• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sygate Firewall to disapear? >=|

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Messages
6,558
Wow... look at Hardocp front page. Im personally kinda angry, I love Sygate Personal Firewall PRO. Ive been using it for like the last 2ish years. Are there any comparable Firewalls? Everyone tells me to try Zonealarm, I dont really like it though.

Anyone else angry about the dumping of SPFP?
 
Tengis said:
Anyone else angry about the dumping of SPFP?

couldnt you tell? :p

Im even more pissed about Kerio, just what the world needs fewer free firewalls :rolleyes:
 
I liked Sygate, but not as much as I loved Kerio. Sad to see both are (or will be) gone. I'm not a big fan of ZA myself either, so now I just use the Windows SP2 one and rely on my router, or shorewall/iptables in Linux (which I'm still learning how to use).
 
I love SPFP though, it works really well. Is there any comparable firewall besides Zonealarm? Zonealarm < easy bake oven.
 
Been expecting that since Symantec took over... Can't have free stuff getting in the way of them selling you stuff.. Good strategy really, buy company, rape it's code for your own products, then abandon like a cheap whore on the side of the road.. Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last..
 
consolidate all opposition and then fall victim to pissed off open source code jockeys :p
 
=( Poor Sygate... Im going to have to use bologna rinds and fan filters as my new firewall of choice.
 
Yeah this sucks, but really does it matter that much to me that much. It just sucks for new users that will never know what a great firewall this was.

But I will continue to use v5.5 until the day comes that it has bugs up the wazoo, becomes incompatible with my OS or a better firewall comes along. Till then... who is stopping you from using it?

BTW since sygate has been drugged, raped and dumped does this mean that the retail version of the firewall is now free errr...? Or not free but no one will really care what you do with it?
 
KoolDrew said:
There are really no security related reasons to use anything other then the Windows SP2 firewall.

I dont like the sp2 firewall.
 
KoolDrew said:
There are really no security related reasons to use anything other then the Windows SP2 firewall.
cept for the fact that the SP2 firewall will do nothing to stop any good or bad App from phoning home from your PC.
 
Immutable Law of Security #1 is if a bad guy can persuade you to run his program on your computer, it's not your computer anymore. An outbound filtering firewall does not help security at the host-level. If malicious code gets on your system the possibility exists for it to do whatever it wants, with or without your knowledge.
 
KoolDrew said:
Immutable Law of Security #1 is if a bad guy can persuade you to run his program on your computer, it's not your computer anymore. An outbound filtering firewall does not help security at the host-level. If malicious code gets on your system the possibility exists for it to do whatever it wants, with or without your knowledge.

That may be so, but there are plenty of 'non-malicious' programs that have phone home mechanisms but have no good reason to do it other than reporting information to the maker and they don't even tell you that the program does it, unless they bury it somewhere in the EULA as a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo such that you cannot even tell they are talking about such mechanisms. These programs are almost certainly not designed to evade host firewalls and thus can be blocked by them.
 
Geshtar said:
That may be so, but there are plenty of 'non-malicious' programs that have phone home mechanisms but have no good reason to do it other than reporting information to the maker and they don't even tell you that the program does it, unless they bury it somewhere in the EULA as a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo such that you cannot even tell they are talking about such mechanisms. These programs are almost certainly not designed to evade host firewalls and thus can be blocked by them.

LOTS of programs have phone home mechanisms... and I hate it. Ide say 50% of the stuff I use on a daily basis attempts to connect up somewhere.
 
Gentlemen,

Now is the time to burn a CD of the firewall you like. Just because they won't be around it doesn't mean that existing versions won't work. I prefer an old version of Kerio, so I make certain that I have backup copies.

SP2 firewall? Who's gonna block the MS stuff from phoning home? No thanks. I'll stick with Kerio 2.1.5. :)
 
mosin said:
Gentlemen,

Now is the time to burn a CD of the firewall you like. Just because they won't be around it doesn't mean that existing versions won't work. I prefer an old version of Kerio, so I make certain that I have backup copies.

SP2 firewall? Who's gonna block the MS stuff from phoning home? No thanks. I'll stick with Kerio 2.1.5. :)

Kerio 2.1.5 here also. It's been around for a while but it still works. It's scary the amount of stuff that likes to "phone home". Between Kerio, router firewall and safe browsing habits I feel somewhat secure. Nothing is totally secure but I like something a little more robust and configurable than the SP2 firewall.

 
SmokeRngs said:
Kerio 2.1.5 here


kerio.jpg


;)
 
Back
Top