• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Taser @ CES

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
I’m telling you guys, nothing goes with crowds of strangers better than a bunch of people demonstrating Tasers! The folks from Taser are showing off a new product at CES for home protection. They come in lots of cool colors too. Criminals will appreciate your fashion sense when they realize your shoes match the Taser you just shot them with.

According to the Taser statement, the new device incorporates "SureCheck" background check technology. It will be sold inactive and can only be activated after the purchaser successfully completes a SureCheck background check.
 
Not sure what the interesting aspect of the story is! Is it the different colors? You have to have a background check before you taser can be activated? You can cook fried rice in under a minute?
 
I prefer my home defense to come in the .45 cal size. Black with illuminated night sights. Not sure I would trust in something like a taser no matter how many colors it came in.
 
I prefer my home defense to come in the .45 cal size. Black with illuminated night sights. Not sure I would trust in something like a taser no matter how many colors it came in.

Does your home defense come with a pair of handcufs when you made a mistake or killed an unarmed intruder?
 
Does your home defense come with a pair of handcufs when you made a mistake or killed an unarmed intruder?
You can get sued for abusing a taser as well, last I checked. Admittedly, it's harder to zap the wrong person in your own home...
 
You can get sued (and have the other party win no less) for shotting an armed intruder that is trying to kill you in your sleep. In the great country known as the USA anybody can win a court battle. Just look at OJ.

How long before somebody figures out how to hack one of these to enable them without the security check. Its a nice thought but really how usefull will this be? Is there really that large of attacks in which somebody was robbed, raped,... by somebody using a taser that this is really something that is needed?
 
Taser introduces a new model over the weekend just as two people were killed by their usage.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/technology_gadget_show_new_taser

This device should be banned from police use and sure as hell shouldn't be used by Joe Blow public.

You wouldn't believe how many people die when someone shoots them, or how many people die when someone stabs them, or how many people die when someone hits them with a car, or how many people die when someone beats them with a baseball bat, or how many people die when someone beats someone with their fists.....it is a dangerous world out there.

Having been tasered and pepper sprayed before...the taser was much better.
 
A cop isn't supposed to be stabbing you or beating you to death with a bat, etc, etc... There's a big difference. Police are only supposed to use whatever force is necessary to subdue you, not kill you. The taser is killing people and it's supposed to be a weapon to stop someone, not kill them.
 
Rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.


Never heard that.

Love It

Sounds about right...


Also, what would happen if you had metal in your body and you got shot by a taser ?

Titanium to be exact .

Would it fry you more ?
 
A cop isn't supposed to be stabbing you or beating you to death with a bat, etc, etc... There's a big difference. Police are only supposed to use whatever force is necessary to subdue you, not kill you. The taser is killing people and it's supposed to be a weapon to stop someone, not kill them.

Well you missed all the points of that rather well.

1) Any weapon can/does kill people. It is a weapon. Even non weapons can/do kill people.
2) More people die from other weapons than from tasers.
3) Police are issued clubs, so yes they can beat you and one knock can indeed kill you whether meant or not.
4) If police weren't meant to have the ability to kill someone when neccesary why are they issued lethal force weapons?
 
IMO if you feel you need some sort of weapon to protect yourself or your family, its time to move ... but thats just me.
 
IMO if you feel you need some sort of weapon to protect yourself or your family, its time to move ... but thats just me.

How do you suggest protecting something without a weapon?
 
You seem to have completely missed the point.

Not really. Violent crime happens everywhere....if you think it doesn't well maybe you deserve to be a victim. So I ask again how do you propse to protect something without a weapon?
 
Not really. Violent crime happens everywhere....if you think it doesn't well maybe you deserve to be a victim. So I ask again how do you propse to protect something without a weapon?

Can you possibly be serious ... "deserve to be a victim", WOW ... just WOW.

Grow up
 
It would be nice, perhaps to have a non lethal alternative to shooting an intruder, but there needs to be more education than a simple background check. Someone buying one of these should have to complete a seminar course (say a day long) training them to use it. Don't cops have to be shot by a taser before they can use one in the field? Then the civilian course should include that too.
 
Not really. Violent crime happens everywhere....if you think it doesn't well maybe you deserve to be a victim. So I ask again how do you propse to protect something without a weapon?

