T-Mobile Launch Data-Only Plans Tomorrow?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this site, T-Mobile is launching data-only rate plans tomorrow. Rates start at $20 for 2GB data up to $95 for a 22GB.

T-Mobile is planning to launch Simple Choice Data-Only rate plans on March 30, according to an image shared with TmoNews. The plans will only be available for GSM devices and are not eligible for the $10 Automatic Mobile Internet Discount. The image also shows that BlackBerry devices will need to be BB10 or a Priv in order to use the Simple Choice Data-Only plan.

now only if they offer unlimiited data i will throw comcusks away into the lake with a lead ball chain...

now only if they offer unlimiited data i will throw comcusks away into the lake with a lead ball chain...

That won't happen. If anything it will be x GB LTE then 3G unlimited till next billing cycle.

And to think that people were pissing/moaning about Google Fi being $10/1GB... :LOL:

I use Cricket and Google Voice. If Google Fi wasn't so damned expensive I would have moved over to it. Cricket is just a no brainer for the money. Especially if you have multiple phones.

And to think that people were pissing/moaning about Google Fi being $10/1GB... :LOL:
I have Google Fi and while it's great for me - I do wish that I don't have to pay for voice because it's useless for me seeing that I'm deaf. I'll wait and see if Google Fi will update perhaps their pricing structure down the road. For now, I'm happy with paying what I am anyways.

I pay T-Mobile $20 a month for unlimited data and 5gb of tethering. Why is this so much more expensive?

wHxRE5T.jpg

I have Google Fi and while it's great for me - I do wish that I don't have to pay for voice because it's useless for me seeing that I'm deaf. I'll wait and see if Google Fi will update perhaps their pricing structure down the road. For now, I'm happy with paying what I am anyways.
Oh, I'm on Fi with a Nexus 6P, my 2nd bill was ~$30 after they credited me for some unused data. Way better than the nearly $90 I was paying on AT&T with my HTC One M7. Most of my data usage is over Wi-Fi.

Oh, I'm on Fi with a Nexus 6P, my 2nd bill was ~$30 after they credited me for some unused data. Way better than the nearly $90 I was paying on AT&T with my HTC One M7. Most of my data usage is over Wi-Fi.
Exactly - I can't complain that I'm paying 26-28/mo as I'm usually on WiFi anyways and so far it GoogleFi has been great for me and my needs. Win all around but I'm glad TMobile is making this change regardless and it's a long overdue one for the telecom industry anyways. Looking forward to what comes down the road in the future.

I use Cricket and Google Voice. If Google Fi wasn't so damned expensive I would have moved over to it. Cricket is just a no brainer for the money. Especially if you have multiple phones.

Me too... saving %50 from my Verizon bill... 4 phones.

I have not really noticed the slower 4g... but I am a pretty low data user.

The day this comes to new Zealand, that's the last day I ever pay for SMS/calling services. Have not had a land line for 4 years... Dat VoIP life!

I love my Fi. It allows me to have my Nexus 5x phone and my 2013 Nexus 7 on a data only SIM (which happens to be TMobile based) and get away with only paying ~$30 + ~5 in fees per month.

Thing is, while I am a heavy phone user, I mostly use it for web/email. I very rarely stream anything (video or audio) and I never do downloads while out and about. My tablet is pretty much only used for Waze navigation. I spend most of my time either at work or at home where I have wifi coverage, so as a heavy non-media streaming user, I wind up using about a gig per month.

fi.jpg

This is my first month with Fi, and I am loving it thus far. My 1 GB will likely go down next month, as I had a few extra days billed in in the beginning when I started my service, making this billing cycle have more days than a month. That, and I turned off automatic app updates. Even with downloading over metered connections disabled, I found that it would start downloading apps, just as I was leaving the house, and there was no good way to stop it, so it would continue on mobile data. That is what resulted in most of the spikes in my data usage. I changed this setting on about March 18th I think.

Also, I added my data only SIM to my tablet about mid month. Before that I was tethering it. That is why my tehtering usage went away.

I'm looking forward to April being a 750MB month, and having a cheaper cell plan than ever! :p

Before I switched, I was on Verizon paying ~$89 in total per month, for just my phone line and a 3GB plan, and that was AFTER my 22% corporate discount...

I hate people who get rid of their land based internet and use their phones for everything. They congest the system and ruin it for everyone else.

If it were up to me, all carriers would kill their unlimited plans permanently, grandfathered or not, and move everyone to ~$10 per gig plans. it would free up so much spectrum, and make mobile data work so much better when you actually need it.

because that's what mobile data should be. A fallback for when you need data and are out of WiFi range. Not the primary internet connection.

Last edited:
Back