• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Team Fortress 2 Update - Multicore Rendering

Crashes here as well.

errormxg.jpg
 
With the new option enabled it seems just a tad more choppy and I crash about 10-15 minutes in which is how it was before the patch when I used MQM 2 (or which ever one was the multicore option). I'm running the stuff in my sig. When playing L4D it doesn't crash and I've got multicore rendering enabled and I've played that game 2-3 hours straight at one point. I think they've got some tweaking to do on the TF2 side.

I hope they are somehow collecting data because there seems to be a big mixed bag of results out there. I've seen many people with E8400's claim to have it crash while one person says theirs runs fine so I'm wondering how many variables have to be correct for the success of the multicore rendering. Would OS, CPU, sound and video cards/drivers, or even motherboard effect it? Since L4D works just fine I'm assuming it's a coding issue.
 
Tried it out last night on a 32 person Toy Fort Elite map. After enabling, the picture did seem more crisp and the movement was soo much smoother. However, after about 5-10 minutes the gameplay began showing some choppiness. I kept it on for probably another 10 minutes but went ahead and turned it off because I couldn't take the choppy gameplay anymore. Setting turned off and she runs just fine now. Oh well, we'll see if they'll fix that with the feedback.
 
No crashes on Vista 64 with Q6600 @ 3.0ghz

Running perfect v-sync 60fps @ 2560x1600 @ 8xAA and 16xAF... before I'd get dips below 60 which sucked..

run1.jpg


Turned on

run2.jpg


Turned off

I basically played on a server for a bit then quit and quickly take a SS of taskmanager :)

You can see the last 3 cores are getting used a lot more with it on, vs. off they're pretty idle...

Also note, I had photoshop open for when I turned it off, so that could be what caused ram usage to go up a tiny bit...
 
No crashes on Vista 64 with Q6600 @ 3.0ghz

Running perfect v-sync 60fps @ 2560x1600 @ 8xAA and 16xAF... before I'd get dips below 60 which sucked..



You can see the last 3 cores are getting used a lot more with it on, vs. off they're pretty idle...


awesome!
 
The game constantly crashes now. Crashed on map Well 3 times in a row. The game is now totally unplayable for me. I haven't enabled multi core either

Valve what the hell have you done?!!
 
I had weird lag/glitching with it turned on (C2D). At first I was getting higher FPS, then I had a major glitch and my FPS didn't go over 15. Looks like it still needs work, but Valve already knows that.
 
Just a tip, I was playing today and told to turn r_waterdrawrefraction to 0 and it would stop the crashing. While it works, the water looks like crap and is opaque =o. Anyway, hope it helps some of you.
 
think quad core get more frames than dual core?

probably not by much if any. as long as you are >1 core it should be more than enough. the game was made to work on single cores, this is just the very beginning of rethreading the app. if they can get it stable, and offload more processes, then >2 might start to make more of a difference. from blaze's shots it looks like majority of processing is still on the main thread, just more rendering has been offloaded.

this patch is probably just improving performance for people that were able to run mat_queue_mode before. I was always crashing within 10 minutes on that anyway, so I'm not gonna bother with this update. I don't know what kind of magic hardware combinations run right with it, we got to figure this out somehow cause the people over at the steam forums have not got anywhere with this either. just works for some people and not for others, and we have no idea what the differences are.
 
Crashing here after a few minutes of play. Main rig in sig. Played great before so I see no reason to even turn it on.
 
Erm is there anyway to roll the update back?

The game was working flawlessly before this update - around 30 hours play without a single crash and now I can't even play 5 minutes. If I'd have known I would have selected 'Do not automatically update this game' from the menu.
 
I've been keeping up with the forums, apparently a temporary fix is:

r_waterdrawrefraction 0


Haven't tested it yet, if you get the chance tell me how it goes.
 
Any programmers here want to explain to us how difficult it is to write software that takes advantage of multiple cores?
 
It does boost FPS significantly. I went from 100 or so to 160. But they need to fix the crash issue, because I can't stand not being able to see through water.
 
