• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Swype Text Input for Screens.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,531
I know a lot of our readers have been moving to Android based smart phones. Swype is a new way to enter text input for your touchscreen phone. I got on the BETA with my EVO and I love it. I think you will too, that being the reason for this news post. The BETA has been closed for now. :( But stay on the lookout for it when the tech rolls out. Here is a video to show you what it is about.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-I7dbisCRuM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-I7dbisCRuM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
 
Last edited:
I want. I have signed up twice when the beta was open. Have yet to get in.
 
This is a glorious program for smart phones with large touchscreens. I have used it on various android phones and currently have a re-skinned red version of it on my Incredible..
 
Yep, this is my must-have android application for anyone that is using an android phone without a physical keyboard.

Been using it since January or so, it's brilliant.
 
I've been following it for a while but was just to lazy to adopt untill today. I go on their website and try to dl it to my INC and it says that the beta is closed =\.
 
This is supposedly going to be on all of the variants of the Galaxy S being released soon.
 
I'm impressed actually. I have very little use for smartphones, other than exchange...but I'm liking the idea of this.

OT: Not a very nice day to be out in Gasworks Park though!
 
That blonde chick needs to spit out her gum........"like geezzzzzzzzzz stop it.......":eek:

So the program recalls patterns = words??

Looks cool for those with touch keyboards.

But..........."will it work on my iphonze?"
 
That blonde chick needs to spit out her gum........"like geezzzzzzzzzz stop it.......":eek:

So the program recalls patterns = words??

Looks cool for those with touch keyboards.

But..........."will it work on my iphonze?"

Typical ifone user.....you have to pay attention, not just to what Steve Jobs tells you to jump off of. (Just effin wit ya! :D)

Yeppers, you "trace" the words instead of "tap" them.

No for iFone so far. :(
 
Yep I been using it for a couple weeks now and its been awesome. Highly recommend it for any Android user, you will love it.
 
closed beta people who "have not gotten in" try logging into the site using the info and then....click on the resend me invite email , i signed up, no email, waited a day, no email, went back to the site and clicked resend and got the email, then installed it.

Works great, and you can add any word you want to the dictionary.
 
Swype is awesome. I can swype faster with a single hand than I can type with both hands.
 
I want the Windows Mobile version for my Omnia II.

(Note: the Canadian HSPA version on Bell doesn't come with it, but the CDMA Verizon one does).
 
It's like the basic t9 input but with a full wasd keyboard now.. nothing too incredible. I'm going to bet that there are a decent number of different word combos that are interchangeable so i don't expect 100% with this. I haven't used it though so let me know if I'm wrong.
 
I've actually had this on my Pure for a couple months now... tried it out once back when I first got it and couldn't get the hang of it. But just tried it out again and I seem to be catching on.
 
this app works great. i got in the beta and it works flawlessly on my htc incredible. im also surprised how well it works when you swype long words.
 
Works great, and you can add any word you want to the dictionary.

A few of us have had a rolling joke for a week now because when you would try to swype "douchebag" you would get "Cavendish." Finally got off our lazy asses last night and looked up the meaning.... But yeah, just type in the word you want put into the dictionary and then space and it adds it automatically.
 
It's like the basic t9 input but with a full wasd keyboard now.. nothing too incredible. I'm going to bet that there are a decent number of different word combos that are interchangeable so i don't expect 100% with this. I haven't used it though so let me know if I'm wrong.


It learns to be better with prediction the longer you use it. But if it does not know for sure what you just swyped, it will give you alternatives. Usually the first alternative is what I want, and if so you just keep swyping like nothing happened.

Check out the tips and tricks videos they have on site, very informative.
 
Swype is awesome. I can swype faster with a single hand than I can type with both hands.

Absolutely. I fat finger the keys anyway terribly in portrait mode when tap typing...Swyping I just haul ass then clean it up at the end if I need to.
 
I <3 Swype on my Evo. But whenever I type "want" it assumes I mean "wasn't". Other than that, I love it.
 
I <3 Swype on my Evo. But whenever I type "want" it assumes I mean "wasn't". Other than that, I love it.


probably because one time it didnt understand what you put for want and you clicked wasn't in the alternate list so it memorized want as wasn't..
 
I've had swype on mytouch since i got it. Thought it was fun at first but after realizing that it didn't do anything like a proper name well, adding is so damn slow, and when it gets a word wrong backing up is a pain. I always found myself ahead of the swype (although this phone is a little slow) so i went back to tap. I can two finger tap text and four finger type way faster than i can swype. It is fun though and one fingered is the way to go, just not the way i use my phone.
 
A friend of mine at work has this on his EVO and he let me try it out. I have to say I was floored with how quick it is. I thought it would "take some getting used to" but it doesn't. It's very much a pickup-and-go application. I'm looking forward to using it as my new input method instead of the physical keyboard on my soon to be retired hardware.
 
I've had swype on mytouch since i got it. Thought it was fun at first but after realizing that it didn't do anything like a proper name well, adding is so damn slow, and when it gets a word wrong backing up is a pain. I always found myself ahead of the swype (although this phone is a little slow) so i went back to tap. I can two finger tap text and four finger type way faster than i can swype. It is fun though and one fingered is the way to go, just not the way i use my phone.


Adding ANY word or name is as easy as touch typing it once, so no issues there. But yeah, if you were getting ahead of it, I would say it was eating up too many CPU cycles on that phone. 1GHz Snapdragon to the rescue. :) Mine is only as slow as your fingers.
 
Swype came preinstalled on my HD2 it took a little getting used to but I love it now.
 
I will definitely be trying out swype tomorrow on my new Droid X. I've seen how fast people can text with it.
 
I'm in the closed beta. I have it installed on my Garminfone. It is marvelous. I will never, by choice, use a phone without it. It is SO much faster than a physical keyboard on a phone and easily trumps on screen keyboards, as well.

Truly five out of five stars.

Soon, we won't have to rely on closed betas. OEM's are building it into their phones and the app appears to be going up on Android Market at some point.
 
I tried something like this on my friends droid phone he got. It's interesting, I kept stopping to hit the space icon because of the usual tap typing. lol.

The main question is, "How well does it work when driving and texting?" Hehe
 
Tried it, don't like it.

I'll stick with Smart Keyboard Pro or the HTC keyboard. I'd rather spam away with two fingers and let autocorrect take care of the rest.

Swyping just takes too much time to move my single finger. And on some screens, the coefficient of drag is REALLY high (my finger is a lot harder to "swipe" the screen).
 
Addicted, and have been for MONTHS.

Love the beta, can't wait to see what full changes ;)

Way to front page it kyle. :D
 
Came bundled with my HD2, love it. Works like a charm.

Read somewhere that you can swype up to 60 words/minute.
 
I've been using swype on my TP2 energy rom build for a long time now. It's a great piece of software. Everyone I've shown it to is like woah!!!, and then I'm like woah!!!, and then they are like WOAH!!!

I'm cool like that. :D
 
Wait, so you have to lift your finger for it to enter the word?

I couldn't just drag a line to the space, and it keeps on going. That way i would never have to lift a finger...would be real fast, although I'm pretty fast as is on my Motorola Droid...
 
I want! Hope they get something like this on the iPhone soon.

I'm sure Apple will add it onto their keyboard and say they invented it. Then again adding it onto their keyboard would be admitting their product wasn't perfect, so probably not.
 
Back
Top