• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Swiftech H20-320 Edge Kit or Custom loop?

aznpotpie

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Messages
1,272
First I read a lot of things about watercooling over the years but never have I been able to put a setup together until now. My budget is approximately $300 with shipping and taxes so I'm trying not to go overboard there. What I'm concern about is getting the fittings/barbs correct and which one would be easier overall to maintain? Should I get this or a custom loop?
 
if you want convience and everything hassle free
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsra750rxwak1.html

if you want the fun of piecing together your own, and want higher-end parts go custom. Heres my list of parts that took me awhile to find due to a 'budget' and browsing the For Sale section

used Heatkiller 3.0 LC + backplate - $35
used Swiftech MCP-35x(sleeved) - $75
new Swiftech Microres - $9
new 10x bitspower fittings 1/2" - $15
new 8 120mm yate loons - $30

~$170 so far


all I need is a 4x120mm rad(about $70-100) and some tubing($10) and I have a very good loop with higher end parts while still being cheap.
 
Those all-in-one kits using the Drive series radiators are ridiculously expensive, much more expensive than piecing together your own parts using a regular radiator. With a Drive radiator, you pay approximately 50-100 extra in premium just for the ability to mount a pump to the radiator.
 
Those all-in-one kits using the Drive series radiators are ridiculously expensive, much more expensive than piecing together your own parts using a regular radiator. With a Drive radiator, you pay approximately 50-100 extra in premium just for the ability to mount a pump to the radiator.

true, you are paying about 30usd more than the pump (iirc, it's a MCP355PWM pump veriant?) is worth. But, for some people who:

have a vertical 240 rad mount
have uhhhh.... I cannot think of any other reason. Just go with a custom setup :)
 
if you want convience and everything hassle free
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsra750rxwak1.html

if you want the fun of piecing together your own, and want higher-end parts go custom. Heres my list of parts that took me awhile to find due to a 'budget' and browsing the For Sale section

used Heatkiller 3.0 LC + backplate - $35
used Swiftech MCP-35x(sleeved) - $75
new Swiftech Microres - $9
new 10x bitspower fittings 1/2" - $15
new 8 120mm yate loons - $30

~$170 so far


all I need is a 4x120mm rad(about $70-100) and some tubing($10) and I have a very good loop with higher end parts while still being cheap.
I would perfer to get the stuff from an onlien retailer. Is XSPC good? Would you say that Swiftech is more reliable then XSPC or is it even now?
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekh3osuhf360.html
Any suggestions on that?
 
Last edited:
true, you are paying about 30usd more than the pump (iirc, it's a MCP355PWM pump veriant?) is worth. But, for some people who:

have a vertical 240 rad mount
have uhhhh.... I cannot think of any other reason. Just go with a custom setup :)

I disagree with this because not everyone is comfortable with going a custom setup. Swiftech really did hit a niche market where people do not want an all in one crappy unit but at the same time not catering to those who like custom loop. They are a in between gap which I find an interesting item. What caught my eyes is that it was relaly easy to install compare to a custom one where I have to buy the fitting/barbs and then finding how to tube everything together.
 
I disagree with this because not everyone is comfortable with going a custom setup. Swiftech really did hit a niche market where people do not want an all in one crappy unit but at the same time not catering to those who like custom loop. They are a in between gap which I find an interesting item. What caught my eyes is that it was relaly easy to install compare to a custom one where I have to buy the fitting/barbs and then finding how to tube everything together.

That edge kit still is a custom loop. It's just that Swiftech integrated 3 items (radiator, reservoir, and pump) into one unit, so less parts to connect overall. And you still have to assemble that unit, it does not come as shown in the picture. You still have to run tubing from the radiator to the CPU block, and you still have to attach it on your own. It is not in any way comparable to the H50 or H70 in terms of ease of setup.

Seriously, how hard is it to buy the same fittings? How hard is it to put on clamps and make sure it is tight? How hard is it to make sure the fitting is tightened enough? And is it really that difficult to run tubing through your case for a CPU only loop? It only gets complicated when you start running motherboard chipset blocks, universal (not the full-cover) GPU blocks, and/or multiple radiators.

XSPC is good, for a CPU only loop, just get the RASA RX360 kit.
 
That edge kit still is a custom loop. It's just that Swiftech integrated 3 items (radiator, reservoir, and pump) into one unit, so less parts to connect overall. And you still have to assemble that unit, it does not come as shown in the picture. You still have to run tubing from the radiator to the CPU block, and you still have to attach it on your own. It is not in any way comparable to the H50 or H70 in terms of ease of setup.

