Taking Google Glass Into The Men's Restroom?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ewww, aside from being a perv, what the hell was this guy doing going into all those public restrooms wearing Google Glass? :eek:

Scoble explained to a befuddled Keen that he had been wearing Glass non-stop all week; that he had walked into 20 men's restrooms wearing the device on his head; and that not once had anyone raised a stink, stared at him askew, or punched him in his nose.

And the plummet of man kind continues. I saw a glass user in Atlanta's airport when I was connecting flights just pan scanning the crowd side to side. Everyone is a paprrazzi now.

You know if somebody was caught taking pictures with their phone at airports or some other places more than likely they would be asked to stop and leave the premise.

Personally I would feel unconformable with somebody looking at me with these things, taking video/pics and uploading them to God knows where. I'm pretty sure once these things get release they are going to be banned from most places due to privacy and security concerns.

I would be treating them as normal glasses and not take them off when using the bathroom unless it was too dark in there. I forget most of the time that I am wearing sunglasses. Don't the Google Glasses have a light on when recording? Not that it wouldn't be easy to modify so light doesn't turn on.

And the plummet of man kind continues. I saw a glass user in Atlanta's airport when I was connecting flights just pan scanning the crowd side to side. Everyone is a paprrazzi now.

I would consider that a major security risk. What's to stop terrorist from taking video of sensitive sites, uploading to their terrorist buddies so they can better plan an attack.

I actually finally researched this thing
(after thinking its a POS)... actually seems pretty neat.... and apples copies it and sues Google in 3...
because apple has so much money now: I am genuinely surprised apple didn't do it first... meh, they must be too busy counting their money... are they ever going to innovate.. you know 'for real'?

I actually have no concern for joe blow taking my picture.. its the government passing anti-privacy crap thats wrong

So, cock gazing can now be added to the feature list of these things.

The next to catch a predator special will use google glass to film both sides of the encounter. Nothing says "oh shit" like seeing Chris Hansen so why not film the actual face to face encounter?

I actually have no concern for joe blow taking my picture.. its the government passing anti-privacy crap thats wrong

You should. Do you really want your face on some database or somebody's hard drive?

What's the chances that anyone in those restrooms knew exactly what the glasses were, once they become a little better know try this again and see what happens.

I would consider that a major security risk. What's to stop terrorist from taking video of sensitive sites, uploading to their terrorist buddies so they can better plan an attack.

I completely agree. This was happening in the Delta B-C gates of the airport if I recall correctly. I don't feel comfortable around these things at all and hope they get heavily scrutinized when security rules are built for them.

This issue is unlike anything Ive ever witnessed. smoking, drinking, gambling... those are all elements you can avoid by not supporting the place it is happening at. These damn Glass recording devices will be unavoidable unless banned like concealed carry weapons.

LOL @ this thread. Like Google was the first ones to put a video camera into a pair of glasses.

Now that you know something MUST be done ASAP... :rolleyes:

LOL @ this thread. Like Google was the first ones to put a video camera into a pair of glasses.

Now that you know something MUST be done ASAP... :rolleyes:

Who said they were the first to do this?
Actually who on the internet said this?

Personally I would feel unconformable with somebody looking at me with these things, taking video/pics and uploading them to God knows where. I'm pretty sure once these things get release they are going to be banned from most places due to privacy and security concerns.

Well, to be honest, even if they had a enormous professional camera in their hands, there is little you can do about having your picture taken.

Courts have time and time again upheld that there is no expectation of privacy when in a public place, so it is perfectly legal for a person to take your photo, and do whatever they want with it, including selling it. This goes for anything that is visible from a public place as well. The only exceptions are certain classified military installations. That's how the paparazzi get away with what they do.

Now, private establishments that already ban cameras would likely also ban the Google glass.

You should. Do you really want your face on some database or somebody's hard drive?

As mentioned above, nothing you can do about it legally.

As individuals in America, (and most of the modern world) people simply do not own their image when in a public place.

Only difference here is that it is not as apparent that someone is taking your picture, where with a traditional camera or even a phone, at least you can try to move out of the way or cover your face if you want.

Well there's why he didn't get punched in the face, he's in Amsterdam, who's going to notice him wearing something weird when your half baked in a cafe?

So if you are using Google Glass in a men's rest room will you then be getting targeted ads from Google about penis enlargement or enhancement?

I'm pretty sure once these things get release they are going to be banned from most places due to privacy and security concerns.

Not a chance! Think back to 2003-2004 when camera phones were becoming a bigger deal.

I wonder if someone else can say a command to make your glass stop recording. So you see someone with google glass and say glass, stop recording. Or you think its locked to that owners voice only?

You're asking the wrong question. You should have instead asked if he's going to be negatively impacted by having his face in some database or on somebody's hard drive.

And the answer is "probably not".

