System Powers off immediately: Help!

Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
50
Hey all...

I have a Asus Striker Extreme, E6600, 8800GTX single and so far the only things I have hooked in are a raptor hard drive and MCP655 pump.

I am working with a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W and haven't had much luck. The MB has power but when I go to power up the system starts for about a second and then "trips" off taking me back to MB only power.

I have swapped this unit out for a 600W from Antec and it works fine. Now the Thermaltake is a nice modular unit and will support upgrades as well as the 2 DVD's and total of 3 HD's I will be running. I would like to keep the Thermaltake but at this point am not sure if it is a bad PSU or I am just missing something .... not enough power on a rail etc.

Anyone have any experience here or suggestions on what I could try to get this PSU to gimme what I need?

Thanks in advance.
 
Yah...

Have the 8 pin on the MB hooked up and two PCIe power cables to the GPU.

Like I said it runs fine on the other PSU but for whatever reason doesn't stay up on the 850
I thought it might be short in the GPU at first as I was getting the system up but no video for a bit. I also subbed in another PCIe card (although one that didn't require additional power) and no go with the 850. Everything again worked fine with the Antec though.

Scratches head.

I can RMA the PSU but want to make sure first that I am not just missing something.
 
have u tried running all the parts outside the case?
something might be shorting everything out?
 
If that is the situation wouldn't the two other PSU's I have tried also have that problem? Pulling everything out would be a real pain with a water cooling system set up. Doable but alot of work if this isn't a likely scenario.
 
If that is the situation wouldn't the two other PSU's I have tried also have that problem? Pulling everything out would be a real pain with a water cooling system set up. Doable but alot of work if this isn't a likely scenario.

RMA that sucker if your computer works with 2 other power supplies.
 
Back
Top