T1 Install.... what next?

ToddW2

2[H]4U
So, getting my T1 setup on Tuesday as most in this area probably have realized by my other threads ;)

They are providing the router.

Beyond the router they provide... what should I consider for security for my LAN?

Should I add any other type of hardware for malware/virus/ddos etc protection or anything else or just make sure the router is locked down?

From the router guessing you can just treat it like any other internet connection. Personally I like pfsense. Hopefully the router is setup to give you a direct IP out, and does not do NAT. Otherwise you wont have as much control over things like port forwarding.

I'm kinda in agreement with Red Squirrel. I would look at setting up an external firewall using something like pfsense or devil linux. However, I would also look into the kind of router they're giving you; if the level of security on the router is good, you could do without the extra firewall and avoid too much administrative overhead.

Sounds good guys, pretty much my thought too.

I already hit them up on the router make/model# but they said they aren't sure until the install occurs other than it will be a Cisco made unit.

I've already been assigned my own ARIN identification with a block of 8IPs to use.

The router they provide will simply be a "bridge" with no fire walling whatsoever......Unless you paid for a managed firewall service...

The router they provide will simply be a "bridge" with no fire walling whatsoever......Unless you paid for a managed firewall service...

I did pay for a managed router.

They never mentioned anything regarding managed firewall, or the router only providing a 'bridge'.

If that's the case, then what is the most affordable solution for me to consider?

They manage the router, but it still delivers unfiltered internet to you. You absolutely need a firewall. I use pfsense for my clients.

Ok, good to know.

Are there any low watt prebuilt pfsense boxes out there? Or, should I build an ATOM based system?

I've been suggested this by friends too, just no idea where to start in regards to the system build.

I have some standard "home" routers from LinkSys I can probably throw on the system until I figure it out... all advice is requested, and greatly appreciated. I have about a week to figure it out until my line is live.

Ok, good to know.

Are there any low watt prebuilt pfsense boxes out there? Or, should I build an ATOM based system?

I've been suggested this by friends too, just no idea where to start in regards to the system build.

I have some standard "home" routers from LinkSys I can probably throw on the system until I figure it out... all advice is requested, and greatly appreciated. I have about a week to figure it out until my line is live.

There is the starting point for a pfsense box :

http://store.netgate.com/ALIX2D3-2D13-Kit-Black-Unassembled-P172C82.aspx

After sky is the limit, pfsense can be installed on a lot of hardware, there is recommended hardware that can be found on pfsense website.

I personnaly own this box :

Link

with an intel 2500CCE, 4gb ram and a 120gb SSD

Last edited:
Ok, good to know.

You can use a plain old Linksys like you'd use for a cable modem - there's no real difference between the connections other than speeds. It's just an IP address... (or group of them)

Maybe grab a Mikrotik or something.

pfSense, Mkrotik, Ubiquiti, or any consumer-grade router will be fine options.

I guess I don't frequent this section enough. I gather this is for personal use? Why a T1? That is pretty slow for personal internet.

You can use a plain old Linksys like you'd use for a cable modem - there's no real difference between the connections other than speeds.

Yes, if you want weekly calls that the internet is down, get a Linksys and reboot it a whole bunch. I've turned down small-business network installs in which the owner wanted Linksys stuff. Nope. Not happening. Find someone else to support that.

Cisco ASA, Juniper SRX, or something like pfSense.

We have had good luck with Watchguard at our HQ (metro ethernet) and branch offices (Cell internet and T1).

Got the router in the mail today.

Cisco 1921 ISR

Is what the manual says.

Back