Survey Shows Owners of Digital Voice Assistants Use Smartphones Less

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Montu, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Accenture recently conducted a survey of 21,000 online customers and discovered a number of interesting trends. Digital voice assistants are gaining more and more of a foothold in the market place, more than half surveyed are willing to ride in a self-driving car, and customers want more than gaming uses for AR/VR. The thing that jumped out at me was users of DVAs are less likely to use their smartphone. Could these devices start to make a real dent in the smartphone market? Probably not, but once Alexa takes over the world they might.

The voice interface takes the blending of the physical and digital worlds to a new level, augmenting the way consumers access content and services and offering providers an additional service and revenue opportunity. In fixed locations consumers who own a DVA device are using their smartphone less for certain activities, but for “on the go” use cases they still turn to their mobile devices

2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

They might use their phones less, but that is very different from concluding that they don't need a phone at all.

Most people leave the house at least sometimes :p

Personally these DVA's as we now seem to be calling them are not for me. I don't want one in my house ever. In fact, I would prefer it if ALL of IOT would just die and go away. Don't need it, don't want it.

I want stuff I can control.

I would love a thermostat I could run control software for on my server in my basement, and do port forwards for control when I am not at home, but I DO NOT want devices that are connected directly to the internet, or some cloud service out there.

Give me the Enterprise solution run from my ow server that I control any day. Death to the cloud and all of IOT.

3. sadsteve

sadsteve Gawd

We must be related! :) I feel exactly the same way. I'll never buy something like the Nest that needs the cloud for full functionality. I do have a few smart TVs, but they don't connect to the network via their internal processors, they each go through a computer that I put together and control. The only reason I have smart TV's is that they were actually cheaper than the dumb version at the time.

4. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's sad, but its actually pretty difficult to find a good TV that isn't a "smart" TV these days.

When I ask the sales people if there is a version of high end TV X without the Smart TV functionality they look at me as if I have two heads...