Swiftech H240-X CPU Liquid Cooling AIO KiT @ [H]

Finally got mine in to finish off the new PC:

Temps have been nothing short of spectacular. I love it.

Customized the white plate to make it a "Neon Pink"

Think it turned out really well.

U2zguT8.jpg

RdOdQA7.jpg

Indeed.
I'm hearing an echo. :D
-10c is much colder then just "sub-freezing temps". -10c is 14f.
Cars without anti-freeze crack blocks and radiators at these temps.
I'm sure most shipments get nowhere near that cold, H110i GT or others.
So why recall all H110I GTs' from retailers?

Well, for one, if air freight is used, the cargo holds of planes are not heated and it gets very cold at high altitudes.

-10c is only 10c below freezing. Not a big deal.

I have never heard of a car without antifreeze in it...

Zarathustra[H];1041462348 said:
Well, for one, if air freight is used, the cargo holds of planes are not heated and it gets very cold at high altitudes.

-10c is only 10c below freezing. Not a big deal.

I have never heard of a car without antifreeze in it...
I don't know about cargo holds not being heated, but I do know that normal luggage and shipments do not freeze.

You are correct -10c is 10c below freeziong, or 14 degrees Fahrenheit .. and in many parts of the world that is a big deal. Here in the UK -10c is a big deal .. and is southern California, and Florida, and Texas.

But we digress. If few have frozen and a very few of those leaked .. which seems to be the only problem, why recall them all? In their own words Corsair says they have found no problems with any they have tested.

As for cars without antifreeze, try Florida, southern California, etc. :D

I don't know about cargo holds not being heated, but I do know that normal luggage and shipments do not freeze.

It's been a while since I did a shipping validation, but as part of ISTA 2A, there are sets of temperature exposure tests that are performed based on the intended shipping method, one is cold exposure. I forget exactly how cold it gets though, as it has been a long time.

You are correct -10c is 10c below freeziong, or 14 degrees Fahrenheit .. and in many parts of the world that is a big deal. Here in the UK -10c is a big deal .. and is southern California, and Florida, and Texas.

It might be a big deal in certain geographical areas, I guess I was just reacting to the claim that "most shipments never get that cold.

I was having trouble finding data, but here is some for the U.S. showing that every single state except Hawaii has seen record lows at 14F/-10C or lower. (Hawaii's record low was 15F)

And keep in mind that is at ground level. It only gets colder as you get up to 30,000ft :p

Also, shipments rarely ever go from point to point. They often go to a shippers hub before going back out to their destination.

The UPS air hub is in Louisville, KY, which has seen very cold temperatures this year. (-20 to -26 Fahrenheit wind chills).

FedEx has their super hub in Memphis, and it has seen very cold temperatures this year as well.

But we digress. If few have frozen and a very few of those leaked .. which seems to be the only problem, why recall them all? In their own words Corsair says they have found no problems with any they have tested.

Because these things always get blown out of proportion online. It only takes a few users with errors to start posting negative reviews and lower sales overall. Especially when a failure has the potential for rather catastrophic results, like dousing an enthusiast computer in water.

I have no idea what kind of profit margins corsair has on these things, but lets assume for a moment that it is 20% of their $110 pricetag. What percentage of these have to fail and kill $1000 enthusiast computers before the risk outweighs the reward of selling them?

I would imagine a very low percentage would do the trick. Especially since it's not just the cost of hardware it has the potential of ruining, but also the cost of the RMA process, claims, shipping, etc, and dealing with bad publicity from angry forum users when their RMA's take longer than usual because the RMA deparment is overwhelmed by increased activity.

(example, based on made up figures: Normal activity, 10 RMA's per day. Knowing that volumes fluctuate, you staff enough to handle 15-20 per day. During a crisi you get 100 per day)

So I see why they did it. Better safe than sorry. The cost of pulling the remaining stock, and the income from lost sales is much smaller than the risk of letting them go out and fail, even if it is only a very small percentage.

