system won't start, PSU good

Jim S.

n00b
Joined
Dec 23, 2005
Messages
59
My system shut down normally last night, now it won't start. The standby power LED is on, but pushing the power button does nothing. I tested the power supply with a multimeter and all voltages are good on the main power cable and the 12V cable, I didn't test the drive cables because I assumed that they wouldn't cause the problem even if faulty. So, is it a safe assumption that my motherboard is bad, or is it possible that some other component could be shorting out the motherboard hard enough to cause it to appear bad? If it matters, the mobo is an Intel D975XBX, original revision, with a Core 2 Duo, I believe E6600. It's 5 years old, maybe 6, I don't remember. And I don't see any blown capacitors.
 
Hit up the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when the PC does not POST. Please come back after you've followed those steps.
 
Back
Top