• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

System Shuts down during power surge

murkris118

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
467
Hey guys,

I have an issue with my computer in that when the power goes off the system shuts down despite being connected to the UPS and restarts when there is a power blip or rapid fluctuation of power. Now fortunately my Asus motherboard has Surge Protection in it so I dont have to worry about hardware damage but why is this happening?. My PSU is a Cooler Master GX 750 and my UPS rating is 850VA which approximates to a maximum of 550W. The shutdowns and restarts happen when I am in game or doing some benchmarks by the way.

Rig:
Intel core i5-2500k @ stock
ASUS P8H77V
Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII Top
Intel 520 SSD 120GB
Corsair AF 140`s 2 Nos and SP 120`s 2Nos ( Case cooling )
WD Caviar Green 1TB
Xonar DG Sound Card
Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

I am living in a country with frequent power surges guys and I am worried if the UPS is not able to supply enough power to the system when on Load. During normal operation the system does not restart. Is there something wrong with the PSU or is the power rating of the UPS not enough for my rig?. Please help :(....
 
More than likely you need a better UPS since it doesn't protect you during load. What is the make and model of the UPS?

Edit: What all do you have connected to the UPS besides the PC? Monitor, printer, sound system?

Also, how old are the batteries?
 
Also your power supply in your computer may not like the "simulated sine wave" that the current UPS is outputting. You may need to get a backup that outputs a "pure sine wave". Most of APC's "Smart UPS" backups offer "pure sine wave" output, though they are a bit more then the normal backups.
 
really, Please take a look at the link and tell me if its the one you mentioned. Is it good ?. The backup I am having now is just 2 months old.:(
 
What kind of UPS is it, and how old is it? Have the batteries ever been replaced?

Your system shouldn't be maxing out that UPS. You're likely pulling about 400-450w max from the PSU. However, thats a REALLY shit PSU right off the bat. So you might be pulling over 550w from the wall.

That PSU should be replaced. Its a shit seventeam design with horrible efficency, horrible ripple/noise, and almost as bad regulation. That unit WILL kill components if left to its own devices.
 
That UPS is definitely too small for that computer (well, not at idle, but when you're gaming and with the monitor? definitely too small), and anything APC "Back-UPS" is meh to junk. Only the SmartUPS+ lines are worth it. Back-UPS is for non-enthusiast use, and I still wouldn't recommend it for that. Do it right: 1000va minimum for your computer, 1200+ for comp+monitor. Wattage on a UPS is only around 2/3 to 3/4 of the VA. And yeah, some power supplies hate the poorly simulated sine waves that cheap UPS units make. And also yeah, most Cooler Master power supplies are quite bad.
 
Last edited:
Just to put it out there, my wifes Corsair is on a Back-Ups 800va from 1997 and its fine. My system is on a Cyberpower 1350va and its fine. Neither are true sine wave UPS's. Even while gaming with two monitors, all my networking equipment, and my printer on, my Cyberpower keeps everything happy. Get a quality UPS and it will treat you right for MANY years. The only thing that typically fails on UPS's are the batteries.

So once again, what model? How old? Have the batteries ever been replaced?
 
Simply put, the UPS and PSU you have don't work well together. A Line Interactive UPS will switch power from line to battery in the event of a blackout, and when that switch happens there is a very brief period where power is not being delivered to your PSU. Simlulated or Pure Sine Wave, PFC Compatible or not, systems under load don't typically work well with Line Interactive UPSes.

Time to think about getting an Online UPS or sometimes called a Double Conversion UPS. New, these things are crazy expensive, but refubished with fresh batteries brings the cost down to a reasonable level.

http://www.refurbups.com/Liebert-GXT2-1000RT120-GXT2-1000VA-120V
 
Ok.. thanks for the advice guys but I can only afford a Smart UPS or a good power supply at the moment and not both.... Which one do you suggest I buy first?. and is APC 1000va Smart UPS enough for the rig at full gaming load?.
 
Quite honestly I'd go for a new power supply first since the most important part of any high end system is a quality power supply. Something like a Corsair HX750 or AX750 are great choices.
 
Ok.. How do you suggest this power supply is?.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/25/seasonic_x_series_x750_power_supply_review/1

I think its better than the Corsiar HX750 because of the Gold Certification and fully modular nature and it has won many editors choice awards. If I go with the power supply would I be able to get more out of the UPS because of the efficiency? and in turn get some more time to safely shut down the computer?.
 
