Survey Shows Owners of Digital Voice Assistants Use Smartphones Less

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Accenture recently conducted a survey of 21,000 online customers and discovered a number of interesting trends. Digital voice assistants are gaining more and more of a foothold in the market place, more than half surveyed are willing to ride in a self-driving car, and customers want more than gaming uses for AR/VR. The thing that jumped out at me was users of DVAs are less likely to use their smartphone. Could these devices start to make a real dent in the smartphone market? Probably not, but once Alexa takes over the world they might.

The voice interface takes the blending of the physical and digital worlds to a new level, augmenting the way consumers access content and services and offering providers an additional service and revenue opportunity. In fixed locations consumers who own a DVA device are using their smartphone less for certain activities, but for “on the go” use cases they still turn to their mobile devices

They might use their phones less, but that is very different from concluding that they don't need a phone at all.

Most people leave the house at least sometimes :p

Personally these DVA's as we now seem to be calling them are not for me. I don't want one in my house ever. In fact, I would prefer it if ALL of IOT would just die and go away. Don't need it, don't want it.

I want stuff I can control.

I would love a thermostat I could run control software for on my server in my basement, and do port forwards for control when I am not at home, but I DO NOT want devices that are connected directly to the internet, or some cloud service out there.

Give me the Enterprise solution run from my ow server that I control any day. Death to the cloud and all of IOT.

They might use their phones less, but that is very different from concluding that they don't need a phone at all.

Most people leave the house at least sometimes :p

Personally these DVA's as we now seem to be calling them are not for me. I don't want one in my house ever. In fact, I would prefer it if ALL of IOT would just die and go away. Don't need it, don't want it.

I want stuff I can control.

I would love a thermostat I could run control software for on my server in my basement, and do port forwards for control when I am not at home, but I DO NOT want devices that are connected directly to the internet, or some cloud service out there.

Give me the Enterprise solution run from my ow server that I control any day. Death to the cloud and all of IOT.

We must be related! :) I feel exactly the same way. I'll never buy something like the Nest that needs the cloud for full functionality. I do have a few smart TVs, but they don't connect to the network via their internal processors, they each go through a computer that I put together and control. The only reason I have smart TV's is that they were actually cheaper than the dumb version at the time.

We must be related! :) I feel exactly the same way. I'll never buy something like the Nest that needs the cloud for full functionality. I do have a few smart TVs, but they don't connect to the network via their internal processors, they each go through a computer that I put together and control. The only reason I have smart TV's is that they were actually cheaper than the dumb version at the time.

giphy.gif

Yeah, it's sad, but its actually pretty difficult to find a good TV that isn't a "smart" TV these days.

When I ask the sales people if there is a version of high end TV X without the Smart TV functionality they look at me as if I have two heads...

Back