• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Syntax 27" LCD TV [56k warning]

IQJUMPuw

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
502
Hey guys

I just got a Syntax Olevia 27" LCD HD-Ready TV and hooked it up in my room. I was going to get a Dell 2405FPW, but I got very lucky and managed to get this brand new TV for $400 cash. Everything works fine but I had a question. It says the TV has a maximum resolution of 1366x720 but it wouldn't let me go that high. It only goes up to 1280x1024 (I have it setup at 1280x720 right now). Is there anyway to fix this problem or is it my video card? I am using DVI connection through ATi Radeon 9800.

DSCN0821.jpg


DSCN0823.jpg


I must say, even though it is pretty dang sweet, low resolution is making me think about getting a Dell 2405FPW. I can always sell this monitor for more than what I paid for. What do you guys think?

CompUSA is having a 1-day President's sale on the Syntax 26" LCD TV for $500 after $200 mail-in-rebate if you guys are interested in something similar.
 
From what I've heard and seen, these monitors are generally not very good. However, for under $400 it's not bad. If it were me, I'd use it as a secondary monitor when watching movies (and when high resolution is not needed) and use a 2005FPW for everything else.
 
IQJUMPuw said:
It says the TV has a maximum resolution of 1366x768 but it wouldn't let me go that high. It only goes up to 1280x1024 (I have it setup at 1280x720 right now). Is there anyway to fix this problem or is it my video card? I am using DVI connection through ATi Radeon 9800.

Is "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checked in advanced 9800 Pro properties?

I have two 26" syntax and i like them
 
needmorecarnitine said:
Is "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checked in advanced 9800 Pro properties?

I have two 26" syntax and i like them

If I uncheck that box, it lets me select 1360x768, 1360x1024, 1440x900, etc., but no 1366x720. What gives? What resolution are you running your 26" at? The pictures look great. I think it's a great looking TV for what it's worth. Even if you pay the retail price of $700. Of course, it won't compare to other brand names like Samsung, LG, or Sony's 27" LCD TV's that costs well over $1000, but it looks amazing.
 
I got this one too - great monitor - games are beautiful but 1280 x 1024 is the max. You get a higher res thru video card if you uncheck hide resolutions the monitor supports on your videocard driver panel but it is not really going higher - just stretching 1280 x 1024 and nothing will run (games or movies) at higher than the max.


IQJUMPuw said:
If I uncheck that box, it lets me select 1360x768, 1360x1024, 1440x900, etc., but no 1366x720. What gives? What resolution are you running your 26" at? The pictures look great. I think it's a great looking TV for what it's worth. Even if you pay the retail price of $700. Of course, it won't compare to other brand names like Samsung, LG, or Sony's 27" LCD TV's that costs well over $1000, but it looks amazing.
 
You can go in and make a custom rez with the nvidia or ati drivers. Nvidia for sure. Just put in the rez and add that mode. You will get a warning that you will need to click out of. Once you do that. You're good to go . . .. .. .. . or SHOULD be .... I've had a lot of trouble with getting LCDTV's to get into their max rez.


The Westy 37" I have works awesome @ 1920 x 1080
 
Yeah, I got the 26" syntax LT26HVX this weekend.

PC games are great on it, but the PC resolution tops out at 1360x768. So if you can live with that screen rez for PC apps you will love it.

The 360 is great on this also. Black levels are good (not great) no motion blur noticible, and the colors are rich and vibrant.

The only bad part is fussing with the settings all the time. The 1360x768 is not a plug and play rez so you have to manually set it EVERY time you boot the machine, and sometimes when switching between sources or apps.

All in all this is an excellent XBOX 360 screen, good pc gaming screen, and a bad pc monitor.
 
IQJUMPuw said:
If I uncheck that box, it lets me select 1360x768, 1360x1024, 1440x900, etc., but no 1366x720. What gives? What resolution are you running your 26" at? The pictures look great. I think it's a great looking TV for what it's worth. Even if you pay the retail price of $700. Of course, it won't compare to other brand names like Samsung, LG, or Sony's 27" LCD TV's that costs well over $1000, but it looks amazing.

I think the numbers have to be divisble by 8 unless you have certain cards like ATis X1800

That gives you 1360 and 1368. You can make a custom resolution like 1368x768 with software like Rivatuner. I haven't done that yet but supposedly it will only cut off one pixel from each side (losing two and using your full 1366 width). The hvx is set up at 1360 currently and just using nvidia basic driver. Will mess around with it later.

My HVE has a 1280x768 native and that is a standard option in the ATi drivers.
 
apcor said:
I got this one too - great monitor - games are beautiful but 1280 x 1024 is the max. You get a higher res thru video card if you uncheck hide resolutions the monitor supports on your videocard driver panel but it is not really going higher - just stretching 1280 x 1024 and nothing will run (games or movies) at higher than the max.

you need to learn to run it at Native.

There is a pretty big difference in how it looks. Games may not look way better but text will
 
Back
Top