• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

swiftech BGA ram sinks keep falling off

blueadept33

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
147
Anyone know how to secure the BGA ramsinks from swiftech? The sticker crap on it just makes them fall right off, well half stayed on, but obviously you can't OC half your vid card ram...
 
not so obvious: the sinks really dont' amke that big a difference: they're mainly for peace of mind.

that being said, a mix of thermal epoxy and thermal paste works well if you apply them properly.
 
wow, his name involves DFI but he buys mobos from msi...
no dude you buy from DFI you gotta be a pro ocer. like, there are so many things you cant do with that board cuz its meant for something different. not that thats bad... leme give example.

the ram problem everyone has with those boards, its simply because some slots are made for differant timeings....

anywho my advice

go get some new thermal paste! use it like glue.
 
I just got those sinks today (MC14) and they work fine. I have a 120 on the back blwoing in over them and their cool.
 
MrWizard6600 said:
wow, his name involves DFI but he buys mobos from msi...
no dude you buy from DFI you gotta be a pro ocer. like, there are so many things you cant do with that board cuz its meant for something different. not that thats bad... leme give example.

the ram problem everyone has with those boards, its simply because some slots are made for differant timeings....
i'll thank you not to tell me what problems i did and did not have with my previous board. i put the hours into trying to overclock my previous board, and i also put the hours into overclocking my current board, bright-boy.

my DFI board was a piece of shit, and i isolated the board as the source of my problems, after testing every last little part and setting available.

two different sets of BH-5 RAM, one set of TCCD RAM, two different procs, two different PSUs, aggressive cooling, adjusting all settings available (ALL of them!) and that fucking POS would not exceed 200 FSB with usable stability.

i'd like to note that my present board offered good value in terms of gaming performance, and overclocks like a champ, without mishap.

now, i'm a little unclear what that has to do with cooling video card memory, but you brought it up.

the GDDR III memory on my own card doesn't benifit from the added cooling that my ramsinks afford. plenty of other users have reported the same results in terms of the OC that they could hit before and after attaching ramsinks.
 
MrWizard6600 said:
wow, his name involves DFI but he buys mobos from msi...
no dude you buy from DFI you gotta be a pro ocer. like, there are so many things you cant do with that board cuz its meant for something different. not that thats bad... leme give example.

the ram problem everyone has with those boards, its simply because some slots are made for differant timeings....
threadrelation.jpg
 
I just put RAM sinks on mine and I got about 30MHz off my RAM. from 1.37GHz to 1.4GHz
 
Heat should make them stick. I had the same problem with some zalman ramsinks when I was putting them on the backside of a x800. I let them rest on my card installed in my computer. After running my computer for awhile they stuck securely. If you can't do this (ramsinks face the bottom and fall off) you can try using a blowdryer to get them warm and then stick them on the card. Something to try I guess.
 
i'm using arctic alumina epoxy w/my ramsinks..

if you rtfm that came with them it'll point out to avoid conductive epoxies (i.e. arctic silver epoxy).

because I'm such a nice fellow..


For a superior mechanical joint and enhanced thermal conductivity, the MC14 Ramsinks may be permanently attached to the memory modules using a thermally conductive epoxy glue such as Arctic Alumina or Arctic Ceramique Epoxy. Non electrically conductive or non-capacitive glue should be used to prevent damage to the memory, thus precluding the use of Arctic Silver Epoxy which is capacitive. Please refer to http://www.arcticsilver.com for installation guidelines.
Please note again that such installation is permanent and will void your Warranty
1. Peel-off the protection paper from the MC14 Ramsink, and carefully clean off the thermal adhesive with a solvent
2. Carefully clean-off the BGA modules with an electronics degreaser
3. Apply a small amount of epoxy glue to the memory modules.
3. Gently rub the MC14 ramsink on the BGA module in a circular motion in order to spread the epoxy evenly
4. Allow the epoxy to dry following manufacturer instructions.Installation is complete.
 
MrWizard6600 said:
wow, his name involves DFI but he buys mobos from msi...
no dude you buy from DFI you gotta be a pro ocer. like, there are so many things you cant do with that board cuz its meant for something different. not that thats bad... leme give example.

the ram problem everyone has with those boards, its simply because some slots are made for differant timeings....

anywho my advice

go get some new thermal paste! use it like glue.
telling Daishi what he did wrong with his hardware is like telling Ghandi wht he did wrong with passive resistance. you should really think about reading these forums and getting to know these guys before you try an tell them what they did wrong. besides.... maybe some people dont like the FUGLY color scheme DFI uses. so if you want to be a "pro ocer" as you put it, do a little reserach before you pick on one of the more respected "pro ocers" here.

if you are careful with the epoxy there is no danger. i have ramsinks attached with expoxy to 3 VGA cards, various PWM's southbridges and RAID controllers and have never once had a problem.
 
blueadept33 said:
Anyone know how to secure the BGA ramsinks from swiftech? The sticker crap on it just makes them fall right off, well half stayed on, but obviously you can't OC half your vid card ram...

I read a few people having the same problem. Even myself. Whatever thermal tape they use for them is terrible. I was able to get mine to stick a little bit after warming the sinks up with a blow dryer. Once the video card was powered up, I think the heat from the ram gets them to stick better. They haven't fallen off since. But they were definitely a pain to get to stick.
 
Personally, I am all for using premium thermal paste (not adhesive), with a small dab
of super glue gel in the corners to attack the sinks. I have used that method with great success.
All the way up to hefty NB sinks.

BTW ......where did post #3 come from? :rolleyes:
 
Susquehannock said:
Personally, I am all for using premium thermal paste (not adhesive), with a small dab
of super glue gel in the corners to attack the sinks. I have used that method with great success.

I have heard of the same technique used before, and although I haven't done this myself, I recommend his way: sounds the easiest for getting stuff off and on.

However, do not use a glue that needs to be refrigerated (like the stuff that my dad gets from USAirways that they use in the airplanes)
 
I use silicone to hold the ramsinks on my 6800GT. I used plumbers goop cause thats what I had. I put thermal paste on the chips, then placed the heatsinks on them, and then put the goop around the edges of the sinks.

It holds them on there really well and is removeable if your carefull.
Just be sure to leave the card out and right side up for atleast a day to make sure the goop fully cures.

By the way I'm using the giant copper bga ramsinks from Frozen CPU so I'm pretty sure it can handle the weight.
 
Susquehannock said:
Personally, I am all for using premium thermal paste (not adhesive), with a small dab
of super glue gel in the corners to attack the sinks. I have used that method with great success.
All the way up to hefty NB sinks.
Yep, that's old-school way of attaching ramsinks/NB heatsinks etc, this was the way we did it before any of the artic silver epoxies were invented. I still use the same method myself...
 
just got my MC14 or whatever swiftech crap.
first 2 worked fine, but this 3rd one isnt going on at all..i touched it and its not even sticky whatsoever.. and yes i pulled off the tab fine >:
will have to find some plumbing goop too i guess as all i got is carpentry glue.


EDIT: screw it, just went and bought some 2-epoxy "Copper-Bond" stuff...
:)
 
Pssssst.

Silicon RTV Adhesive found almost anywhere including grocery stores on the outside corners.

;)
 
Back
Top