Also, speaking from experience with manufacturing and defects in the field, it is very very common for there to be customer complaints which you can not reproduce no matter how hard you try on material in stock. You simply do not have 100% control of the supply chain and use, and cant test for every condition. Shippers, retailers and users have a remarkable aptitude for finding new and unique seemingly innocuous ways of breaking shit, you had never thought of.

As for cars without antifreeze, try Florida, southern California, etc. :D

I understand it might be possible some places, but that just sounds crazy to me as I am looking out my window at the 7ft snow piles on either side of my walkway in front of my house. :p

Here is Corsair's officual statement:
As a precautionary measure, Corsair has recalled the H110i GT from our resellers for screening. Here’s some information about what this means to you.

1. We discovered that when some units are exposed to extremely cold, sub-freezing temperatures during shipment, they can leak small amounts of coolant.
2. This problem can be immediately identified when the box is opened as some users noticed small drops of coolant in the plastic bag surrounding the unit.
3. If there has been no coolant leaked in the package, the unit should operate normally and with no problems.

Though we have seen no failures of units during operation, and have tested units in a wide variety of conditions to verify they have not leaked once installed, we understand that this can be disconcerting. If you have purchased this product and have a concern, please contact your reseller or Corsair directly to return the product. We will likely not have replacement units available for six weeks, as the entire recall, screening, and remanufacturing process takes significant shipping time.

Thank you for purchasing Corsair, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27649508&postcount=2

And this posted on OcUK website in thread titled ** Corsair Hydro H110i GT Recall **

Hi Guys
I have had information from Corsair this morning that they are issuing a product recall on their new Hydro H110i GT CPU Cooler.
The reason for the recall is for something that is a fairly unlikely scenario, if the unit goes below -10'C then it will leak.
All of our stock has been removed from sale, I would urge any customer who has purchased these products to contact our returns team so that we can assist you.
Any questions, just post in here and I will do my best to help.
Rich
UPDATE FROM CORSAIR:
The H110i GT is only a channel recall any units sold to end-user that are fine out of the box wont be affected

So a few have frozen hard enough to possibly leaked, but it is easy to identify the ones that have. So why not check stock for leaks and sell all that have not leaked?

None that have been tested leaked or had any problems.

Interestingly enough Amazon pulled the H110i GT around the same time as this recall. Also if you want a quiet pump on the H240X then definitely use the PWM splitter.

Cool will look into that. Also anyone know how to remove the 5.25 bay inside the 450D case?

That's the optical bay right? I've seen Corsair themselves mod it out (or at least the bottom of it) but they must've done some metal work because I couldn't figure out any way to do it myself.
I threw a gelid silent 14 PWM fan on the bottom side of mine, but also switch some other fans around at the same time, dropped 5 degrees, but ive expanded the loop and have a 290X in there and a UT60 140mm rad as well. It helps for sure, but I only imagine 1-2 degrees, its a fairly low FPI rad, not very restrictive. I just had the fan so I threw it in.

Where did you put the 140mm rad? Is it intake or outtake?

How does the new Corsair H110i GT fair up against Swiftech H240-X?

Any reviews with both in the test?

So I was dusting out my PC last night and noticed this
USyKcRM.png
- is there supposed to be an air pocket this large in there?

Weird, that doesn't look like air in the picture.

If its fairly new there shouldn't really be much if any air in it. If you have burned off some of the liquid there could be space filling in where the water was.

I've had mine running since November and cannot see anything like that in mine. Granted I don't have an angle that is easy to see at it like that but I wiggled my case and nothing moved.

Weird, that doesn't look like air in the picture.

If its fairly new there shouldn't really be much if any air in it. If you have burned off some of the liquid there could be space filling in where the water was.

I've had mine running since November and cannot see anything like that in mine. Granted I don't have an angle that is easy to see at it like that but I wiggled my case and nothing moved.

What else does it look like if not air? I've had mine for a couple of months. I remember it was really loud when I first got it and I had to add dish soap to quiet it down - perhaps that bubble is the culprit? I wonder if my pump would be quieter if it was gone altogether...

