System shuts down and restarts when mining

TekRok

2[H]4U
When I mine using GuiMiner, I am only able to mine with 3 cards at full capacity, or 4 cards at low capacity. Anytime I try to turn on the 4th card at full capacity the system shuts off and restarts.

I have re-installed windows and the mining program itself, but the issues persists. I will try to run CGMiner to see if its GUIMiner thats causing the issue.

I also have a new Lepa PSU that is 1600W, 1700 peak. That should be able to handle the system I have listed in my signature. But I am also inclined to believe its a bad PSU that isnt supplying enough power to the 4th card so it crashes the system instead.

Thoughts?

You could be pushing the limits of that PSU. The symptoms seem like a power issue.

Try differing the order in which you activate them, there may be a specific problem with that one card or its power connectors.

It's also possible the four are drawing too much power through PCI-E, but I would expect that MB to be able to handle that load. You could try getting powered risers.

Last edited:
tom's hardware tested the 290 and the card drew 255w MAX. 255 x 4 = 1020w. How could a 1600w PSU not handle that? That's theoretically 580w left for the rest of the system. The PSU would have to be in pretty bad shape.

tom's hardware tested the 290 and the card drew 255w MAX. 255 x 4 = 1020w. How could a 1600w PSU not handle that? That's theoretically 580w left for the rest of the system. The PSU would have to be in pretty bad shape.

That's funny, because [H] shows that one 290 draws 330w while gaming, which isn't as intense as mining. 330w x 4 = 1320w. If OP's 4770k or 290s are overclocked, there goes the rest of his power budget.

I would try undervolting all your cards and leaving all the CPU power saving functions on in the BIOS to see if that makes a difference. Also looking at customer reviews, people on Amazon and Newegg complain about these units having poor quality control or failing while mining. You may have a dud.

Last edited:
I have that PSU with four 290's. Sure sounds like you got a bad PSU. HardOCP loves that PSU but if you read the reviews on Amazon they are terrible. There's a lot of variability with that PSU. I would exchange it for a different one. RMA it.

My Lepa G1600 runs perfectly stable with four 290's, so I know it should be able to handle the power.

Seeing how the Lepa units are pretty much out of stock everywhere I am going to try the Enermax MAXREVO 1500w Unit. Its made by the same company anyway.

Can't you just RMA that unit?
I would rather return it since I am still withing the return policy. RMA will probably take too long.
I am rather surprised these Lepa units are hit or miss, seeing as how they are made by Enermax.

I would rather return it since I am still withing the return policy. RMA will probably take too long.
I am rather surprised these Lepa units are hit or miss, seeing as how they are made by Enermax.

Sometimes people do advance RMA

OP, post pictures of your wiring. The lepa psu in your system has 6 individual 12 volt rails, you may not be load balancing right.

OP, post pictures of your wiring. The lepa psu in your system has 6 individual 12 volt rails, you may not be load balancing right.
The way my system is set up with radiators and fans its impossible to snap a clear pic.
There is 6 red video card connections, of which 4 are plugged in. I made sure to not mix 6 and 8 pins connectors. How could that be mixed up?

Oh I see what youre saying. The 12v1 and 12v2 are designated for MB and CPU. I am trying to find an illustration where they are located but coming up empty. It doesnt display which rail is which on the unit itself.

Guys it turns out I was overloading one of the rails that is designated for the MB and CPU (nothing in the manual that states which plug is which), I have done some searching and found this on another forum.
WIth Lepa 1600m you have to arrange the power connectors in a T letter fashion. If you have 4 video cards thats how you will want to plug them in. Now all I need to do is stress test the unit for a few days and see how it goes. The manual doesnt state any of this, so a big F to Lepa in terms of instructions and directions.
ntb0.jpg

Last edited:
Guys it turns out I was overloading one of the rails that is designated for the MB and CPU (nothing in the manual that states which plug is which), I have done some searching and found this on another forum.
WIth Lepa 1600m you have to arrange the power connectors in a T letter fashion. If you have 4 video cards thats how you will want to plug them in. Now all I need to do is stress test the unit for a few days and see how it goes. The manual doesnt state any of this, so a big F to Lepa in terms of instructions and directions.
ntb0.jpg

The card that you just posted is actually in your box, and the manual in the box states not to overload each rail. I think you just missed it. Yeah, you do a T. I'm sure you had two GPU's on the same rail. Each rail is good for 30A, and each GPU does 20A, so you were definitely overloading them.

The card is there but it doesnt state which rail is which and what it should be plugged into. After doing some digging its all clear.

The 290 will pull 300W from the PSU while mining @ stock speeds, about 330 overclocked.

Actually that is not entirely correct

it also depends on the cards default voltage, I have 1 that is 1.116(or something low like that) and one that is 1.175 and at default settings my system idle pulls .8amps(98w from the wall with an evga supernova 1300 so gold standard) and 5.8A while mining on both cards, so 300W from the wall roughly for mining, about 290W from the PSU.

Last edited:
Back