System shuts down suddenly while gaming - board issue?

RazorWind

2[H]4U
its not hitting the limit. the OCP it tripping when it shouldnt(third or fourth time ive said it). your system only needs a 850w.
If it's immediately coming back up, it's not the OCP kicking in.

@OP: Have you tried eliminating the UPS by plugging the system directly into the wall?

Edit: Also, have you tried a clean Windows install?

Phaethar

Weaksauce
If it's immediately coming back up, it's not the OCP kicking in.

@OP: Have you tried eliminating the UPS by plugging the system directly into the wall?

Edit: Also, have you tried a clean Windows install?
What would happen if OCP kicked in and caused the system to shut down? It's weird enough that it's shutting down like this, but I'm not sure how or why it's turning back on a few seconds later on it's own.

I have not fully eliminated the UPS yet, no. I've been trying to reproduce the shutdown, but haven't found a way to reliably do it yet. I will say that nothing else connected to the UPS loses power. And BIOS is set to stay powered off in the event of a power loss, and since it's coming back on the board isn't treating it like it's losing power.

Have not yet tried a full Windows reinstall yet, but I will probably do that with the new motherboard.

RazorWind

2[H]4U
What would happen if OCP kicked in and caused the system to shut down? It's weird enough that it's shutting down like this, but I'm not sure how or why it's turning back on a few seconds later on it's own.

I have not fully eliminated the UPS yet, no. I've been trying to reproduce the shutdown, but haven't found a way to reliably do it yet. I will say that nothing else connected to the UPS loses power. And BIOS is set to stay powered off in the event of a power loss, and since it's coming back on the board isn't treating it like it's losing power.

Have not yet tried a full Windows reinstall yet, but I will probably do that with the new motherboard.
It should shut down and stay shut down if OCP is triggered. OCP is a safety feature that exists primarily to prevent a fire or damage to the power supply by shutting off power to the system. It wouldn't be a very good safety feature if it immediately powered the system back up.

Something that occurred to me as I was typing this post - could this maybe have to do with the power switch or its wiring? Check to see if it's chafed or pinched somewhere.

I'd try a fresh windows install with the minimum software required to reproduce before changing the motherboard out. RMAing a motherboard is a pain in the ass - reinstalling Windows is (relatively) easy, and free.

Phaethar

Weaksauce
It should shut down and stay shut down if OCP is triggered. OCP is a safety feature that exists primarily to prevent a fire or damage to the power supply by shutting off power to the system. It wouldn't be a very good safety feature if it immediately powered the system back up.

Something that occurred to me as I was typing this post - could this maybe have to do with the power switch or its wiring? Check to see if it's chafed or pinched somewhere.

I'd try a fresh windows install with the minimum software required to reproduce before changing the motherboard out. RMAing a motherboard is a pain in the ass - reinstalling Windows is (relatively) easy, and free.

Makes sense about OCP. I haven't been able to find any documentation on what should happen from the PSU makers (besides shutting down of course) when that is triggered. If the idea is to prevent the PSU from trying to deliver more power than it can, I could see it as coming right back up though.

I've looked over all wires that I can see inside the system. I don't see any problems. Of course, I can't see the entire cable between the power button and the board, as it's run through the case a bit. If it was a faulty wire though, I'd think it would shutdown other times besides playing a game, and always at the same couple spots in that game at that. Outside of that, the system will run for days at a time just fine.

Since I had started the RMA process on the board already, I received a new one this weekend. New EVGA PSU scheduled to be delivered today too. So sounds like I'll be doing a fresh Windows install along with all that anyways.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
My Apex 12 would do that sometimes when doing memory overclocking but the newer Bios fixed it for me not sure if your board might have a weird issue like that too.