Switchers: Where are you now?

I'm sure some of you were here were hardcore windows users at some point, then recently decided to switch. How has it been? Are there things you miss? Have you learned to cope with only having one mouse button? What were the issues that came up that you weren't expecting? Would you recommend it to others?

I switched just under a month ago. I'm in love with OS X and I hate XP now, and I even dislike Vista RC2.

I had no trouble finding software to do all my usual PC tasks and get this, it has all been for free so far, open source stuff. I paid for Office 2004, Parallels, .mac, iWork '06, and 2 games. Plus besides it having a lower powered graphics card (by a lot), this MacBook is actually more powerful than my desktop... which kind of makes me sad and happy at the same time. I use Parallels to run windows for my CSCI class with which we use Visual Studio '05, and it runs just fine. I'm trying to get to know XCode better but I'm used to the VS interface style and I have no problem popping into windows on a whim.

I've got my temperatures in my main top bar. A multiple desktop application which was free (VirtueDesktops), I can format HD's left and right (<3 you DiskUtility, why can't Windows have you for free too?), my iPod and iTunes integration feels better, and the overall useability of OS X and Mac in general is MUCH better than I've ever had using XP (and now Vista RC2).

Things I miss on my desktop that I don't have on my laptop? DVD-DL recording, but really, I can just network it to my desktop and burn it a few minutes later if I have to, so what. Umm, multiple channel audio (I have a 5.1 speaker set for my desktop). And umm, what else... oh yeah... nothing.

Updates are much more simple on OS X as well, and there is much less restarting.

I'm used to having to reinstall windows often or at least when I feel a clean slate would be nice or something. I have no such inclination with OS X. I did however re-install when I got it in my hands after installing my 2GB of memory and to be able to remove some languages and applications from the install that saved me some HDD space.

It's a bit of an unfair comparison to do PC desktop vs Mac laptop, but I really like my laptop better.

I still own (but no longer use) a year 2003 Alienware Area-51m laptop based on a desktop P4 2.53 ghz processor, 512mb of pc2700, and a radeon 9000 64meg. That display was 4:3 and 1600x1200, but that laptop also weighed 11lbs and had about a 2 hour battery life while using both batteries in normal windows usage. This MacBook is a HUGE upgrade from that. That other laptop has better graphics however, but I don't game on my macbook, well Warcraft 3 and some light Halo, but otherwise I have my SLI desktop for that.

Oh yeah, that Alienware cost me 2600$ at the time! I paid just above 1/2 that for my MacBook! Oh how times have changed! I like it, I like it a LOT!

I still retain all of my windows based knowledge and I fix a lot of problems on other peoples laptops in my dorm set, but I have yet to touch another persons MacBook, and there are a lot of them here (I have the only Black one however, woowee, special me!).

I feel MUCH more productive while using my MacBook than using my PC too. Everything just works so flawlessly in OS X.

I can't think of something I'm missing, so umm, let me know if you have any other questions about my switching.

I'd never even seen a mac in real life until last year when i bought an old G3 off ebay. that only wet my appetite. next was OSx86, now I'm running a Mac Pro. (see my thread here)

Things have only continued to improve. I think I need to do a fresh install just so that I can start *truly* fresh after I've gone through that whole learning transitional period. I think I'm still in that rut though so I'll worry about it when I feel pretty comfortable with the system. There's nothing I regret about the switch.

I switched about three months ago, and am now switching back to using XP as my main systems for both my laptop and my desktop im in the middle of researching to build. I put XP on my mac for a little bit, to see the difference it makes, and XP runs so much faster. It just felt alot snapper than OSX. Now, that isnt to say im abandoning OSX, Im going to use it for what it is extremely good at, and thats Movies/Music. Im trading my Macbook for an Acer with a bit better video card and larger screen, and buying a Mac Mini to plug into my LCD-TV in my dorm to run my Music/DVD collection off of. As well as my website, and will probably continue to do some lite video editing on it. OS X is great, but Microsoft still has the faster, and most compatible of the two OSs. (I have yet to truely play with Vista, im going to wait to do that until it comes out, I dont want to put a Beta on the desktop im going to be building sometime this month.)

switched to a MacBook Pro in June, and i'll be a Mac user from now on. i've found free Mac software to replace everything i used in XP. i do have bootcamp installed with XP Pro SP2, which i use maybe once a month to play a little HL2, but that's it. i love OSX.

also, if you look on this forum, you'll find the thread about the fan speed mod for the MacBooks/Pros and it turned my MacCook Pro into a MacBook Pro. it completely solved my one complaint about my laptop.