How much do you guys reckon the total system power draw would be based on the above specifications?. 850VA equates to around 550W or 500W even in the lowest efficiency UPS`s and I doubt the system draw will even be close to that. Reviews suggest that the power draw with the 680 for the entire system is around 350W so with peripherals and other devices connected I would guess 500W Max maybe?. So my vote goes for the power supply... What do you guys say I buy first?.
 
Ok.. How do you suggest this power supply is?.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/25/seasonic_x_series_x750_power_supply_review/1

I think its better than the Corsiar HX750 because of the Gold Certification and fully modular nature and it has won many editors choice awards. If I go with the power supply would I be able to get more out of the UPS because of the efficiency? and in turn get some more time to safely shut down the computer?.
That Seasonic is basically a twin to the AX750. Internally both power supplies are pretty much identical. They are both very high on my list of recommended power supplies.

The only difference that I can tell between the two is the cables that corsair uses are a little more flexible then the seasonic's. Also, the seasonic labels what each plug is for the modular plugs on the PSU itself.
 
How much do you guys reckon the total system power draw would be based on the above specifications?. 850VA equates to around 550W or 500W even in the lowest efficiency UPS`s and I doubt the system draw will even be close to that. Reviews suggest that the power draw with the 680 for the entire system is around 350W so with peripherals and other devices connected I would guess 500W Max maybe?. So my vote goes for the power supply... What do you guys say I buy first?.
Going from this review of your video card:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/21/asus_geforce_gtx_680_directcu_ii_top_gpu_review/9

I'd say that total draw on a worse case is something like 500-550 if you include the monitor. It's always best to go over that however since you don't want to overload a power supply or UPS more then 80% it's rated load. So a 1000va would be best.
 
Going from this review of your video card:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...p_gpu_review/9

I'd say that total draw on a worse case is something like 500-550 if you include the monitor. It's always best to go over that however since you don't want to overload a power supply or UPS more then 80% it's rated load. So a 1000va would be best.

So what do you suggest I buy first? The Seasonic or an APC 1000VA UPS. As I have already quoted, I can only afford one at this time. Prolly have to save some bit to get the other soon.
 
Quite honestly I'd go for a new power supply first since the most important part of any high end system is a quality power supply. Something like a Corsair HX750 or AX750 are great choices.
.

I see you have suggested the power supply but will I still have shutdown and reset problems with the backup UPS I have at the moment even with the Gold certified PSU ?. I would think that supplying enough power to the system so that it does not shut down during surges takes precedence over supplying the system with power with the PSU. What do you feel?
 
Tough decision. If it were my system I would go for the UPS first and then make as many sacrifices as I could to be able to afford a PSU as quickly as possible. The reasoning for me is that if clean power is getting to the PSU, I would hope that clean power was being delivered to the components.

Of course, you could always go PSU first and then make sure that your system is idle/off when there is potential for blackouts, unless you life in an area where random blackouts are normal in which case I would go with my first suggestion.
 
UPS it is then... I guess I`ll save the PSU for a later date because my immediate concern is the system restarting or shutting down during a power surge and yeah there are random blackouts in my country. What kinda UPS do you suggest?. Is a Pure Sine Wave inverter really necessary or just a good APC Backup UPS with enough VA to drive my rig enough?.
 
GOOD CHRIST MAN

WHAT
KIND
OF
UPS
DO
YOU
HAVE?

HAVE
THE
BATTERIES
EVER
BEEN
REPLACED?

HOW
OLD
IS
IT?

If you want help, answer the fucking helpers questions!
 
.

I see you have suggested the power supply but will I still have shutdown and reset problems with the backup UPS I have at the moment even with the Gold certified PSU ?. I would think that supplying enough power to the system so that it does not shut down during surges takes precedence over supplying the system with power with the PSU. What do you feel?

UPS it is then... I guess I`ll save the PSU for a later date because my immediate concern is the system restarting or shutting down during a power surge and yeah there are random blackouts in my country. What kinda UPS do you suggest?. Is a Pure Sine Wave inverter really necessary or just a good APC Backup UPS with enough VA to drive my rig enough?.
The power supply that you currently have is a very poor design. I have a feeling that it might be partly if not mostly to blame for the problems you're having. Again I say get a seasonic or corsair power supply first. The power your components are getting now is NOT clean power currently.