March 19, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Game changes

Fixed decal related crash
Removed upper limit for the "tf_flag_caps_per_round" convar

Server changes

Fixed players being kicked from servers with an INVALID_STEAM_TICKET rejection
Added a message to the server console to show when the server has reconnected to Steam

I think the decal related crash is the problem everyone was having, as people that didnt enable multicore were crashing. Hopefully this fixes it. I didnt even get to try multicore last night, it was crashing for me as well. Check it out.
 
Is this multi GPU support, or mulit CPU core support?
It's the exact same thing. Your OS views cpu cores whether 2 on 2 chips or 4 in one, as 4 logical cores. If you have 2 cpu's that are single core, they will not perform as well as an identical set of cores on 1 chip though.

Dual core is better than dual single cores, of same speed
Quad core is better than 2 dual cores, etc. of same speed
 
It's the exact same thing. Your OS views cpu cores whether 2 on 2 chips or 4 in one, as 4 logical cores. If you have 2 cpu's that are single core, they will not perform as well as an identical set of cores on 1 chip though.

Dual core is better than dual single cores, of same speed
Quad core is better than 2 dual cores, etc. of same speed
That wasn't what he was talking about at all. :rolleyes:
 
It's the exact same thing. Your OS views cpu cores whether 2 on 2 chips or 4 in one, as 4 logical cores. If you have 2 cpu's that are single core, they will not perform as well as an identical set of cores on 1 chip though.

Dual core is better than dual single cores, of same speed
Quad core is better than 2 dual cores, etc. of same speed

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................................................

yeah........................

what haffey said.
 
It might be CPU overheat I am noticing the game now utilizes 100% of my CPU all the time, which is something most games don't do.

on my Q9650 @ 4.1, i am doing about %50-%70 with hl2.exe assigned to 3 cores.

Alot of people though i play with who have dual cores Are saying one core is often pegged %100 while the other is around %70-%80 ish, So all those peope who bought dual's over quads....... ;) ;) should of gone for quads!
 
I played tonight for an hour or so without hitch. FPS rarely dropped below 90.
 
It makes sense that it was a problem with water decals as both Well and 2Fort seemed to crash and Fastlane did not.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, I'll test tonight
 
They put out a new update which apparently fixes the crash problem.
 
They put out a new update which apparently fixes the crash problem.

Yeah, came out yesterday. The Steam forums seem to think it has resolved the crashing issues but the multicore option is causing stuttering still
 
Yeah, came out yesterday. The Steam forums seem to think it has resolved the crashing issues but the multicore option is causing stuttering still

Yeah, I've noticed some stuttering. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.
 
on my Q9650 @ 4.1, i am doing about %50-%70 with hl2.exe assigned to 3 cores.

Alot of people though i play with who have dual cores Are saying one core is often pegged %100 while the other is around %70-%80 ish, So all those peope who bought dual's over quads....... ;) ;) should of gone for quads!

Not necessarily. Dollar for dollar there is still the Mhz debate (Classic E8400 vs Q6600).


Anyway I also found the latest update to fix my crashing issues. I played last night and it was fine. The night before I crashed 3-4 times and gave up.
 
Anyway I also found the latest update to fix my crashing issues. I played last night and it was fine. The night before I crashed 3-4 times and gave up.

Thanks, that's good to know. Yeah, last night was ridiculous. I couldn't get a game going without it bombing back to the desktop and then couldn't get back into the server as it was full.
 
Update fixed my crashing issue. Just finished a one hour session with no problems.
 
New update, hopefully it'll sort my crashes.

Updates to Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source have been released.

Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source

Fixed screenshots being black when Multicore Rendering is enabled.
Fixed sprays not showing up on some surfaces.
Fixed decal crash during changelevel.
Fixed crash caused by setting the decal limit too high on some machines.
Fixed crash caused by decals in the world render loop.
Fixed crash caused by convars changing while rendering is queued.
 
Says nothing about fixing stuttering.

True, the stuttering gets worse for me after about 15 minutes of play. I thought it was lag at first but it seems to be an engine issue since the multicore option was put in.
 
Back
Top