Sycthe Gentle Typhoon: not much difference between AP-15 and AP-14

yenniedn

2[H]4U
I've been using Noctua P12's for the last couple of years and loved them. My new SB motherboard wouldn't play nice with my standard Prolimatech MegaShadow w/ P12 push/pull setup so I had to ditch it and get a Corsair H70. The stock Corsair fans were too loud at normal speed and not good coolers on low speed. Tried the good ol' P12's on the H70 and it was nice and quiet as usual but I wondered if I could get better cooling with some new blood.

So I got some Scythe GT AP-14's - that dropped the temsp about 1-2* from the P12's. But a lot of people have been touting the AP-15's as the best 120mm so I had to see what the difference would be.

I was disappointed to find out that both the idle and load temps between the AP-14 and AP-15's were almost identical! I got a good deal on the AP-14's and should've just stopped there. But my curiosity made me go out and pick up some AP-15's locally only to find that the only thing that changed is that my computer is LOUDER now!?!?!? With either fan, my 2600K @ 4.8GHz and 1.375v idles right around 30* and Prime95 maxes out at 80.

I thought the AP-15's were supposed to drop the temps at least a couple of degrees? What the heck? Did anyone else do the same comparison and, if so, what were your results?

I think I'm going to put the AP-14's back on the H70 tomorrow!

I seen some comparative reviews between the A14 and the A15 is about 1-2C difference at best, to push through radiator you better off getting the San Ace H101 which equivalent to A15 push-pull performance.

Which setting did you have your NF-P12s on? I have them in the middle setting (I think the back resistor).

Which setting did you have your NF-P12s on? I have them in the middle setting (I think the back resistor).

I use them at full speed without any of the resistors. They're so quiet to me they don't need to be undervolted any further. I do love them but have used them for a couple of years now and wanted to try something new. The funky color has never bothered me but they just didn't look right on the H70, especially contrasting against the red interior of my FT02.

Interesting. It really depends on how much the additional airflow can help reduce the fin temps. If the air is still at the same temp no matter what the speed is, I guess it would not make any temperature difference...

Yeah, running any of my GTAP15 at ~1400 RPM (via BIOS) vs 1850RPM has done nothing to my H50/i7 930 & i7 920 temps, but it has reduced noise a lot... I guess it increases the static pressure? I dunno :p

Back