GOOD CHRIST MAN

WHAT
KIND
OF
UPS
DO
YOU
HAVE?

HAVE
THE
BATTERIES
EVER
BEEN
REPLACED?

HOW
OLD
IS
IT?

If you want help, answer the fucking helpers questions!
Check out post #6 it's only 2 months old. I have a feeling that English might not be his first language so please go easy on him.

Though I would be curious on what make/model the UPS is exactly.
 
UPS it is then... I guess I`ll save the PSU for a later date because my immediate concern is the system restarting or shutting down during a power surge and yeah there are random blackouts in my country. What kinda UPS do you suggest?. Is a Pure Sine Wave inverter really necessary or just a good APC Backup UPS with enough VA to drive my rig enough?.

Post #9 has a link to an affordable refurbished online ups with fresh batteries. Pure sine is recommended, highly recommended.
 
I finally have chosen a model for my rig guys and like many of you advised it is a Pure Sine Wave model from APC. At the moment this is the best I can afford as the 1000va model seems too far fetched for my budget. Please let me know if this would be a good buy guys and would it be sufficient for my rig?. Peak backup time is 5 mins under full load which is 500W. Please let me know what you think....

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua750i&tab=features
 
I can either go with the above mentioned model or any of the higher rated Backup UPS`s from APC which is not Pure Sine Wave. I am wondering whether that parameter is so important so as to take risk on the low rated power output and possibly overload the UPS with my rig?. Suggestions guys, please.... I am lost....
 
I can either go with the above mentioned model or any of the higher rated Backup UPS`s from APC which is not Pure Sine Wave. I am wondering whether that parameter is so important so as to take risk on the low rated power output and possibly overload the UPS with my rig?. Suggestions guys, please.... I am lost....

I'd say get the Liebert linked on the previous page.. but the one thing about it is that it is pretty loud. There are 2 80mm fans inside. I used to have a 1500VA GXT2 and I replaced the fans with less loud ones, but I wasn't willing to go to really quiet ones because I didn't know if they would cool it well enough. I emailed Liebert about it and they stopped responding when I got the thing used.. All I said was the fan died and I was wondering how many CFM they had to be...
 
I finally have chosen a model for my rig guys and like many of you advised it is a Pure Sine Wave model from APC. At the moment this is the best I can afford as the 1000va model seems too far fetched for my budget. Please let me know if this would be a good buy guys and would it be sufficient for my rig?. Peak backup time is 5 mins under full load which is 500W. Please let me know what you think....

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua750i&tab=features
Does your area use 240V or 120V?

I can either go with the above mentioned model or any of the higher rated Backup UPS`s from APC which is not Pure Sine Wave. I am wondering whether that parameter is so important so as to take risk on the low rated power output and possibly overload the UPS with my rig?. Suggestions guys, please.... I am lost....
That's a good one, but I'd answer the question above before we can help further.
 
My area uses 230V AC.... Now, the backup ups would be cheap and provide me with more power at a lesser cost but will sacrifice the pure sine wave output... the pure sine wave is very expensive for a lower rating but more cleaner power.... what do i do?.... (or) discard this completely and go with a new high quality PSU first so that I supply clean power to the components and then think about the UPS later?... The thing is I bought the GX 750 by reading many reviews all of which said that it performed quite well although not as well as the highest quality PSU`s... Is it that bad?.... will it cause damage to my hardware with sustained use?.
 
My area uses 230V AC.... Now, the backup ups would be cheap and provide me with more power at a lesser cost but will sacrifice the pure sine wave output... the pure sine wave is very expensive for a lower rating but more cleaner power.... what do i do?.... (or) discard this completely and go with a new high quality PSU first so that I supply clean power to the components and then think about the UPS later?... The thing is I bought the GX 750 by reading many reviews all of which said that it performed quite well although not as well as the highest quality PSU`s... Is it that bad?.... will it cause damage to my hardware with sustained use?.

JonnyGuru's review of the power supply:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=188
The interesting part of the review is on page 3. Voltage regulation in the 3v rail is pretty bad.

Hardware secrets also has a solid review of it:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/917
Page 7 shows some pretty out of spec voltages on both the 3v and 5v rails.

Again, I say go for the seasonic power supply you talked about earlier in the thread. It will be a very good replacement.
Don't worry about the UPS yet. I have a feeling that a good quality power supply might work ok with your current UPS.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top