RaphaelVinceti said:
I switched about three months ago, and am now switching back to using XP as my main systems for both my laptop and my desktop im in the middle of researching to build. I put XP on my mac for a little bit, to see the difference it makes, and XP runs so much faster. It just felt alot snapper than OSX. Now, that isnt to say im abandoning OSX, Im going to use it for what it is extremely good at, and thats Movies/Music. Im trading my Macbook for an Acer with a bit better video card and larger screen, and buying a Mac Mini to plug into my LCD-TV in my dorm to run my Music/DVD collection off of. As well as my website, and will probably continue to do some lite video editing on it. OS X is great, but Microsoft still has the faster, and most compatible of the two OSs. (I have yet to truely play with Vista, im going to wait to do that until it comes out, I dont want to put a Beta on the desktop im going to be building sometime this month.)

Interesting about how you find XP faster than OS X, I've found that OS X is much faster than anything I've thrown at XP lately and I know if Mac had a real gme following that Windows has, then I'd rather use a Mac for gaming than a PC, the possibility of stronger optimization based on the vendors control of the hardware makes me happy inside.

I know OS X is quite a bit more prone to needing more memory than XP does for doing basic tasks, and I know that my roommates MacBook with 512 compared to mine with 2GB is no contest, and OS X makes really good use of the extra memory too, it controls it much better than XP ever has and so far as Vista will continue to.

I'd like to know what you find faster in XP than in OS X though, what you're doing that puts XP on top.

I've been using PCs since I was 3 and my dad brought home a retired 286 server (that had been replaced with a brand new 386) from work and put it on the floor in my room. I used Macs occasionally throughout grade school (my 1st Grade classroom had an Apple IIe, and I learned to type on an Apple IIGS) and hated every minute of it (except when I was playing Bolo over AppleTalk with my friends).

In 1997, we got a Macintosh Quadra (again, retitred from my dad's employer) and I began using it for recording my friends singing stupid Weird Al-esque songs and playing DinoPark Tycoon. I continued to use Windows for everything else. In 2001, I got a chance to use Mac OS 10.1 for awhile and was impressed with how far the OS had come (I had never used OS 9) and the radical changes it had gone though. I was "wowed" but it certainly wasn't enough to make me replace my PC or the aging Quadra.

In 2005, when Apple's plans to switch to the Intel architecture were announced, I was finally interested in the platform as a whole. I became an early pioneer in the OSx86 Community and made the front page of NeoWin (and other, less notable sites) for my "Hackintosh", a sub-$200 hardware configuration that fully supported Mac OSx86. After a few months, my fame faded and I became disinterested in the "scene" and the problems that still plagued the emerging OS. I bought a used G4 Sawtooth from a school computer sale for $50 and used it as my primary web development machine.

In the summer of 2006, I was accepted to transfer from my community college (where I had attended for 4 years) to Michigan State University and I made plans to purchase a new computer. I parted out my desktop (a P4 630 w/ X1800XT) and used the G4 fulltime for about a month until my parents purchased me this MacBook Pro as a "graduation" gift. This month marks my 3rd month as a fulltime Mac user, and I love it. I'd never go back to using a Windows PC fulltime. This OS has software for everything I need to do to be productive and the environment helps me work more efficiently and get things done faster so I have more time to spend away from the computer. :)

4 months now with my macbook coming from windows all my life. I will go back to windows to game when I build my gaming computer someday, but for everything else... mac os x is the way to go.

i switched when macbook get out and by far i real like it and im much like the first replyer
every on screen animations (ie the fade in/out worked smoother than my PC which is amd 3800+ 1G ram and 6800GT i really cant believe it!

however i kind do not like the feeling of the mouse in osx, not the one button track pad, but external mouses, i v tryed so far mx1000 BT, MX evolution, wired/wireless mighty mouse, they all feel strange to me

bought a mini when they came out in April '05, upgraded to a 2GHz iMac in May '05, bought a MacBook the day they came out and bought my MacPro the day of launch.

