• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

takes a while to start after hitting power

roz1281

Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2004
Messages
618
Hi, a PC i built for my mother a while ago (based on an old socket A shuttle barebones) takes forever to start after hitting the power button.

We will hit power, walk away for 2-10 minutes before it comes on. is this sign of a dying PSU or a safety issue, or just low wattage vs what's needed. It's been doing this for a year.
 
No sounds, other than the hum of it working. While it's trying to start up, sometimes you can hear a very faint ... surge. Only audible with the case cover off and your ear up to it, so it might be normal?
 
You don't see anything on the screen, no POST screen or anything?

Could very well be the PSU. One of those PSU "testers" wouldn't be very helpful, as that needs to be plugged into the ATX 24-pin connector, which means you couldn't monitor the voltages when the PSU experienced a start up load. It would be better to get a cheap digital multimeter, that way at the very least you could look at the +12V and +5V readings off a molex as the system goes through startup.


Anyway, what's the PSUs brand and model?
 
Oh man I don't know the brand, I will try and look (it came with the system) once i open it again in a few minutes.

No , i don't see anything, the computer actually sits there in an off state (no lights, it's as if i didn't hit power at all) untill it decides to start, then it starts instantly like everything's normal.
 
+1 Zero82z - Sounds like it could be a Mobo issue, possibly not in the right "state" for boot when you hit the power button
 
brand is Achme 200w s/n 0376386 model AM630BS20S.

either way, mobo or psu, I'll probably have to setup a new system due to the proprietary case, and general age of the system i think :(.
 
I can't find much info on it.

I found some pictures and specifications sheets. It appears to have a flex ATX form factor. It has a -5V rail so the design is from 2003 or earlier. Most units from that era use the obsolete half bridge topology. But it also claims active PFC, which you don't see very often on units with that design.

I'm actually not sure how APFC is implemented with a half bridge topology, I know that with double forward designs it's implemented via a boost converter after the rectifying bridge but before the primary caps to boost voltage up to 400V and present a load that appears much less reactive than it would otherwise. I'm not sure if the same principal applies to half bridge units.

Or it might use a double forward design, that wasn't unheard of. Just far more common on server PSUs than PC ones.

The fact that it had active PFC in a small form factor in that time period says that it was definitely a better than average unit for the time... But that still might not make it very good.

I can find very little information on "Achme", most searches just bring up "Acme". I think I saw something referring to "achme.com.tw" but that's just a parked advertising domain now.


Basically I can tell you very little about the power supply, and probably can't tell you any more without the unit being opened up for inspection.
 
You lost me :) I know almost nothing when it comes to PSU's. I don't want to open it up either as it's so old I don't think it's going to hang around much longer. But thanks for your detailed reply.

All I know is the barebones got great reviews when released back then :p

So looks like a good time for system rebuild/update? I don't think I'd even be able to replace that PSU easily, and it wouldn't be worth it. Same deal if it's a motherboard issue.
 
So looks like a good time for system rebuild/update? I don't think I'd even be able to replace that PSU easily, and it wouldn't be worth it. Same deal if it's a motherboard issue.

Yeah time for a whole new build man. Considering that it's socket A , you're just better just scrapping that Shuttle and buying a cheap prebuilt for her. I'm willing to bet that this $220 Atom Nettop would be faster than that Socket A Shuttle:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108320
 
It sounds more like a motherboard issue to me.

This seems the most likely. I had a similar problem with an old AM2 system, until one day it wouldn't wake up from the dead. Took the PSU out to test and it powers a different system fine.
 
If you are looking for a budget system, I highly recommend checking out Micro Center.

They are carrying refurbished, off-lease Dell Optiplex systems. you can get a dual core system for less than $250 in most cases. I have bought 4 of them so far, 1 for my mom, 2 for myself, to horse around with, and my uncle bought one for himself.

Having installed these same models of Optiplex at Ford, while I was working there, I can tell you they are built like the proverbial "brick outhouse" and are extremely reliable.
 
Back
Top