T-mobile Galaxy S2 getting different chips

whats so horrid about having a Snapdragon APQ8060, in place of the Exynos ? just because its not made by sammy?

its interesting that the T-mobile variant will have a different CPU, however i cant see the huge issue....

Maybe tmobile was asking for better battery life?
I have an HTC sensation with this CPU and I have no issues with it.

whats so horrid about having a Snapdragon APQ8060, in place of the Exynos ? just because its not made by sammy?
http://phandroid.com/2011/09/12/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-gpu-clocks-in-at-nearly-2x-the-competition/

its interesting that the T-mobile variant will have a different CPU, however i cant see the huge issue....
That device will be more likely to get support if it's using similar hardware. When it was announced that T-mobile is changing their variant a lot of people had flashbacks to them killing support for their year old flagship Galaxy devices a few months ago. Samsung has a good thing with this phone and T-mobile is fixing something that isn't broken....that's a worrisome business practice IMO.

By no means am i saying its a super good idea to vary from the rest of the line, however, lower power consumption may be what T-Mo wants, btw that link of yours does not include the Snapdragon APQ8060 .... only the Single core Snapdragon, and Tegra 2 (plus iPad 2)

http://phandroid.com/2011/09/12/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-gpu-clocks-in-at-nearly-2x-the-competition/

That device will be more likely to get support if it's using similar hardware. When it was announced that T-mobile is changing their variant a lot of people had flashbacks to them killing support for their year old flagship Galaxy devices a few months ago. Samsung has a good thing with this phone and T-mobile is fixing something that isn't broken....that's a worrisome business practice IMO.

Ugh, terrible. Exynos is what separates SGS II from the rest of the pack. Check out the anandtech review, for instance.

What I read earlier is T-Mobile was switching processors because the Exynos integrated modem only supported HSPA+ 21Mbps. T-Mobile wants a HSPA+ 42Mbps modem, so needed a Snapdragon to support that.

So the processor may not be as good, but you get a faster modem out of it.

I'd imagine it's an issue with battery life with the larger screen, not just T-mobile trying to fix something that's broken. If they kept it the same and the battery was noticeably different than the at&t one I'm sure people would be complaining about that.

So your upset that T-Mobile is making it so their subscribers can get the full speed of the T-Mobile network?....i'd prefer higher network speed over CPU speed that i wouldnt notice...

What I read earlier is T-Mobile was switching processors because the Exynos integrated modem only supported HSPA+ 21Mbps. T-Mobile wants a HSPA+ 42Mbps modem, so needed a Snapdragon to support that.

So the processor may not be as good, but you get a faster modem out of it.

I heard the main reason for the different chip in the T-Mobile variant, is due to the crazy radio they will have in the phone, supposed to be able to handle 45mb/sec downloads :eek: the Samsung chip can't do that for some reason.

But who the fuck needs almost 50mb per second download speed on their cell phone WTF :confused:

Why not ? :D and ya, thats what Blown 89 posted (which is what a post of mine later in the thread is based on)

I heard the main reason for the different chip in the T-Mobile variant, is due to the crazy radio they will have in the phone, supposed to be able to handle 45mb/sec downloads :eek: the Samsung chip can't do that for some reason.

But who the fuck needs almost 50mb per second download speed on their cell phone WTF :confused:

42mbps on a phone is pretty much unnecessary at the moment. 90% of Americans don't see that high of speeds even at home. Not really seeing TMo's logic here, and as a consumer, I'd rather have the faster chip rather than an increase in download speeds that won't really ever make that much of a difference on a mobile device past where they're at now anyway.

So your upset that T-Mobile is making it so their subscribers can get the full speed of the T-Mobile network?....i'd prefer higher network speed over CPU speed that i wouldnt notice...

Actually I never said I was upset. I was just explaining why T-Mobile wanted the Snapdragon.

I'm waiting for Android 4.0 phones myself. :)

If you need more than a 1.2GhZ dual-core CPU in your phone, you're probably doing something wrong with it. I'd personally rather have the faster data pipeline.

I'm upset that T-Mobile is a company that is terrible about supporting their phones and Samsung isn't much better and creating unique chipsets will only slow those updates down. Mark my words, updates will be a big problem for this phone

I'm upset that T-Mobile is a company that is terrible about supporting their phones and Samsung isn't much better and creating unique chipsets will only slow those updates down. Mark my words, updates will be a big problem for this phone

Who waits for updates from the carrier ? That's what rooting and XDA is for :)

Dual carrier HSPA is the only tech TMo could be using that would be in a phone. It's 42mbps, and would have very little reach or reason to exist, as they only just announced plans to roll it out.