/sold the mini to get the iMac
//still have all the others
///plus a G3 and G4 PowerMac
////and a G4 PowerBook
////yes I have issues

Me loves the crack!

switched from PC user forever to a mac in august....I'm never looking back. I love OS X....can't stand to use clunky windows any more....

Anxiously awaiting my first mac, a macbook, which should be arriving later this month (ordering on monday). I plan on holding on to my PC for quite some time as I just built it a few months ago, and I built it to last.

First off, I've been working with Macs full time, new and used, since December of '03. I was actually volunteering at the local grade school for about 3 months before this working with G3 iMacs and iBooks. I never liked the iBooks, iMacs, or eMacs because they're a pain in the ass to work on. The G5 and newer iMacs are great and the MacBooks are pretty simple compared to the G3/G4 iBooks. I couldn't even express how glad I am that Apple killed the eMac. :eek:

I bought a used 12" 1GHz G4 Powerbook in July or August of '05 because I needed a portable. I built a Dual Core A64 setup in May this year so I could play a few games when I felt the urge, but OSX has ruined me. I sold the 12" Powerbook and most of my A64 setup and bought a 15.4" MacBook Pro last week. Should fill both roles fairly well.

I was a mac hater in grade school, and through half of college. one day i though to myself "why do i really hate these things, my hate really has no base to it.." then the mac mini came out and i decided to give OSX a try. that was over a year and a half ago.

2 weeks after getting my mac mini, i wanted more. a week later i had my shiney refurb powermac. i still have those two machines, and am at work now typing this on my mini. The powermac is starting to show its age however, and im thinking about getting a 17" refurb C2D iMac.

I still have my clawhammer winders box, i upgrade that to keep current for games. but when i get a c2d imac, that PC will go away and i can duel boot osx and windows.

oh and i never used that 1 button mouse......

I also hated Macs when I was in high school. They were running OS 7 at that time, and the computers we used were so unstable. I thought the sad mac face and the "death chime" were pretty funny. I wish they still did the death chime when they kernel panic...

OSX 10.3 and later is great and was the reason I needed to switch.

I got mine back in June this year right after the new core duo minis came out. At first, I had no idea what I was doing, but it was normal. After a day or two it felt like I've been a hardcore mac user my whole life, but i was always a mac hater before. I decided to switch after all the crashes and viruses and blue screens of death in the pc world, so i sold my gaming rig and got the mini (which cant really play games). I loved playing games, but I gave it up just to switch to mac cus its so awesome! I've had no problems with it and hopefully i'll be able to upgrade to something more powerful in the next year. Watch the crack, its addicting! ;)

I remember the old iMacs back in grade 4, and we would race to who would get the optical mouse that wasn't the puck, and would would have OS9.1 over OS9. OOOH

yeah, I hated those things. Still decided what the hell, and bought an iBook G3 off Ebay, then came the iBook G4 about 3 months later, and now, the Macbook. I plan on getting a Mac Pro sometime, and I don't need a PC anymore because of my 360.

DaCoOlNeSs said:
I remember the old iMacs back in grade 4, and we would race to who would get the optical mouse that wasn't the puck, and would would have OS9.1 over OS9. OOOH

I remember in 10th grade geometry we had this program we used to draw out shapes and stuff for proofs, etc. that was on old iMacs, and my friend and I used to always rush to get the ones with the non-cookie mouse (we thought that since pucks were from hockey that the mouses weren't worth calling pucks) and that had working headphone jacks, because we would listen to music.

I also remember that year the computer graphics department (went to a magnet school and CG was one of the "major" areas) upgraded to OS X and then had a hard time getting all thier apps working. Poor kids had to DRAW their HW for a month or two before they downgraded to OS 9.

