Cyber Akuma
Gawd
- Joined
- Jan 3, 2009
- Messages
- 666
I know there are many bootdisks and other apps to test the hardware of a system, but some components are difficult or near impossible to test properly through software only, not to mention the system would need to be in a bootable state in order to do so. I was googling information for test hardware to find out what I could but I still have a bunch of questions.
First of all, I want to say that I am aware not all of these are for common testing for home.... if the pricepoints are any indication, but I would still like to know about them and if there are any alternatives.
I basically was only able to find three types of PC hardware testing tools, PSU testers, Ram testers, and POST cards.
So then....
1. Are there any other types of major hardware testing tools? I would assume there is no such thing as a hardware based CPU tester due to the extremely large amount of different shapes and sizes of the sockets..... not ones that don't likely cost tens of thousands of dollars anyway, same for motherboards.
2. Are laptop and PC POST cards any different? Would be it better to get a MINI-PCI Post card for laptops and a separate POST card for desktops, or would it make more sense to get a MINI-PCI POST card and a MINI-PCI -> PCI adapter?
3. Ram Testers were a bit confusing to research, there were dozens and each was very different in pricing and the ram they can test. Are there any ram testers available for more common people/ITs rather than the multi-thousand dollar ones clearly designed for big businesses? I am also confused with their compatibility, different ones supporting only certain or different types of ram I understand, but some appeared to merely need you to plug in a DIMM socket shaped to match that type of ram in order to work. How is this possible if the hardware isn't designed to test the full speed of the ram or the programming on the device?
4. Can you recommend me any good models/brands for the above three types of hardware testing tools, and any others that I may have missed?
5. Any other advice?
Thanks
First of all, I want to say that I am aware not all of these are for common testing for home.... if the pricepoints are any indication, but I would still like to know about them and if there are any alternatives.
I basically was only able to find three types of PC hardware testing tools, PSU testers, Ram testers, and POST cards.
So then....
1. Are there any other types of major hardware testing tools? I would assume there is no such thing as a hardware based CPU tester due to the extremely large amount of different shapes and sizes of the sockets..... not ones that don't likely cost tens of thousands of dollars anyway, same for motherboards.
2. Are laptop and PC POST cards any different? Would be it better to get a MINI-PCI Post card for laptops and a separate POST card for desktops, or would it make more sense to get a MINI-PCI POST card and a MINI-PCI -> PCI adapter?
3. Ram Testers were a bit confusing to research, there were dozens and each was very different in pricing and the ram they can test. Are there any ram testers available for more common people/ITs rather than the multi-thousand dollar ones clearly designed for big businesses? I am also confused with their compatibility, different ones supporting only certain or different types of ram I understand, but some appeared to merely need you to plug in a DIMM socket shaped to match that type of ram in order to work. How is this possible if the hardware isn't designed to test the full speed of the ram or the programming on the device?
4. Can you recommend me any good models/brands for the above three types of hardware testing tools, and any others that I may have missed?
5. Any other advice?
Thanks