• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Switch Between Headphone and Speakers?

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
5,022
Is there a way to switch between the headphone and computer speakers without having to plug/unplug the headphone every time? Basically, I want to be able to leave the headphone plugged in and to switch back to speakers without having to unplug it.
 
Doesn't your sound card have both a line out and a headphone jack?

I am using on-board sound. Did not see a headphone jack, but I did connect the motherboard to the case which had a headphone jack on the front panel. As soon as I connect the headphones, the speakers turn off and vice versa.
 
If you have the speakers connected to "Front Speakers" or the Green connector on the back of the PC, the headphones plugged into the front panel connector and the Realtek driver/software installed, you should be able to easily do this in the Windows "Sound" control panel.

I do this but my speakers are connected to my M-Audio soundcard and my headphones to my onboard Realtek chip.

Untitled-130.png
 
If you have the speakers connected to "Front Speakers" or the Green connector on the back of the PC, the headphones plugged into the front panel connector and the Realtek driver/software installed, you should be able to easily do this in the Windows "Sound" control panel.

I do this but my speakers are connected to my M-Audio soundcard and my headphones to my onboard Realtek chip.

Untitled-130.png

Thanks. But how do I toggle between the two sources (speakers and headphone)? Do I have to manually set each as the default every time?
 

I've got one of these Plantronics "PC headset switch" devices. Have it mounted on the underside of my desk and it works perfectly. Very simple device and unfortunately discontinued. You can find em on Amazon and ebay sometimes though...

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat3600586/prod3090125

http://www.payphoneoutlet.com/product_info.php?products_id=15492

speaker_switch_group.jpg

Thanks. Will probably get this.
 
i have the logitech g110, it has audio ports on the back of it. you can use that too.
 
i know this thread is a bit old, but i'm currently searching for a way to switch realtek outputs with a script/program.

right now i leave headphone+speakers plugged in, then go into the realtek cp and remap them to switch... wonder if there's a way to do that automatically without having to go into the cp...
 
i know this thread is a bit old, but i'm currently searching for a way to switch realtek outputs with a script/program.

right now i leave headphone+speakers plugged in, then go into the realtek cp and remap them to switch... wonder if there's a way to do that automatically without having to go into the cp...

This. I find it ridiculous I have to go into a menu to do this. Seems like you should just be able to click on the headphones at the top of the volume to toggle inputs.
 
I've got one of these Plantronics "PC headset switch" devices. Have it mounted on the underside of my desk and it works perfectly. Very simple device and unfortunately discontinued. You can find em on Amazon and ebay sometimes though...

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat3600586/prod3090125

http://www.payphoneoutlet.com/product_info.php?products_id=15492

speaker_switch_group.jpg

Unfortunately that product is discontinued so good luck finding it. There has to be alternatives right?
 
this

Make sure you have a headphone volume control to properly match them to your speaker volume so you're not constantly adjusting Windows internal volume.

NOTE: Make sure you reverse what you're doing with the labels. Normally it's used for three devices to one output. You can hook your PC input to the output and use the inputs as the outputs for the speakers and headphones. Since it's just a bunch of jacks and switches it will work fine, but throws people off when I recommend it sometimes.
 
Back
Top