Switched over almost 4 years ago, still love my Macs. I also have a new Alienware m5550 laptop I just bought for my gaming / rendering needs. Gotta love the Core 2 Duo :)

i made the switch to an intel mac mini just this past august, and i love the way it works, osx took a bit to get used to after using windows for years, but it is much nicer than windows. even tho i can't really play games on the mini, i use it for internet, email, music, and photos. i'm considering (ok, begging my wife :) ) a mac pro for christmas.

I may have bought 2 Macs in the past 18 months (one G4 Mini, one Intel MacBook Pro), but I most definitely have not switched. I guess you can call it "embracing the technology." My Windows boxes still serve their funcitons -- DVR, file server, gaming. The Macs have picked up the rest of the functions: email, web browsing, Photoshoppery, development, etc. My Macs and Windows boxes coexist peacefully.

Completely forget about my first comment. I made a fairly stupid mistake in compairing OS X to Windows XP.. I had upgraded the ram from 512 to 1gb just before putting XP on, and hadnt really played with OS X.. so It kinda felt faster on XP. Stupid me, not paying attention to everything I was compairing. OS X is much more stable, and It IS faster in opening and closing programs than windows (though my windows boot was a bit faster than the OS X boot, but thats not a big deal). I have since deleted the windows partition and gotten rid of bootcamp, I'll suffer through with poor game support and love every other feature about my mac. :)

I am planning on getting a 2.16ghz 24" iMac and an extra 20" screen so I can work on papers quicker, with more resources open at once. Though, is the 7600GT actually faster than the x1600? if it isnt, ill just get the 20" iMac, so i dont have to spend so much, and I can buy my girlfriend her MacBook.

RaphaelVinceti said:
Completely forget about my first comment. I made a fairly stupid mistake in compairing OS X to Windows XP.. I had upgraded the ram from 512 to 1gb just before putting XP on, and hadnt really played with OS X.. so It kinda felt faster on XP. Stupid me, not paying attention to everything I was compairing. OS X is much more stable, and It IS faster in opening and closing programs than windows (though my windows boot was a bit faster than the OS X boot, but thats not a big deal). I have since deleted the windows partition and gotten rid of bootcamp, I'll suffer through with poor game support and love every other feature about my mac. :)

I am planning on getting a 2.16ghz 24" iMac and an extra 20" screen so I can work on papers quicker, with more resources open at once. Though, is the 7600GT actually faster than the x1600? if it isnt, ill just get the 20" iMac, so i dont have to spend so much, and I can buy my girlfriend her MacBook.

That's what I thought! I knew something was amiss, XP faster than OS X, pfft.
The thing is you don't boot OS X as much as you boot XP, with XP your computer is on and off a lot, with OS X my computer is open and closed a lot, just sleep and awake, seemless, unlike what XP has to offer. It feels to me that OS X has a lot of lower level hardware controls that XP doesn't have.

Optional87 said:
That's what I thought! I knew something was amiss, XP faster than OS X, pfft.

hmmm......sorry but from my understanding osx feels snappier, meaning windows open quickly, a little bit of the apple magic, but from my understanding OSX is slower then XP.

But I guess I can compare for myself when I get a macbook pro.

I have spent alot of time going back and forth on windows and mac computers, kids at my college have issues all day long on the Xp laptops, and when they are nearly the same configuration as mine, when i have them all cleaned up, they still feel slower, less responsive.

As I Lay Dying said:
hmmm......sorry but from my understanding osx feels snappier, meaning windows open quickly, a little bit of the apple magic, but from my understanding OSX is slower then XP.

But I guess I can compare for myself when I get a macbook pro.

Can you explain what you mean by OS X being faster than XP when things in OS X happen faster than XP as you said yourself? That didn't really make sense to me.

I'm a Computer Graphics major. We use Macs in half of my classes. Mainly for 2D work. Any 3D work we use PC. Anywho. I feel comfortable on both really. I like some of the small features of Macs, but I'm not really inclined to buy one yet. As of now, it feels like it would be my secondary computer rather then my Primary. I only see myself doing CGT homework on it. And I dont need a secondary machine at this time.

What it really comes down to is, I dont see it being worth $2500 to buy a Mac to do things I can do on my PC perfectly fine. I'd rather spend the money on a PC upgrade and a 30inch Monitor for the extra real estate.

