlier) is likely to occur WELL before you hit that 900TB mark, you would have to write approximately 1TB every 2 days to the drive in order to get to that limit within that 5 year plan.

But lets ignore the warranty in general you want your shit to work as long as possible which I totally get, most beefy game installs these days are somewhere between 100 and 150GBs (there are a few that go a bit past but lets ignore those for now) so lets take 150GB game installs, you would have to install one of those games every day for over 16 years to get to that 900TB mark. Now I don't know about you but the only storage devices that I have in my house that are any where close to 16 years old are in a cardboard box labeled "junk/ewaste". And sure maybe games will get larger, MUCH larger, which absolutely could happen but as they get larger your drive starts to look smaller and smaller when less things can be installed, and you'll probably want to upgrade (i.e. change drives) your storage device as technology advances.

Bottom line is yeah 2400 TBW is 2.5x more endurance but is it realistic endurance that makes any difference? Much like drive speed of NVME drives, bigger numbers doesn't mean you'll experience that much better performance. Maybe your use case is copying files back and forth between drives, someone else may play games and won't notice a lick of difference. My 1TB - Samsung 970 evo plus (I believe is a pcie gen3 drive) has 2TB written to it after about a year and a half, it's endurance is "only" 600 TBW, I'm not particularly worried about it's longevity in the grand scheme of things, and the great thing about SSDs is when they hit those limits they only stop writing you can still read from them to get whatever data you want and throw it on a PCIe gen12 quantum drive because you're still hanging onto a drive thats 15 years old :D

Now if all that extra endurance is important to you AND for whatever reason you believe you can practically take advantage of it, then you be you, but others should also be "warned" about how absolutely gigantic amount of space 900TB actually is and not be dazzled by "bigger number means much better"

Still the cheapest 4TB dram/tlc drive available. Just gen3 but hanging in there as the budget king. Phison e12 based controller. One of the best gen3 controllers when it came out. I have a Pioneer branded 2TB version.

I got one of these recently to consolidate my gaming drives into one big SSD and I have not been disappointed. Seems it's even lower now at $158.99 USD. It's tempting to buy even more at such at price and toss them in all of my PCs and laptops just for the hell of it.

I argue say if you can't confirm the components via one of the publiclly available SSD databases and/or the manufacture won't tell you, then it's a crap drive. Name brand or not. If they were proud of the components, they wouldn't hide them.
BINGO,somebody give this person a gold star !
just because a drive isn't Samsung, or Western Digital, doesn't mean it's a junk.
I never said that, I simply meant that the better brands either design & build their own parts, or source them from reliable suppliers that are well known for and capable of consistently providing top quality components for extended periods of time without any major QA/QC issues....

Also, ADATA & TeamGroup, among others, have been on my shitlist/NO-Buy lists for a while now, ever since they pulled their bait & switch antics a while back...and it was confirmed my many testers as to why they did it....specifically to announce products and saying the contained certain high-quality parts, to sucker people into buying them, then switched to the cheaper, lower quality parts in the shipping products, soley to lower their BOM costs & jack up their profit margins.....a MASSIVE dick move for any company IMO...

Last edited:
Firmware issues are usually a result of programming errors (or lazy coders), and can be/were fixed with a flashed update...

Hardware components, OTOH, can not :D

Likely still faster than the consumer 4TB QLC drives under sustained write and some other workloads.
If someone needed sustained write they wouldn't be looking at such a cheap nvme.

It's for games and the like.

Also more importantly that's a 2.5" drive. No thanks, I've banished SATA cables from my PC.

Well, for $50 more you can buy the MP44 drive, which has over 7000MB/s read and over 6000MB/s write.
That puts a 4TB drive just over $200. I think if you want to maximize cost, then the $150 drive is fine. If you actually want/need performance, than the $50 or whatever it is is reasonable to move up to a much faster PCI-E Gen4 drive.

Last edited:
That puts a 4TB drive just over $200. I think if you want maximum cost, then the $150 drive is fine. If you actually want/need performance, than the $50 or whatever it is is reasonable to move up.
Kind of goes without saying.

People who need gen 4 performance know what they're shopping for.

Kind of goes without saying.

People who need gen 4 performance know what they're shopping for.
Well, apparently it does need saying, because even other people you’ve responded to in this thread are complaining about price vs performance. So, figured I’d point out that even on that exact buy link, there are options for faster drives that I would say are still very much reasonably costed.

Unfortunately ”the obvious” isn’t that obvious to a lot of buyers. I’m in PC forums, and a lot of camera forums and the maxim of “you get what you pay for” is apparently not a thought in anyone’s minds. “Why can’t I get the features of this $60,000 camera in a $4000 one?” I guess the other option is just simply to ignore people… but I’ve tried to spend the time to at least explain the options available and be useful instead of flaming the ignorant.

$158.99 for me today (I have prime if it matters) think I'll pick this up. In my case, speed doesn't matter. Just picked up 4 of these USB cases ($15.19) as well https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G14NBCS
I'm just going to use these for movie & tv plex storage when I travel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Link seems wrong.
Really? Works for me, no idea then. Works in camelcamelcamel too https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08G14NBCS

O RICO M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NVMe PCI-E M.2 SSD Case Support UASP for NVMe SSD Size 2230/2242/2260/2280(up to 4TB)-M2PV​

Update, SSD & cases arrived:

I don't like that the case is plastic with the board just sitting in it, held in by friction.
Only the top is metal, and the SSD is secured by a rubber plug. Ya get what you pay for... tho, it works & more than fast enough for me.
Tho who knows once it's near capacity.
1.PNG
2.PNG

Last edited:
Back