System Shock Review

erek

[H]F Junkie
80. Lower than I thought

“Well they got it, and you know what? It's great. This is, I feel confident saying, the definitive way to play System Shock in 2023 and beyond, but I can't help but wonder what that other world looks like. The one where Nightdive had the budget and the goodwill to take a few more risks, make a few more changes, and dramatically reduce the number of times it asked me to make a U-turn.”

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/system-shock-remake-review/

I'm pretty excited for this, and everything I've read so far has been positive.

Reactions: erek
like this
I'm pretty excited for this, and everything I've read so far has been positive.
There’s a fully playable demo
Of it on steam rn, Balkroth

1685387628447.png

If looking at the 80 score in the context for why it was given (for being "conservative" in being "faithful" to the original), that's a positive thing for many of the people looking forward to this remake. It sounds like the reviewer hoped for a modern take on System Shock. Lots of the series' fans would decry it if that was done.

Does this still have the infinite respawning enemies like the original in massive numbers?

like this
Oh I def noticed, and probably have played through it, just doesn't mean I remember it :p

like this
How spruced up will the final be over the demo? For me the demo seemed newer than 2016 because it has DLSS and other technology that didn’t exist until at least 2018 amongst others

Nvidia DLSS Reaches 'System Shock' Remake Demo​

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-dlss-expands-crysis-remastered-system-shock
There was a recent demo which wasn't that long ago, and it had bells and whistles. The first didn't - it was a very rough proof of "we are doing the right things to make it feel like SS".

My experience with the most recent demo was very positive. They nailed the feel IMO, while still updating it usefully for today.

Edit: The newer demo was the steam_next_fest_demo update, files dated Feb 7th, 2023.

Last edited:
There was a recent demo which wasn't that long ago, and it had bells and whistles. The first didn't - it was a very rough proof of "we are doing the right things to make it feel like SS".

My experience with the most recent demo was very positive. They nailed the feel IMO, while still updating it usefully for today.

Edit: The newer demo was the steam_next_fest_demo update, files dated Feb 7th, 2023.
so it's not exactly the same demo that pendragon1 was mentioning, it's definitely been updated

"the demos been out since 2016... see here:"

so it's not exactly the same demo that pendragon1 was mentioning, it's definitely been updated

doesnt matter. if you go download it you will get the updated version. so my point is valid.

Not literally the same version, no.

The feel is still largely the same. There wasn't really much of a technical problem in the older demo either. They've just fleshed out the menus for more options, added QoL updates, expanded demo area, etc.

They gave us a taste, while the designers were working on everything else. But the preview - was, and still is solid.

doesnt matter. if you go download it you will get the updated version. so my point is valid.
seems like a pointless point cause i mentioned the demo anyhow.. which is useful to some who did not previously know about the new features like DLSS, etc

Not literally the same version, no.

The feel is still largely the same. There wasn't really much of a technical problem in the older demo either. They've just fleshed out the menus for more options, added QoL updates, expanded demo area, etc.

They gave us a taste, while the designers were working on everything else. But the preview - was, and still is solid.
the demo is pretty decently long too

As a big fan of the original, I put in the Kickstarter from the beginning. This game has had a long and hard development. They got plenty of money and actually tried to take their own more creative direction with it - it wasn't what the fans wanted. We wanted a remake of the original, pure and simple. They ended up putting the project on hold for a while.

After playing the most recent demo, I was very impressed. It's all I could have hoped for and if the rest of the game is this good I'm very happy.

The 2016 demo was more of a simple development demo to show what they wanted to do. It was built on unity where the current version is using UE4....hard to compare. It was very unfinished but got the intent across.

Can't wait to give this one a go! Unfortunately my steam key is lost in purgatory.... waiting for them to get back to me about that.

As a big fan of the original, I put in the Kickstarter from the beginning. This game has had a long and hard development. They got plenty of money and actually tried to take their own more creative direction with it - it wasn't what the fans wanted. We wanted a remake of the original, pure and simple. They ended up putting the project on hold for a while.

After playing the most recent demo, I was very impressed. It's all I could have hoped for and if the rest of the game is this good I'm very happy.

The 2016 demo was more of a simple development demo to show what they wanted to do. It was built on unity where the current version is using UE4....hard to compare. It was very unfinished but got the intent across.

Can't wait to give this one a go! Unfortunately my steam key is lost in purgatory.... waiting for them to get back to me about that.
the latest demo is pretty solid, and lots of gametime

at least a few hours maybe

yea you're right it is Unreal Engine, loaded it up to check

1685407129324.png

the latest demo is pretty solid, and lots of gametime

at least a few hours maybe

yea you're right it is Unreal Engine, loaded it up to check

View attachment 573380
They switched mid development which ruffled a few feathers. Initially lost a lot of the dark and gritty atmosphere and they had to go back and fix that. Thankfully these guys have been very good at listening to their backers.

I'm not putting any stock in the 80% review, these guys went to great lengths to deliver what their backers wanted.

Back