Maybe in a year or so I will be ready to purchase one and use it as a primary with my PC for gaming.

I'm going to keep this short.

I'm an I.T. Director for a real estate firm. Real Estate is still stuck in a Windows (and HIGHLY IE) centric universe.

However personally - I will never go back to owning a Windows machine. OS X is much more finished, polished and useful than Windows. For getting my core work done everything works great. I have Parallels running if I ever need windows (rare). My girlfriend recently got a MBP also and the kids have an iMac.

The agents at my office question my mac - one thing they ask is 'what about spyware and viruses' and I explain that (currently) its not a problem at all. However, I have one agent that decided to use Parallels and didn't realize that it didn't matter if it was running on a mac - they still got the install infested with crap.

Anyways - I don't plan on switching back anytime soon. The money was well spent considering the quality of the product. Blows most other manufacturers out of the water.

Yeah it's true I still use my PC for some things, and when I want a larger screen I use my PC, but if I got a mini-dvi to VGA/DVI adapter for my MacBook I would have almost no need to use my desktop at all.

For gaming I've been on my Consoles since the beginning of summer, I've found nothing even remotely close to the experience of console games and story on a PC and I don't think I ever will. So when I build a new PC I'm taking that into consideration and maxing up memory and going with a mid level graphics card and a nicer wide-screen LCD.

My Mac has lead me to figure out what I really use my computers for and how I've wasted my money with SLI and high graphics power that I have never put to use.

Optional87 said:
Can you explain what you mean by OS X being faster than XP when things in OS X happen faster than XP as you said yourself? That didn't really make sense to me.

well what I mean is this, that applications will pop up quicker, and seem to be snapper to the user (subjective things like that) but when you say take two games both available for osx and xp, xp will have faster framerates. Same hardware, for example on a macbook pro. Another thing I have read is osx is slower at creating threads. However that being said I imagine alot of people who use osx arent genetic matching. In benchmarks its slower, but people find it snappier then xp, or linux.

As I Lay Dying said:
well what I mean is this, that applications will pop up quicker, and seem to be snapper to the user (subjective things like that) but when you say take two games both available for osx and xp, xp will have faster framerates. Same hardware, for example on a macbook pro. Another thing I have read is osx is slower at creating threads. However that being said I imagine alot of people who use osx arent genetic matching. In benchmarks its slower, but people find it snappier then xp, or linux.

I tried to put my mind around this but I just could think of a way to respond.

OS X just works better and if it had the right kind of developer support in games than I'm sure it would be just as fast if not faster, actually probably faster as developers would know exactly what hardware their games would be running on. Leopard will make things even faster too.

If my Mac we're a desktop, my PC wouldn't get any use at all, as my Mac would get have an equivalent burner, graphics card, and monitor, and I'd still have the option to run BootCamp to run XP if I had the urge to game. I don't even game really, I don't know why I own my PC anymore besides it's 1TB of storage, 18x DVD burner, and 19" LCD screen. Basically, if I didn't have a nasty anime watching habbit that destroyed HDD space, I'd use my MacBook 100% of the time, and not just like 98% of the time.

Optional87 said:

OS X just works better and if it had the right kind of developer support in games than I'm sure it would be just as fast if not faster, actually probably faster as developers would know exactly what hardware their games would be running on. Leopard will make things even faster too.

If my Mac we're a desktop, my PC wouldn't get any use at all, as my Mac would get have an equivalent burner, graphics card, and monitor, and I'd still have the option to run BootCamp to run XP if I had the urge to game. I don't even game really, I don't know why I own my PC anymore besides it's 1TB of storage, 18x DVD burner, and 19" LCD screen. Basically, if I didn't have a nasty anime watching habbit that destroyed HDD space, I'd use my MacBook 100% of the time, and not just like 98% of the time.

That's what external drives are for :)

Optional87 said:

Well I plan on getting a macbook pro myself, and dual booting osx and linux. I have used osx, I myself still prefer linux over it, but its still a good operating system. But I cannot wait for a macbook pro, I am sure that when I am using osx I wont be benchmarking or genetic matching, to care if osx is slower then linux os windows, but prolly be impressed with how well it runs.