Dual carrier HSPA is the only tech TMo could be using that would be in a phone. It's 42mbps, and would have very little reach or reason to exist, as they only just announced plans to roll it out.

T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 Network has been out for months and is already in over 100 markets.

T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 Network has been out for months and is already in over 100 markets.

Actually, I just noticed the presser I read was dated 2010. I'm a dumbass.

Whoops.

Dual carrier is still a dumb idea. Nice for integrated devices like internet sticks and hotspots, but on a phone, I just don't see the point. 21.1 is still stupid quick and much more proven in a portable device.

Who waits for updates from the carrier ? That's what rooting and XDA is for :)
The devs still rely on leaked code from T-Mobile and Samsung....when T-Mobile and Samsung are slow to release it the devs have nothing to work off of. The Vibrant is a perfect example, T-Mobile announced that they will no longer push updates for the phone and development came to a grinding halt

The devs still rely on leaked code from T-Mobile and Samsung....when T-Mobile and Samsung are slow to release it the devs have nothing to work off of. The Vibrant is a perfect example, T-Mobile announced that they will no longer push updates for the phone and development came to a grinding halt

Good point, the Vibrant has the worst development, thanks Samsung and T-Mobile :rolleyes:

It's my understanding that the Sprint Epic, Verizon Fascinate, and AT&T Captivate are all getting Gingerbread. It's just the T-Mobile Vibrant that isn't getting it. Don't know who's fault that is, but it kinda looks more like T-Mobile's decision than Samsung's.

so just because you/others say 21.1 speed is "fast enough", why not push the technology? Why shouldnt T-Mobile utilize the speed on their network?

Actually, I just noticed the presser I read was dated 2010. I'm a dumbass.

Whoops.

Dual carrier is still a dumb idea. Nice for integrated devices like internet sticks and hotspots, but on a phone, I just don't see the point. 21.1 is still stupid quick and much more proven in a portable device.

Also keep in mind that HSPA+ 21 doesn't mean you actually get 21Mbps download speeds and HSPA+ 42 doesn't mean you actually get 42Mbps download speeds.

If you are real lucky your actual speeds are probably half the theoretical maximums and probably even quite a bit less than that normally.

42mbps on a phone is pretty much unnecessary at the moment. 90% of Americans don't see that high of speeds even at home. Not really seeing TMo's logic here, and as a consumer, I'd rather have the faster chip rather than an increase in download speeds that won't really ever make that much of a difference on a mobile device past where they're at now anyway.

Speed is always going to be the benchmark that people use to say their service is better, at least till we get to the point where it's not noticeable anymore. Hell, you can see it it now with people who say that both AT&T and T-Mobile are crap because they can pull 50m on a speed test (never mind that Verizon's LTE is still lightly used countrywide) and the other two are averaging in the 20s.

Also keep in mind that HSPA+ 21 doesn't mean you actually get 21Mbps download speeds and HSPA+ 42 doesn't mean you actually get 42Mbps download speeds.

If you are real lucky your actual speeds are probably half the theoretical maximums and probably even quite a bit less than that normally.
Speed means nothing when your ping is worse than a mid 90's dial up modem.

I do. I have t-mob and tethering is really really fast when I'm at work. Shit I even use it for torrents. I've gone over the "limit" a few times but never got a call or any slowdown. :cool:

Speed means nothing when your ping is worse than a mid 90's dial up modem.

ping doesn't mean much unless if you are using it for a poorly coded multiplayer game. streaming videos, web surfing, etc, are not as badly affected.

so just because you/others say 21.1 speed is "fast enough", why not push the technology? Why shouldnt T-Mobile utilize the speed on their network?

Do you honestly expect them to have a big enough backhaul to serve customers anything near 42mbps at anything close to a reliable amount of time? The only reason a big network speed jump like that helps anyone, is to increase your average speed, because a degraded connection has less effect.

the 21.1 on my galaxy S II is more like maxing out the 7.2-10.whatever of most current phones right now. I've only ever seen greater than 1MB/s transfers once.

Gee, that sucks. I get about 100ms on my T-Mobile 3G Vibrant. And HSPA+ has improved latency over that.

Gee, that sucks. I get about 100ms on my T-Mobile 3G Vibrant. And HSPA+ has improved latency over that.

80ms on my Atrix 4G. Unrelated, but I had to pipe in.

Of course, like all wireless... distance affects signal nonlinearly.

Maybe tmobile was asking for better battery life?
I have an HTC sensation with this CPU and I have no issues with it.

A higher clock yet slower clock for clock processor is usually the wrong answer to battery life issue. IMO the best way is make the phone a little thicker and put in a 1900 mah battery.

Also GS2 has better battery life than 95% of android phone.

Back