System failure diagnosis/upgrade question

Crash250f

Gawd
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
640
My problem is simply that my computer locks up in games. It does so fairly inconsistently as I will sometimes crash within 10 minutes of loading a game, restart, and crash after 10 minutes again. Sometimes i'll play all day without crashing, but that doesn't happen often anymore. When I crash it is a hard lockup. The screen freezes at the last frame and I usually get an annoying repetitive sound that I can't really describe other than saying it's what you'd expect from a computer locking up. I've only ever crashed while I've had a game running such as Oblivion, BFBC2, Dragon Age, and even SC2, though for some reason, never League of Legends. I have had it scare me a couple times outside of a game by stuttering and giving me that sound real quick, but it has always recovered.

Anyways, 3-6 months ago (ya, my timeline is really vague here but I don't think it matters in the end) my vid card was having some problems, eventually refusing to work at startup, so I baked it according to the famous thread in the vid card section, and it worked again. When I started having these crashing problems some point between then and a month ago, I figured it was definitely the vid card. Well I drove out to a friends house yesterday to pick up his old 8800gt as a replacement, expecting that to be the solution, and when I plugged it in and tested it, it crashes just as fast.

From there I tried a buncha random things such as driver sweeper, different cables, blowing dust out of the PCI slot. Nothing worked, so I started thinking it may be the motherboard/CPU. I'm running my AMD 64 x2 6400+ at stock with stock cooling, and never seriously tried OCing it. So I picked up the Intel Burn Test, which I guess is fine for anything x86/x64, and ran that. After completing 1/5 of the tests, my system locks up with both cores at 95c+. I know...scary. I could almost use my cpu to boil water. So I'm thinking that might have something to do with the crashing, since I really haven't been running anything CPU intensive other than games. Other info that might be important: CPU runs at a bit under 50c idle, and I've run memtest fairly recently without any failures.

What do you guys think?

Assuming there is something wrong with my mobo/cpu, I was thinking of trying to get my hands on a used LGA 775 mobo + q6600 in the FS forum. I've got about $200 to work with, but I could go up to $300 if it would get me something substantially better. Any suggestions there? I'm kinda looking forward to the upgrade even though I had been hoping to save for an I7. I'll have to cancel my order for an Auzentech forte though, which I've been wanting for a long time.

Any help is appreciated.
 
What's the full specs of your PC? including the PSU.
 
Sorry, should have mentioned the PSU but I don't think it's the problem. You didn't know I wasn't using a cheap/underpowered one though, so I'll just list everything out.

PSU: Corsair HX 620w
CPU: AMD 64 x2 6400+
Mobo: Foxconn 590SLI (latest bios I believe)
Video: 8800gt (latest drivers)
RAM: 4x1gb corsair xms2
HDD: 2x 7200rpm sata drives
OS: Win7 x64 Professional
Case: Thermaltake Armor (decent airflow)
Other: Intel NIC, 1x DVD drive

I think that about covers it.

That whole 90c CPU temp really bothers me, so I took it off and redid the thermal paste. The old job I did looked like a mess, and I was a bit clumsy with the new application. I'm idling at about 50c here with just this window open and not much in the background. That seems a bit high (and 94c seems ridiculously high). Could it be that I'm just that bad at applying thermal paste? I guess it's not so much that as it is putting the heatsink on without having to wiggle the whole thing around 100x to lock it in. There appears to be a decent amount of dust under the fan on the heatsink, on top of the aluminum fins, but I couldnt find a way to separate the fan from the heatsink, so that's tough to clean. I guess I'll see what I can do. For reference I google image searched for my heatsink and this is what it looks like: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-reinvents,1258-17.html
 
Make sure that the HSF was cleaned out.

Also, make absolutely sure that your airflow layout is solid.
 
Well I hate to be that guy, but I can barely get it over 70c even with the intel burn test after a thorough heatsink cleaning and better thermal paste application. In my defense, my case has been fairly dust free compared to my 8 year old dell that my parents are using now, and that thing has never had a problem. My case has far better airflow too. I guess that thing just doesn't generate heat like this processor does.

Anyways, to salvage some information out of this thread, I'd still be interested in hearing MB/CPU upgrade suggestions for around $200-$300, as this CPU can pretty much be considered outdated. I was looking at some benchmarks and it frustrates me a bit how much of a difference there seems to be between a q6600 and an i7 920. If it wasn't for having to buy ddr3, the i7 would probably be a possibility, and for some reason I don't like the idea of LGA 1156. I think it's because I would either want the "real deal" i7, or a temporary solution until I can get it. I also don't know to much about the newer AMDs in that price range and how they compare.
 
From a price to performance perspective, AMD's CPUs are significantly better than their Intel C2D/C2Q counterparts.

$200 budget:
$205 - AMD Phenom II X4 925 CPU + MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard Combo

$300 budget:
$275 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU + MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard Combo

You can reuse the DDR2 RAM from your current setup.
 
From a price to performance perspective, AMD's CPUs are significantly better than their Intel C2D/C2Q counterparts.

$200 budget:
$205 - AMD Phenom II X4 925 CPU + MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard Combo

$300 budget:
$275 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU + MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard Combo

You can reuse the DDR2 RAM from your current setup.

I agree with these suggestions. Especially since Socket 775 is now a "dead-end" socket, with no new worthwhile CPUs coming out for that socket for the remainder of its production life. And the only reason why Socket 775 CPUs continue to be produced is that there is a glut of compatible motherboards in the channels and in use.
 
Good stuff. I had a feeling AMD was the way to go if I wasn't going to go with an I7 but I haven't looked at what they were offering in detail for well over a year. Thanks for the help.
 
Back
Top