Not true, although possible, but not always probable.

We haven't had a violent crime in my city for a couple years now, last year there were no arsons, no burglaries, no murders, and no car thefts.


Now if I moved into detroit city, then I'm faced with the odds of over 300+ murders a year.
 
So you don't have an answer then?

He had an answer, but you came with a comment that is so reprehensible/appalling that you can't really even argue that.

I moved for my own security years ago, after having every family member carry armed concealed weapons and not being able to even take a walk without you risking your life, enough was enough and we moved.... instead of killing people and living everyday in fear that the day might be your last... especially if you miss your shot or the intruders are packing more firepower.
 
Well you missed all the points of that rather well.

1) Any weapon can/does kill people. It is a weapon. Even non weapons can/do kill people.
2) More people die from other weapons than from tasers.
3) Police are issued clubs, so yes they can beat you and one knock can indeed kill you whether meant or not.
4) If police weren't meant to have the ability to kill someone when neccesary why are they issued lethal force weapons?

Well you missed all the points I made rather well...

1) Anything can kill anyone.
2) Tasers aren't as widespread as guns yet. When they are, the numbers will equal out.
3) I'll give you that one. :D
4) I never said police weren't meant to have lethal weapons. They have guns for a reason. The use of a taser is supposed to subdue a perp without killing them and that's not happening. There's other non-lethal ways to bring an unarmed person down besides killing them with a taser or shooting them.
 
Only in the hardforums can the discussion go from Tazers to Guns to Defending yourself in Texas and finally to Police beating people to death with bats.:D
 
Not true, although possible, but not always probable.

We haven't had a violent crime in my city for a couple years now, last year there were no arsons, no burglaries, no murders, and no car thefts.

Ok fine what city?

And history doesn't prevent it from happening in the future....and when it does how do you protect yourself?

He had an answer, but you came with a comment that is so reprehensible/appalling that you can't really even argue that.

Actually he didn't he said
you can't be serious
That doesn't answer the question of how one protects something without a weapon.
 
Well you missed all the points I made rather well...

Not so much.

1) Anything can kill anyone.
That was my point not yours.

2) Tasers aren't as widespread as guns yet. When they are, the numbers will equal out.

Well that will be simple enough. Please provide a source for the death rate among usage of a Taser versus that of a gun.

4) I never said police weren't meant to have lethal weapons. They have guns for a reason. The use of a taser is supposed to subdue a perp without killing them and that's not happening. There's other non-lethal ways to bring an unarmed person down besides killing them with a taser or shooting them.

Point one shows that any "non-lethal" weapon can be lethal. So that doesn't really mean much to say they have other "non-lethal" means as the "non-lethal" means can all be lethal.
 
I've seen several instances where pepper spray or just pure brute force was more than adequate to bring a person down. I know that over 250 people have died so far from the use of tasers. God only knows how many guns are in circulation in the U.S., so even attempting to create a statistic is useless. You can stick to your shoot first and have an inquiry later mentality, but I'm still going to stick to my point that the damn things are killing an inordinate amount of people for a weapon that was designed only to be a temporary means of bringing someone under control.
 
I've seen several instances where pepper spray or just pure brute force was more than adequate to bring a person down.

I have been pepper sprayed and tasered. Quite frankly I'll take the taser again over the pepper spray. Beyond the horribly large difference in degree of suffering inflicted on all recipients of pepper spray versus the few with problems from a taser.....pepper spray is completely unacceptable for use in many situations (indoors, areas with limited ventilation, in groups when one person is the target, etc).

I know that over 250 people have died so far from the use of tasers. God only knows how many guns are in circulation in the U.S., so even attempting to create a statistic is useless. You can stick to your shoot first and have an inquiry later mentality, but I'm still going to stick to my point that the damn things are killing an inordinate amount of people for a weapon that was designed only to be a temporary means of bringing someone under control.

All I want is for you to do is prove your point. Besides the number I asked for has nothing to do with the number of guns so that is a moot point, it was a rate of death in uses. Sticking to a point you can't prove or defend doesn't seem very ...don't want to sound trite but...logical.
 
