system hardware question

nomak

Limp Gawd
Im currently in need of a new work computer for our design dept.. we are running unigraphics NX4 high end design software for those who arent familiar with it.. the currnet computer that has died mobo im thinking..is consisted of the following components..

dual processor setup...

1 D7590 Processor, 80546K, 3.0G, 1M, Xeon Nocona, 800, E0
1 F6537 INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE TO PWA T0892, LADDER WITH 5R/2R CIRCUITS...
1 D7590 Processor, 80546K, 3.0G, 1M, Xeon Nocona, 800, E0
1 H2703 Card, Voltage Regulator Module Controller, 10.1
2 H2084 Dual In-Line Memory Module 512, 400M, 32X72, 8, 240, 2RX8
1 W3004 Hard Drive, 80GB, 7.2K, 8MEG Serial ATA, SeaGate-Alpine
1 C6355 Assembly, Cable, Serial ATA Transformer Sky Dive Mini Tower, 2.0

these are the main components that drive this system or use too... with all the new upgrades in processers and what not and I havent kept up with the technology for a few yrs Im needing advice on whats comparable and faster than what we were using which worked good for our needs..
mainly wanting dual processers again more memory this time and sata hdd and a good video card for this machine as well... any info is much appreciared but my main concern is the processor speed and power.. need something at least comparable to what we had hoping for something better if it can be budgeted... also looking into intel technology for the processors..

thanks a million..

a budget would probably be helpful. if you can get by with a modern quad-core that'd save you a load of dough over a dual-processor system.

lets 3,000.00 or so for a budget... we spent 3500 or so last time but 8 yrs ago u couldnt get what u can to day.. thats why im looking for some input on the matter..and definately would go with a quad core processor if it can perform as well or better than the dual core setup we had before. because I honestly dont think the design software we use utilizes the dual processors.. thanks..

Just about any dual-core CPU will out perform that old dual Xeon CPU (which are basically Pentium 4 CPUs with 64bit extensions IIRC) setup you have now. So a single quad-core CPU will definitely outperform that setup.

Since this is for a business, I recommend hitting up Dell or HP for a new PC with a warranty.

Get another Dell. It sounds like you had a Precision Workstation, which is a good choice. Any config of a Precision would outperform that old system. A single 1.8Ghz Core2Duo CPU would outperform a dual CPU Xeon 3.0Ghz Nocona. ;) Also, the Precision should only cost you around $1200 - $2000, decked out.

Back