I think the best way to prevent unwanted or illegal recording without consent would be to have a obvious bright blue LED flash when recording. Just being on is not enough, it must flash rapidly while recording.

I think the best way to prevent unwanted or illegal recording without consent would be to have a obvious bright blue LED flash when recording. Just being on is not enough, it must flash rapidly while recording.

Nothing a little tape can't fix. I'd do it myself just to block out the insanely bright blue LEDs that manufacturers like to put on everything.

There's nothing to stop a terrorist from taking video or pictures of sensitive sites. But they simply don't do that.

http://www.photographyisnotacrime.com/2013/04/16/boston-marathon-explosions-reveal-hypocrisy-behind-police-attitude-towards-photographers/

Article doesn't say why, but I'm guessing it's because it's not necessary. You can check out a place and rely on your memory. Real life isn't like a spy movie where you have to precisely slip in between guard changes. Plus if a place is well guarded, terrorists will simply pick a less guarded location with lots of people.

Ah, sweet paranoia. Guess what, morons: Cameras have been small enough for people to take pictures and video of you without your knowledge for a very. long. time. In fact, Google Glass is better in regard to this issue because the camera isn't concealed at all; it's right there on the user's face.

People are on their phone in restrooms all the time, this is no difference. Now, I do think Google Glass looks as ridiculous as people who have their Bluetooth headset in even while not on the phone.

Ah, sweet paranoia. Guess what, morons: Cameras have been small enough for people to take pictures and video of you without your knowledge for a very. long. time. In fact, Google Glass is better in regard to this issue because the camera isn't concealed at all; it's right there on the user's face.

Wow, not to much or an supercilious douche are you?

Yes cameras have been extremely small for a long time, but the average person wasn't equiped with them now are they? These on the otherhand, if they take off, we could see on millions of people across the country on a regular basis.

Yes cameras have been extremely small for a long time, but the average person wasn't equiped with them now are they? These on the otherhand, if they take off, we could see on millions of people across the country on a regular basis.

Exactly. Glass will attract the the same type of people who take pictures of food on FB, update every little life event on Twitter or record a thousand videos for upload to Youtube. People who won't have any clue how to use them and just let google run it as they see fit which will be to record and advertise everything.

The 10-30 age generation is already lost on how to read paper maps or explore on their own without GPS assistance. These damn things will turn them into zombies being told what to do. Although one good thing is while they obey the GPS voice in their head they will at least have their head out of their phone screen and not crash into people or objects as they walk.

We've had cameras that could fit inside 100% normal looking sets of glasses for years now - who he hell cares.

If you are in a public place -- you should understand and expect to be on camera at all times. If I want to take a picture of what's outside my window -- should I stop all traffic outside and get them to sign waivers?

Of course people are going to find sleazy uses for it -- just wait till we have the first duo of first person sex tapes released or streamed live. It all falls under the same "who cares" category as phone sex, dirty movies, blah blah blah.

I like how some average know nothing person with a boring life thinks that everyone else has some sort of supreme interest in their life or their pictures.

Exactly. Glass will attract the the same type of people who take pictures of food on FB, update every little life event on Twitter or record a thousand videos for upload to Youtube. People who won't have any clue how to use them and just let google run it as they see fit which will be to record and advertise everything.

The 10-30 age generation is already lost on how to read paper maps or explore on their own without GPS assistance. These damn things will turn them into zombies being told what to do. Although one good thing is while they obey the GPS voice in their head they will at least have their head out of their phone screen and not crash into people or objects as they walk.

heh glad I'm 31- and used to have a job as a GIS mapping/ IT guy for an oil and gas outfit... hooray ArcGIS and AutoCAD.

Damn you economic collapse! *shakes fist* going from six figures to under 40k a year blows ass.

Well, I can type and spell; that's one thing in my favor.

Setting aside my supercilious douchy pedantry for a moment, these glasses aren't going to be shipping with unlimited memory, so why would people worry about constant surveillance from them? Further, even "if they take off," they're still not going to be worn by everyone or even a significant plurality of the population. Finally, the people who are going to be taking lots of pictures and video with the glasses will be the same people who already whip out a camera phone regularly - and cameras are installed in virtually every phone, even the most basic feature phones you can buy at the local 7-11.

Again, it's paranoia. Tell you what, though, if you want to reinforce your paranoia then I suggest reading the book "Earth" by David Brin. That should be enough to keep you from connecting to the Internet, let alone leaving the house. It would be a net positive for the rest of us.

LOL, just take a picture of the idiots that are misusing the device, and misuse it on them. These wannabe paparazzi will only think they are cool till their picture, name, address, and the their douchebaggery, is posted for all to see. I always have a shirt with a pocket on it, so I can set my phone to record video and then stick it in my pocket with the camera facing forward. This is no different that the Glass, and is in fact easier to hide. Your phone sticking out of your pocket like,
is not likely to gain much attention.

God, I just realized, that is seriously an old man shirt.

Back