TCL shows off 27" 8K 3D LED, 31" dome-shaped 3D OLED, and more at DTC 2023

Armenius

Extremely [H]
TCL shows off some interesting new displays at the Chinese trade show.

https://videocardz.com/newz/tcl-teases-dome-shaped-4k-120hz-oled-panel-for-pc-monitors
https://www.ithome.com/0/738/218.htm

1702399399640.png

27" 8K 3D LED monitor with "glassless" 3D capability. That is a PPI density of 326.

1702399343723.png

Dome-shaped display made for optimal 3D viewing.

1702399570390.png

57" 7680x2160 ultrawide monitor with more than 11,000 mini-LED dimming zones and 1000R curvature.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Too bad they didn't make that dome shaped model larger. That could be cool in something closer to 42-50".

It'll be interesting to see if TCL's version of the 57" Samsung ever ends up in the west, what it will cost and if it will perform better or worse. The stand looks worse than what initial pics of it looked like.

I thought 3D pretty much fizzled out.
The 3D in this case should be in quotation marks. Because its "3D" in the sense that the curve is not just horizontal, it's vertical as well. So its immersion is more "3D" than before.

Had a bad experience with TCL… if their backlight LED’s fail your SOL… shame because I like their TV’s and customer service… we were a few days past the warranty period..had to junk the TV as replacing the backlight LEDs are a real PITA…

I really need to try it. My plasma TV came with 3D glasses and a 3D blu ray of Avatar. Pretty sure my blu ray player doesn't support 3D though. :D Oh well. May as well see what all the fuss was about.
I had a TV that used the shutter glasses. It was pretty awesome, not going to lie, but I didn't like that you pretty much had to be perfectly centered to the screen for it to look good. If "glassless" 3D was ever available at an affordable price point at the height of the 3D craze I probably would have bought a TV that had it. I remember walking by on at CompUSA not even paying attention and a sideways glance at it immediately caught my attention. It even continued to work well from off-center angles.

I had a TV that used the shutter glasses. It was pretty awesome, not going to lie, but I didn't like that you pretty much had to be perfectly centered to the screen for it to look good. If "glassless" 3D was ever available at an affordable price point at the height of the 3D craze I probably would have bought a TV that had it. I remember walking by on at CompUSA not even paying attention and a sideways glance at it immediately caught my attention. It even continued to work well from off-center angles.
For me even in movie theaters 3D is something like this: "woah, looks cool for the first 5 minutes...ok now my brain just got used to it...ugh, now these glasses are pressing on my nose and the image is so damn dark." If a movie is showing in 2D, I'd rather just watch that version instead.

For me even in movie theaters 3D is something like this: "woah, looks cool for the first 5 minutes...ok now my brain just got used to it...ugh, now these glasses are pressing on my nose and the image is so damn dark." If a movie is showing in 2D, I'd rather just watch that version instead.
The glasses they hand out at the theater are universally uncomfortable, especially the IMAX ones. The glasses I had for my TV were quite comfortable, though.

The glasses they hand out at the theater are universally uncomfortable, especially the IMAX ones. The glasses I had for my TV were quite comfortable, though.
Yeah understandably they need to be cheap so people won't steal them or if they break they don't cost much to replace.

I thought 3D pretty much fizzled out.

VR/ MR headsets are all true 3d, where each eye sees a different screen where everything is at a slightly different angle so it becomes essentially "holographic". VR games and worlds/experiences are 3D.

VR is extremely cool looking. It's like looking at a hologram. It's really amazingly different. To me the problem is the PPD is way too low, it was 19 - 24 ppd and I think most mainstream headsets now are still only up to 34 PPD. The heat and bulk of the headset is also annoying. The demand of VR to produce two screens worth of resolution also tends to dumb down the graphics and cause narrower gaming spaces, and especially on stand alone games on what are essentially phone chips. It'll get better, and has been incrementally but it still has a ways to go to get to where it's not low pdd, lower graphics, little or no HDR, shaky tracking, and boxy headsets. . For what it can do right now it's still pretty amazing though. I'm looking forward to true VR headsets being reduced down to at least goggle size if not steampunk-like glasses, real mixed reality with a quality rendering of the real world combined with "holographic" objects and environments (incl. cut away game and movie sets in real space), much higher PPD, frame amplification tech advances, etc.

. . . . . . .

There are cameras/lenses with dual lens that can record in 3d. A little expensive of a kit but not too crazy relative to the camera world, maybe a few grand, and newer models of the lenses are due out that may be a bit cheaper. In the future XR glasses and probably smaller AR/MR glasses/goggles will likely have forward facing cameras on the sides for recording in 3d too. So potentially, when companies like apple (who pushed their small sunglass form factor MR device back to 2027) might popularize a shift from staring at a phone brick in your hand to higher resolution glasses with virtual screens, we might start getting people posting 3d content in youtube, tiktok, etc. and maybe more media will go 3d/3d remasterings in the long run. I'd suspect some MR like in-world "movies" would be released too eventually rather than just virtual screens in the glasses (there already are some small scale things like that, just not major motion picture house stuff).

View: https://youtu.be/ZA4PXfkpfgU?t=834

Last edited:
Back