T-Mobile Gigabit LTE Hits 673 Mbps in Real-World Demo

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
T-Mobile demoed just how fast phones can be when they're capable of taking advantage of Gigabit LTE speeds. Mark McDiarmid, T-Mobile's vice president of networking, tested a Galaxy S8 connected to T-Mobile's network here in San Jose using the Speedtest app from network testing firm Ookla. The phone hit download speeds of 610 Mbps — not quite the theoretical 1 Gbps, but impressive for a phone outside of a test lab.

Demos put on by T-Mobile and Qualcomm not only showed off the faster speed of Gigabit LTE-capable phones — a second Ookla speedtest had a Note 8 turned in download of speeds of 673 Mbps while the older Note 5 puttered along at 275 Mbps — but other benefits as well. Qualcomm VP of marketing and communication Pete Lancia said Gigabit LTE improves network congestion by using just a fraction of a network's resources, so even wireless customers without a Gigiabit LTE-capable phone figure to benefit from the technology.

Now if they offered that service with unlimited data (at full speed, no throttling) for ~$100 or less with free tethering, I would buy it in a heart beat and use it as my main internet.

It's not like you're likely to see 500 Mbps (at least not once most handsets have access. AFAIK, that's the max for given pipe (think of it as an empty highway), but once you toss a bunch of people on there, it'll be much slower.

What's the point?

Things that benefit form speeds like this should all be done on wired, ground based internet, not clogging up the airways.

Mobile internet is for temporary light web and email use when you are out of range of your home or office that has ground based internet. For this purpose, and this purpose only.

What's the point?
Things that benefit form speeds like this should all be done on wired, ground based internet, not clogging up the airways.
Mobile internet is for temporary light web and email use when you are out of range of your home or office that has ground based internet. For this purpose, and this purpose only.

That may be true in the developed world, but in places like India, as I understand it, they've largely skipped wired internet, so doing this matters. It also probably will help with IoT if that starts chewing up enough bandwidth.

That may be true in the developed world, but in places like India, as I understand it, they've largely skipped wired internet, so doing this matters. It also probably will help with IoT if that starts chewing up enough bandwidth.

Eww. IoT. The scourge of the internet.

Lots of useless throwaway trinkets that never get security patches used to spy on everyone.

Joy.

What's the point?

I'm not certain if you jest or not. I am glad that you are the mobile data arbiter if you were serious.

5 bucks says that was a cherry picked phone with a cherry picked tower

T-Mobil added they have no plans to cap bandwidth to T-Mobil's site and have renamed their bill payment system Ultra T-Pay, or simply Ultra T-P.

"Customers are tired of delays in paying their phone bills. Now they won't have to." He later added, "Insert mic drop."

Im in the middle of Texas and I get 100 down and 10 up consistently on T-Mobile, even if I get double this it would be pretty amazing.

And here we sit with Gigabit wired Ethernet on our desktops...

Gigabit wired is still significantly faster.
Wireless is half duplex and a shared bandwidth.
Wired is full duplex and not shared if you are using a switch. (although it is shared at your router/modem)

Still, I wish 10gigabit Ethernet prices would come down. They are still several times more expensive than gigabit Ethernet.

Im in the middle of Texas and I get 100 down and 10 up consistently on T-Mobile, even if I get double this it would be pretty amazing.
I’m in Utah, and 1mbps consistanly would be amazing.
It’s often about 0.2 - 0.6
(Ironically, also on an S8, albeit a Verizon one)

And it’s not like I’m in the middle of nowhere. I have gigabit internet at home and those speeds are at the office, a short drive north, just off the freeway, and in town.

What's the point?

If you can make phones go faster than you can free up wireless spectrum. Its just like a car, imagine if everyone was forced to drive 20 mph. Our roads and highways would clog up with 3x as much traffic because people would remain on the roads for a longer time. Now if you speed them up to 160 mph you can reduce the traffic by 2-3x because people get where they are going faster. Wireless spectrum is similar. If you give me a faster service I will simply get all my email and web browsing done faster and my phone wont sit around hogging up spectrum to try and download something.

Basically my point is just like with hard wired connections faster is almost always better and yields a much better product for everyone. And this is especially true in wireless where most of the speed gains come from more efficient and sensitive protocols. There are so many upsides to this!

Ahh metered wireless service! One of capitalism's finest failures. Who the hell gives a sh*t if my phone is 10x faster than my last model if I hit my data cap in under a minute?!

Can 5 phones do that simultaneously when connected to the same cell tower or distributed small cell?

Me doubts it very much.

Gigabit wired is still significantly faster.
Wireless is half duplex and a shared bandwidth.
Wired is full duplex and not shared if you are using a switch. (although it is shared at your router/modem)

Still, I wish 10gigabit Ethernet prices would come down. They are still several times more expensive than gigabit Ethernet.

LTE (and GSM before it) are full duplex, up and down go on separate frequencies.

Ahh metered wireless service! One of capitalism's finest failures. Who the hell gives a sh*t if my phone is 10x faster than my last model if I hit my data cap in under a minute?!

Ahhhh you are right, everything must be free including labourer.

the benefit of this is there be more bandwidth available for everyone, more than likely it get close to 900mb spread over a bunch of users (overall most may not notice speeds have gone up just that the connection is more stable)

the LTE-ADV spec was supposed to be able to get upto 1gbs or more total usable bandwidth not what a individual device can use (but there is no limit on duplexing on LTE just the limit really is how many blocks of 5-10mhz do they have and phone support)

Competition for my overpriced cable ISP is definitely needed. Hell, I can't even threaten to leave because they know I have no other legitimate service in my area.

Back