As I Lay Dying said:
Well I plan on getting a macbook pro myself, and dual booting osx and linux. I have used osx, I myself still prefer linux over it, but its still a good operating system. But I cannot wait for a macbook pro, I am sure that when I am using osx I wont be benchmarking or genetic matching, to care if osx is slower then linux os windows, but prolly be impressed with how well it runs.

Alright there we go, Linux vs OS X is a different story. I triple boot different operating systems on my desktop actually. WinXP SP2, Vista RC2, and Fedora Core 6 (Pre-release). But when I'm on my desktop I generally boot into Vista, XP, then Fedora in that order. I'm using Fedora more and more though because once I get it all set up with Compiz/XGL I think it will feel a lot more like OS X than either XP or Vista combined. Vista is cool yeah, but it's lacking in a lot of window management areas as does and has XP when compared to OS X. Linux is getting there with XGL/Compiz. So yeah, I use XP and Vista for ease of use because of complete driver support for my hardware and because I'm not a Linux junkie yet, I'm working on it though, I'll be using it for my Comp Sci major all the way through.

Appleseed said:
That's what external drives are for :)

I've got an external 160gb drive formatted 1/2 as HFS+ for backup of my Macbook, and 1/2 as Fat32 to share large amounts of files at a time with my MacBook and PC, otherwise I use a 1gig flash drive to move stuff in between.

External Burners are really expensive though... in my opinion anyway. I'll save up probably though, or find out a small set of external hardware and set up a plug system so I can slide my laptop in and out to use it as a desktop.

Optional87 said:
Alright there we go, Linux vs OS X is a different story. I triple boot different operating systems on my desktop actually. WinXP SP2, Vista RC2, and Fedora Core 6 (Pre-release). But when I'm on my desktop I generally boot into Vista, XP, then Fedora in that order. I'm using Fedora more and more though because once I get it all set up with Compiz/XGL I think it will feel a lot more like OS X than either XP or Vista combined. Vista is cool yeah, but it's lacking in a lot of window management areas as does and has XP when compared to OS X. Linux is getting there with XGL/Compiz. So yeah, I use XP and Vista for ease of use because of complete driver support for my hardware and because I'm not a Linux junkie yet, I'm working on it though, I'll be using it for my Comp Sci major all the way through.

yeah thats one thing windows has over OS X and Linux, or BSD, is better hardware support, but I have found that there is more manufacturer driver support for osx then linux.

Yes, Compiz and XGL is amazing, I love the expose feature.......thank you OS X for that feature.

As I Lay Dying said:
yeah thats one thing windows has over OS X and Linux, or BSD, is better hardware support, but I have found that there is more manufacturer driver support for osx then linux.

Yes, Compiz and XGL is amazing, I love the expose feature.......thank you OS X for that feature.

Yeah Expose is AWESOME. I don't think I could ever live without it, which means Vista better at least have some sort of 3rd party equivalent, WinPose is a project that looks promising but it's one guy and he hasn't updated since Beta 2 although he says to expect an update soon. I'm excited to see what's in store.

I wanted a laptop for school so I went with the MacBook. It's the perfect mix of usable size/compactness for a notebook, and I just wanted to spend more time around OS X. It's been great to me. Perfect for productivity and web surfing, lots of cool little features (Expose, Quicksilver, etc.) that not only impress but just get it done.

I'm sure I'll never switch all the way to Apple, simply becuase a quality PC desktop can be built so much cheaper.

I've got 2 gigs of RAM on the way to put in the MacBook. That's when I'll really find out.

Optional87 said:
Yeah Expose is AWESOME. I don't think I could ever live without it, which means Vista better at least have some sort of 3rd party equivalent, WinPose is a project that looks promising but it's one guy and he hasn't updated since Beta 2 although he says to expect an update soon. I'm excited to see what's in store.

it has 'flip-3d' or something along those lines, which takes the windows and arranges them one behind each other, and then you scroll through them, like flipping through cards. I think its a crappier version, but apparently, a long time mac user, said it was better then expose, I think thats bs.

Back