So mine might have a bad pump. When shutting down to head out of town for the weekend the machine hung before fully shutting down. I went ahead and did a cold shutdown and rebooted it to make sure everything was working and now getting CPU fan warnings the machine shuts down. Looks like from overheating. I am going to pull it out to investigate on Sunday when I am back home. Performance seems great to me but not for these headaches. Guess I am going back to a corsair cooler.

Update:

Just confirmed my pump died on my setup. Who do I need to contact to get a replacement setup?

What else does it look like if not air? I've had mine for a couple of months. I remember it was really loud when I first got it and I had to add dish soap to quiet it down - perhaps that bubble is the culprit? I wonder if my pump would be quieter if it was gone altogether...

Honestly not sure, just in that image it looks like a part of the reservoir. If you move the case around and it moves around then yeah its most likely air.

Mine has been very quiet and operating without issue since November, all I did was install it and be amazed at how easy it was vs the last time I went water. I wonder if something in yours is defective generating the noise and potential air.

Honestly not sure, just in that image it looks like a part of the reservoir. If you move the case around and it moves around then yeah its most likely air.

Mine has been very quiet and operating without issue since November, all I did was install it and be amazed at how easy it was vs the last time I went water. I wonder if something in yours is defective generating the noise and potential air.

I contacted Swiftech and they said it's normal to see a small amount of liquid evaporate after a few months of use. Mine's quiet, but it's all relative - it was just a worry that perhaps my unit's pump was slightly louder than it should be, but odds are that all is normal. I only hear it if I have my Noctua fans turned all the way down, and never paying specific attention to a cooling pump before before I wasn't sure if it's something I should hear at all.

I'm still extremely satisfied with my unit. It's cooling just as well, if not better than when I received it. Honestly, it's one of my favorite purchases in the last year. Coming from the H80i - it's like a night and day difference.

The real excitement is when I'm upgrading from my i7 930 so I can see the benefit on newer CPU's.

Swiftech H240-X mounted vertically inside big dual-width case Lian Li PC-D8000

by5NkYp.jpg

Ooo...that looks nice. Any idea how much better that would perform? I'm definitely looking to upgrade my H-240X down the line, wasn't sure if I should add additional radiators or just get a better waterblock.

This is interesting questions but nobody has answer yet since the waterblock is brand new, I am one of the firsts who ordered it. Production is just starting and is made to order, first coolers will only be available in ~2 weeks time. Regarding the Swiftech waterblock there were some reports that its performance is a bit down probably due a contact problem.

This is interesting questions but nobody has answer yet since the waterblock is brand new, I am one of the firsts who ordered it. Production is just starting and is made to order, first coolers will only be available in ~2 weeks time. Regarding the Swiftech waterblock there were some reports that its performance is a bit down probably due a contact problem.

Curious if you will get any better temps than the block it has.. it's supposed to be a good block to begin with.

Swapping blocks for a couple C difference seems a little extreme.

A couple of C is HUGE. It can mean the difference between stability and crashing when overclocked.

Even a single degree is a big deal. I wouldn't swap a block over 0.1 or 0.2C but multiple degrees is enormous.

That being said, there was a comment to the test that their results were atypical, and maybe the block wasn't seated properly.

I'm not sure.

Zarathustra[H];1041541525 said:
That being said, there was a comment to the test that their results were atypical, and maybe the block wasn't seated properly.

I'm not sure.

This review similarly shows it towards the bottom of the pack of waterblocks.

I guess it is possible that they- too - mounted it incorrectly, but I doubt it.

EKWB Supremacy blocks seem to repeatedly take the crown.

I'm not saying that Swifttech's Apogee XL isn't a decent water block. It's certainly leaps and bounds better than what you'd find in any other AIW cooler.

When compared to other performance water blocks for custom water loops - however - it doesn't seem to be all that impressive.

The question is if it is worth the extra hassle and cost to build a custom loop with an EKWB EVO block, vs. this amazing value for a pump, reservoir, radiator and waterblock.

