Switch or 3DS?

scojer

[H]F Junkie
Which one should I get?

It's mainly for my wife, who is a very casual gamer. She had a Nintendo DS back in the day, and we sold it because she stopped playing it. She's been more into gaming recently and we have a Wii.

So, not sure if I should get a switch, or a 3ds, she really likes the galaxy 3ds, but she also likes mario kart.

Thanks!

Was in the same spot. I opted for the Switch since its not my primary gaming platform I wasn't to worried about waiting for more games. With whats out now and whats coming I'd say its definitely in favor of the switch. Zelda and Kart are great and Mario Odyssey, and Pokemon Tournament DX coming the library is growing nicely. If she is more into JRPG's then definitely 3ds.

I have both. 3DS has a way better library right now, but the Switch definitely has better controls and graphics. Hoping the Switch will get there but currently I would say the 3DS has more going for it. You can pick up the New 2DS for pretty cheap and the design is supposedly quite good.

Also, they have Mario Kart on the 3DS.

The thing I'm worried about mainly, is has the 3ds run its course? I haven't kept up with the handhelds, so I'm not sure if it's outdated and they will replace it in a year or so. The switch is brand new and will for sure be around for a bit.

I think the new 2ds would be the better option than the 3ds as I never cared for the 3d part.

Anyway the ds platform is going to give you a ton of software options including some old school virtual console games that the switch just doesn't have. The switch does have some neo geo games though. If you get a switch and she is a casual gamer I'd look at some of those neo geo games. Magical drop and neo turf masters are both great old games that are not as hardcore as some of the other neo geo games. If you get a switch also get puyo puyo tetris. I mean it is tetris on the go, nuf said.

As far as which system hard to say. Right now I'd say the ds has more games and I don't see it dropping off right away due to the switch. It is a far more portable option.

I'd go the 3DS. The ecosystem is already established with many old games and compatible DS games. The newer 2DS XL is basically a 3DS XL without the 3D part and costs less. Makes the cost a lot less than the switch at this point I believe. 3D feature to me has always been a gimmick for these devices.. Just gives me a damn headache.

The 3DS library is just massive. Mario Kart 7 is a great MK on 3DS.

I would consider the "New 3DS" or "New 2DS" (yes dumb naming) because they can play older Nintendo games, like NES or SNES, through the virtual market if you think that is something she be interested in.

Can't go wrong with either, though I think the Switch will have longer legs.

I don't see that until they open their online store and by 2018 it might be too late for anyone to care.

Say what? 2018 is like 4 months away lol. The times up for the Switch in 4 months??? Damn N screwd me again!

Say what? 2018 is like 4 months away lol. The times up for the Switch in 4 months??? Damn N screwd me again!

The Switch as been out since March. With the flood of holiday games and the Xbox One X, people are just going to overlook Nintendo, again. I want Nintendo to do well but they are bad at making choices.

I didn't want a poll, I wanted opinions! Which I got. Based on her gaming habits I'm going to get a 3DS/2DS.

Thanks everyone!

Why not both? :p

Can't go wrong either way though, but IMO the DS systems are a better value considering the Switch doesn't have many good games right now. I don't plan on getting a switch until its next revision when it has a good library out at that time to play through.

I would get the 3DS initially and the Switch a little bit later if you don't have the money now.

The 3DS is an amazing system with the number of quality titles available for it.

Check out the Shin Megami Tensei games if you want something like Pokémon that's a bit more adult and has a better story.

Go for the 2DS XL (the new $150 one that just came out). Basically the same as the "New 3DS XL", but without the 3D gimmick, and a much easier to access memory card.

The 3D is nice to have in the few games that really make use of it.. I really enjoyed it with the Kirby games in particular. Samus Returns looks to make heavy use of it as well.

Also, the New 3DS has higher build quality. I have both because I collect Nintendo handhelds, and I really prefer the New 3DS.

I thought the 3D was really cool in A Link Between Worlds...most other games I don't use it, though. So I can't really say whether or not it's worth it. I bought my 3DS before the new 2DS came out.

I would get the 3DS initially and the Switch a little bit later if you don't have the money now.

The 3DS is an amazing system with the number of quality titles available for it.

Check out the Shin Megami Tensei games if you want something like Pokémon that's a bit more adult and has a better story.

It's not a money thing it's a space thing. The switch would replace our wii which we still use quite a bit. We've got a PS4, Wii, Retron5, and surroundsound system in our entertainment center.

Also I'm going with the 3D version, she loves 3D and if she doesn't like it in games she can shut it off.

Depends on what you still play on the Wii or want to play that is already out but haven't gotten. Personally it doesn't matter if a system has 500 old games 99% of which I will never buy anyway. If there is a game I want to play on one I already have it, played it, done with it. Most people I know with Wii's rarely play anything on them anymore or have gotten rid of them by now. Are there really new good games coming out for the Wii? So if its collecting dust, trade it in or I guess start or add it to a classic console collection.

We still use our Wii, and will continue to. I got the Galaxy 3DS. She'll get it in a little over a week.

Might be worth getting a WiiU if you still use the Wii heavily. Now is a great time to pickup a WiiU and a library of games as many traded them in for the Switch.

The WiiU itself gives you the ability to play three generations worth of Nintendo consoles without the need of emulation. It'll run Gamecube ROMs via the SD card in hacked vWii mode.

Might be worth getting a WiiU if you still use the Wii heavily. Now is a great time to pickup a WiiU and a library of games as many traded them in for the Switch.

The WiiU itself gives you the ability to play three generations worth of Nintendo consoles without the need of emulation. It'll run Gamecube ROMs via the SD card in hacked vWii mode.

I've got Animal Crossing on Gamecube. How do I copy the game onto a sd card? My Wii U only supports up to 2GB SD cards . How many Gamecube games can I expect to fit on each card?

I've got Animal Crossing on Gamecube. How do I copy the game onto a sd card? My Wii U only supports up to 2GB SD cards . How many Gamecube games can I expect to fit on each card?

It's compatible with 32GB cards.

Gamecube ISO's are 1.35GB. So quite a few games. With the WiiU gamecube USB controller adapter you can use gamecube controllers, or just use the WiiU controller if you want. Works quite well. The memory card is emulated as a partition on the SD card.

Last edited:
You need special hardware to rip Gamecube games due to the nature of the discs (they rotate the opposite direction of your standard MiniDVD), and you also need one of the original purple systems (they removed the required parallel ports on the newer silver and black models). It's going to be easier to just find a source to download it from, which I think is fine if you already own the game in question.

The Switch as been out since March. With the flood of holiday games and the Xbox One X, people are just going to overlook Nintendo, again. I want Nintendo to do well but they are bad at making choices.

Stop it! You're making me giggle!

Back