Seriously, how hard is it to buy the same fittings? How hard is it to put on clamps and make sure it is tight? How hard is it to make sure the fitting is tightened enough? And is it really that difficult to run tubing through your case for a CPU only loop? It only gets complicated when you start running motherboard chipset blocks, universal (not the full-cover) GPU blocks, and/or multiple radiators.

XSPC is good, for a CPU only loop, just get the RASA RX360 kit.

This is true that the Swiftech is not an all in one but is not an exact "custom loop" You do not need to plan where to put the rad or pump nor run the tubing for it. Not everyone has the same feeling nor viewpoint as you. Not everyone is willing to make a custom loop due to the fear of messing up one way or another. One of the major fears is that watercooling may require cutting your case and modifying it which many do not feel all that well about. I'm trying to get the most performance out of my $300ish.
 
This is true that the Swiftech is not an all in one but is not an exact "custom loop" You do not need to plan where to put the rad or pump nor run the tubing for it. Not everyone has the same feeling nor viewpoint as you. Not everyone is willing to make a custom loop due to the fear of messing up one way or another. One of the major fears is that watercooling may require cutting your case and modifying it which many do not feel all that well about. I'm trying to get the most performance out of my $300ish.

the swiftech drive unit is no different, IMO, in terms of setup, from any other custom loop.... many cases don't come with WC grommets, nor a space for a 240/360 rad (smallest MCR drive combo unit size), so case modding would be almost necesary.
 
Last edited:
customwc.png

Any suggestions? I'm not missing anything right?
 
Any suggestions? I'm not missing anything right?

missing fans, and if you like the bling, go for that CPU block, or if you want to save money get a Rasa block or a heatkiller 3.0 LC(i think the LC is cheap, dont remember), but the difference in temp isnt enough to warrant the price difference

if you like that bay reservoir its fine, might give you problems with bleeding the loop, and air bubbles as the water evaporates. I would recommend the swiftech microres.
 
missing fans, and if you like the bling, go for that CPU block, or if you want to save money get a Rasa block or a heatkiller 3.0 LC(i think the LC is cheap, dont remember), but the difference in temp isnt enough to warrant the price difference

if you like that bay reservoir its fine, might give you problems with bleeding the loop, and air bubbles as the water evaporates. I would recommend the swiftech microres.

I didn't need to buy fans because I have a lot of good fans left over from other builds. I was under the assumption that the EK block was one of the best if not the best? I basicially want to do an all out attack on my CPU and try to stay within budget :). I was under the assumption that bay reservoirs would be easier to work with? Is this all bay reservoirs? Would it really be annoying? Kinda like the bay reservoir for the "cool effect" and easy to see how much water I have. BTW where do I put the kill coil?
 
I didn't need to buy fans because I have a lot of good fans left over from other builds. I was under the assumption that the EK block was one of the best if not the best? I basicially want to do an all out attack on my CPU and try to stay within budget :). I was under the assumption that bay reservoirs would be easier to work with? Is this all bay reservoirs? Would it really be annoying? Kinda like the bay reservoir for the "cool effect" and easy to see how much water I have. BTW where do I put the kill coil?

the block is one of the best, but is twice the price worth 1-2*C?

the single 5.25" reservoirs have this problem as there is not enough room for "error" so to speak and have to keep an eye on the water level and make sure it doesnt drop below the 'out' port

kill coil goes in the res.
 
Personally, I think internal reservoirs (like the micro-res) are easier to install and use. Then again, to take off my side panel, all I have to do is flip a lever... and there's convenient places all over my case to put it. Also, my case has a front door and not that many drive bays, so a drive bay reservoir is much more inconvenient for me to use.

Get the Apogee XT. It's much cheaper, and very comparable (within 2-3 C) of the Heatkiller. The XSPC block will also perform within 2-3 C of the Heatkiller.
 
Personally, I think internal reservoirs (like the micro-res) are easier to install and use. Then again, to take off my side panel, all I have to do is flip a lever... and there's convenient places all over my case to put it. Also, my case has a front door and not that many drive bays, so a drive bay reservoir is much more inconvenient for me to use.

Get the Apogee XT. It's much cheaper, and very comparable (within 2-3 C) of the Heatkiller. The XSPC block will also perform within 2-3 C of the Heatkiller.
Well I'm trying to put all of these parts into a Silverstone RV02-E. I know it's only 2-3 but my 2600k gets really hot with the Thermalright Archon so I want to get the most out of the block.

new 10x bitspower fittings 1/2" - $15
new 8 120mm yate loons - $30

Where did you find these? I can't find it anywhere in the For Sale Forum here.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top