I contacted Swiftech and they said it's normal to see a small amount of liquid evaporate after a few months of use. Mine's quiet, but it's all relative - it was just a worry that perhaps my unit's pump was slightly louder than it should be, but odds are that all is normal. I only hear it if I have my Noctua fans turned all the way down, and never paying specific attention to a cooling pump before before I wasn't sure if it's something I should hear at all.

I'm still extremely satisfied with my unit. It's cooling just as well, if not better than when I received it. Honestly, it's one of my favorite purchases in the last year. Coming from the H80i - it's like a night and day difference.

The real excitement is when I'm upgrading from my i7 930 so I can see the benefit on newer CPU's.

That's good :) I don't mess with the case fans much since the audio level is night and day compared to my last few systems and low temps are a nice perk this time around.

[QUOTE='Zarathustra[H]]

EKWB Supremacy blocks seem to repeatedly take the crown.

I'm not saying that Swifttech's Apogee XL isn't a decent water block. It's certainly leaps and bounds better than what you'd find in any other AIW cooler.

When compared to other performance water blocks for custom water loops - however - it doesn't seem to be all that impressive.

The question is if it is worth the extra hassle and cost to build a custom loop with an EKWB EVO block, vs. this amazing value for a pump, reservoir, radiator and waterblock.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more that the average person buying this kit (myself included) isn't looking to go crazy with overclocking. I wanted the option to expand and have a good balance between cooling and cost while being able to push my parts further than normal All in Ones or air allow.

Once I put it in and saw the temps and low heat output I was happy with my for now small OC. I did a lot of research before buying, knowing my options and how this could be expanded. I did consider a custom loop but as you said this little kit does a great job for what it is.

Zarathustra[H];1041541525 said:
A couple of C is HUGE. It can mean the difference between stability and crashing when overclocked.

Even a single degree is a big deal. I wouldn't swap a block over 0.1 or 0.2C but multiple degrees is enormous.

I'm not sure.

A single degree is NOT a big deal at all.. if you are that close to the edge of stability that is just bad news as ambient can change and then your 1 degree is lost. 1-2C difference is pointless for a daily used rig. If it was closer to 4-5C I could understand it being worth the change but 1-2C is nothing and by no means a "Big Deal".

Yes, no problems. The next step is to change the Swiftech CPU cooler to the Liquid Extasy full cover water block.
Ooo...that looks nice. Any idea how much better that would perform? I'm definitely looking to upgrade my H-240X down the line, wasn't sure if I should add additional radiators or just get a better waterblock.
This is interesting question but nobody has answer yet since the waterblock is brand new, I am one of the firsts who ordered it. Production is just starting and is made to order, first coolers will only be available in ~2 weeks time. Regarding the Swiftech waterblock there were some reports that its performance is a bit down probably due a contact problem.
Curious if you will get any better temps than the block it has.. it's supposed to be a good block to begin with.
Zarathustra[H];1041541462 said:
See, that is what I heard two, but then I read some comparative reviews and it didn't fare all that well...

1-2 deg C difference is rather small, one wonders what is the marign of error in those measurements. Liquid Extasy block is entirely different animal since it is full cover block. On the Asus X-99E WS motherboard which has 2 PLX chips the chipset area is quite hot and mosfets deserve good cooling too. This block solves it with one shot and without tubing everywhere. So if it is within this 1-2 deg range it will be excellent.

Got my unit back from Swiftech but going to use my H110 GT instead so if anyone is interested in a unit let me know.

Why not throw a 3rd fan on? From what I read that should lower your CPU temps a couple degrees atleast. I'm going to experiment with this when my replacement fans come (tomorrow?).

A single degree is NOT a big deal at all.. if you are that close to the edge of stability that is just bad news as ambient can change and then your 1 degree is lost. 1-2C difference is pointless for a daily used rig. If it was closer to 4-5C I could understand it being worth the change but 1-2C is nothing and by no means a "Big Deal".

Totally with you on this.
The only argument I could see for 1 degree would maybe be for OC competition. For daily use, one degree of difference is not significant.

Back