Swiftech Apex Kit installed... Problems, problems, and more problems

paintb4707 said:
How exactly did I void the warranty though? I mean its not like I tampered with it or even deliberately for that matter.

You covered it with coolant by not properly insuring that your loop was leak free.

If you read your warranty you'll notice it states that they warranty the part to be from defects in matterials and workmanship and that any user damage is not covered. Hence you leaked fluids on the card and damaged it thereby voiding your warranty.

As to everyone that says "It's a tax write off" that's possibly true but what they fail to realize is that loss isn't credited back to a company at a rate of 1-1. If you lose a buck due to fraudulent RMA claims you might see 10 cents of that on your returns from the tax man which means that the other 90 cents is just loss. That loss is passed on to the consumer in higher prices just like the losses incured by shoplifters are passed on to the consumers.

The companies are not only paying for the boards that go back out they're also paying for shipping, testing and the rest of the RMA process. The cost of new cards reflect the cost of that process and by sending in cards that you have killed through your own actions (or inaction depending on the point of view) you're just inflating that cost.

No signal to moniter?

I had the same problem when I tested out my wc system last week. I took out the cpu, put new thermal paste on it, and remounted the waterblock. My problem was fixed. It might take a couple of tries...

Hope this helps. :)

Well, the second time re-applying my thermal paste I used a little more than before. Could it be possible I put too much and that would be causing it?

And sorry if I came off as a scam artist with the RMA deal. I was never really informed on the whole process so I was just curious. Hopefully I can save the card myself.

paintb4707 said:
Well, the second time re-applying my thermal paste I used a little more than before. Could it be possible I put too much and that would be causing it?

And sorry if I came off as a scam artist with the RMA deal. I was never really informed on the whole process so I was just curious. Hopefully I can save the card myself.

Doubtful... unless your using something conductive and put on so much its getting on your motherboard.

Clean the card thoroughly with the purest isopropyl alcohol you can find then let it air dry for a couple of days.

Is the board giving you any type of error beeps? If the card's not working it should give you certain series of beeps...if it's not beeping at all the problem could well lie elsewhere.

Viper87227 said:
Doubtful... unless your using something conductive and put on so much its getting on your motherboard.

I'm wondering if he's possibly got fluid still in the crannies of his board causing it to power up but not POST...

madmat said:
Clean the card thoroughly with the purest isopropyl alcohol you can find then let it air dry for a couple of days.

Is the board giving you any type of error beeps? If the card's not working it should give you certain series of beeps...if it's not beeping at all the problem could well lie elsewhere.
Yeah, thats what Im saying. The strange thing is my mobo isnt giving me any errors. I have my speakers plugged in too, Id assume it would say "gpu failure" if that was the case.

Well, I got another card to try anyways, so Ill test it out tomorrow and well find out.

Generally when the fans spin up but the board doesn't beep at all then you've got a problem with the motherboard at the very least...

Well, I just tried a completely different video card and Im still having the same problem.

I did however look around on my mobo with a uv light, since the stupid dye is only visible under UV, I did see some residue scattered around. I didnt find any residue inside the slots though but I guess I need to clean my mobo too.

paintb4707 said:
Well, I just tried a completely different video card and Im still having the same problem.

I did however look around on my mobo with a uv light, since the stupid dye is only visible under UV, I did see some residue scattered around. I didnt find any residue inside the slots though but I guess I need to clean my mobo too.

Yeah, clean everything with rubbing alcohol really well. Hopefully that will do it.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/406b.html

works well to get most things off. i use it prior to treating my parts with conformal coating. strips thermal compound, dielectric grease, stickers and printed serial numbers off of a board pretty well. it's also highly pressurized to it blasts off and carries away some things which it doesn't technically dissolve.

RMA is never an option for me, if i break my stuff. suck it up and enjoy some of the toys. :D

Ugh... I cleaned off the mobo and I cleaned off the card. Im still getting the same problem and Im clueless... The only other thing I can think of is the dye could of got on the back of the mobo. So aggrivating :mad:

paintb4707 said:
Ugh... I cleaned off the mobo and I cleaned off the card. Im still getting the same problem and Im clueless... The only other thing I can think of is the dye could of got on the back of the mobo. So aggrivating :mad:

I wish I could say it were that simple. Just because its clean doesnt mean its fixed. The die could have shorted something and your mobo is dead. :(

Viper87227 said:
I wish I could say it were that simple. Just because its clean doesnt mean its fixed. The die could have shorted something and your mobo is dead. :(
Well, I dont think my mobo is neccessarily dead, since the green light is lit.

I've got an IC7 Max III sitting in a drawer awaiting Abit's out-of-warranty RMA (when I can afford it that is) that the green LED on the mobo lights up still but it doesn't do anything beyond that.

Just because the LED shows the board's getting power don't assume that the board is good.

thunderstruck! said:
Time to RMA everything!

The ethics of some people just amaze me :rolleyes:

paintb4707 said:
Well, I dont think my mobo is neccessarily dead, since the green light is lit.

All that green light means is its recieving power. Not saying the board is dead, but its very likly if you cleaned everything and it still wont post.

Back