I've seen several instances where pepper spray or just pure brute force was more than adequate to bring a person down. I know that over 250 people have died so far from the use of tasers. God only knows how many guns are in circulation in the U.S., so even attempting to create a statistic is useless. You can stick to your shoot first and have an inquiry later mentality, but I'm still going to stick to my point that the damn things are killing an inordinate amount of people for a weapon that was designed only to be a temporary means of bringing someone under control.

over 250 eh? This article says 180... http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-06-13-stun-guns_x.htm


Wait till you see how many people mosquitoes kill... 4 million a year

http://www.glacvcd.org/HTML Pages/Mosquito Section of Website.htm


So with your analogy, we can say that guns are just as dangerous as tasers becuase they both kill a lot of people and both of those are as dangerous as mosquietos.
 
Damn, I made a mistake, there were two cars stolen in 2005!!! And 6 burglaries. It was said that we had even less crime this year. Damn, I live in a bad neighborhood, I need to start packing heat.


Bloomfield Hills, MI
How many rapes happened in your town that went un-reported?
 
s_comeback.jpg
 

That would be the option on the right side. (I'd prefer a .45, but that's another topic)

Do you guys put the life of someone trying to attack you over your own? Why are you afraid of shooting someone who wishes to do you or your family harm?

BTW, it's very easy to tell if someone is an intruder in your own home. No normal people enter through windows or break through doors to get into a house that is not their own.
 
How many rapes happened in your town that went un-reported?

Thats a weak question.


Now we are on to rape? Damn, are you thirsty or what?!... you guys seem to be desperatley grabbing at the straws.
 
Do you guys put the life of someone trying to attack you over your own? Why are you afraid of shooting someone who wishes to do you or your family harm?

BTW, it's very easy to tell if someone is an intruder in your own home. No normal people enter through windows or break through doors to get into a house that is not their own.

Statistically it's proven that burglars do not intend to rob homes which has occupants in it at the time. Also it's proven that burglars do not enter a home with the intent to kill or carry lethal weapons.

Most confrontations happen when the home owner inspects the activity or tries to confront it. You have a better chance by staying put, calling police and switching on your lights than you have going to hunt down someone lurking in your house.

I don't care what state you live in, if you shoot someone that is unarmed you face a wave of charges... especially if that person you just shot was your teenage daughter slipping through the window late night becuase she had a unauthorized nights out or one of your buddies who wanted to play a prank/suprise you. You guys might think you are all rambo, but you are not.

I lived in a life where burglaries including murder was a daily thing, where I come from you would not just get robbed, you get raped and killed too... no such thing as a innocent burglary there. And even I think you guys are over reacting and trying to be tough. Trust me, when homeowners are getting killed when they are packing 10 guage shotties or AK47's, then I highly doubt your 44 or your 9mm is going to be any more effective.
 
Statistically it's proven that burglars do not intend to rob homes which has occupants in it at the time. Also it's proven that burglars do not enter a home with the intent to kill or carry lethal weapons.

Most confrontations happen when the home owner inspects the activity or tries to confront it. You have a better chance by staying put, calling police and switching on your lights than you have going to hunt down someone lurking in your house.

I don't care what state you live in, if you shoot someone that is unarmed you face a wave of charges... especially if that person you just shot was your teenage daughter slipping through the window late night becuase she had a unauthorized nights out or one of your buddies who wanted to play a prank/suprise you. You guys might think you are all rambo, but you are not.

I lived in a life where burglaries including murder was a daily thing, where I come from you would not just get robbed, you get raped and killed too... no such thing as a innocent burglary there. And even I think you guys are over reacting and trying to be tough. Trust me, when homeowners are getting killed when they are packing 10 guage shotties or AK47's, then I highly doubt your 44 or your 9mm is going to be any more effective.

The thing is, you DON'T KNOW what their intentions are. I'm not going to make a descision based on statistics and I'm certainitly not going to wait in a little corner of my house wondering WTF the intruder in my house is going to do. And can you please point me to a case where shooting an intruder in your own home became a crime?

BTW, someone who owns a gun should be smart enough to know that BULLETS GO THROUGH WALLS which is why you shouldn't be using 44 mag for home defense unless you plan on killing the next door neighbors or your house is made out of solid cement.
 
Back
Top