Survey: 60% Of Windows 10 Users Give It A Thumbs Up

As long as it has Start10 installed, I actually don't mind it.

IE seems to lead to the most crashes, I have tried Edge, but its lack of plugin support and odd CPU Usage just makes it useless, and I just can use Chrome or Firefox, they just don't fee "right" lol.

To be fair, I tax my Pro 3 pretty darn hard but I would have never expected this many crashes when 8.1 was solid and reliable.

I upgraded my tablet from 8.1 to 10, and some things are slower, especially IE.
I haven't had a blue screen, but I've had IE hang a few times.

Let it to MS apologists to spin a 60% user satisfaction rate as a win.

IMO that's terrible. I would've expected it to be between 80-90

If they made the same survey to the same people and asked them what is a desktop, same percentage would probably answer it's made out of wood.

It's a scary thought that it's that high but not really surprising. The sheeple don't really know or even care about the spying. They just see "ooo shiny!" and install it.

Windows 10 is free for the same reason as Facebook. YOU are the product.

Works fine, looks horrible, has junk in it I don't need. I also don't think a rebuild-update every 6 months is a sensible way forward. The last one didn't go too well judging by the number of screwed up machines I got handed in from customers. Don't know if they'll want to do that again in March/April...

Oh and I would love my old style F8 SafeMode back. I tend to find the new recovery systems don't work half the time. Just take longer to fix screwed up machines.

Fuck that survey and I'm leaning more towards Fuck Win10 as well.

Started off great, their policy regarding updates though pisses me off. Every single time I do an upgrade it resets certain things it has no business touching.

1) adds back all the BS system folder icons in my computer that I removed via registry tweaks
2) resets all my power/sleep options for my monitors.
3) Removes perfectly working programs just because it thinks they are incompatible.Just did the latest "big" win10 patch, and I was greeted with a message saying it removed the Win7 Desktop Gadgets app because it's not compatible. Bullshit it's not. been working fine for months.

I'd love to complain, but MS doesn't make it easy. No email or something I could fire off a message to. I'm too lazy to join that windows insider bullshit so I can access the forum.

The message I'm getting is "we are going to do whatever the fuck we want with your PC and we don't care what you think"

Lots of FUD in this thread..

Running Win 10 pro and Win 7 ultimate side by side for quite a while now. Thus far zero problems and it hasn't been any more irritating with updates than 7. Also while I agree it was annoying to be required to turn off the spying, it wasn't exactly difficult to pare it down to no more than win 7. Additionally at no point was I "forced" to create a windows live account. My computers all remain strictly local.

I gather some people don't know how to operate a computer nearly as well as they believe they can.

I can't say that I have any real complaints. I have Win 10 on my main desktop, and my wife's Surface Pro 4. After configuring it the way I like it, they both work very well. Like a lot of people, I don't necessarily like change. But after a few weeks, I have grown to like it.

I read a lot of complaints online, none of which have bothered me. I basically have the same settings and programs installed with Win 10 as I did with Win 7 and I am happy with the way it has been working.

I bet if truth be known most of the crap MS is pushing is being done so on the advisement from the Marketing and Sales Dept. I bet a lot of the Tech guys at MS are screaming "No Noooooo...how much more unpopular do you want to make us!"

Seems at the moment every step forward MS takes to make things easier and more relaxed they then take two backwards with some dumb move that just makes them look even bigger dicks.

It's like they just don't bother thinking any new idea through anymore.

Geoff at MS Tech - "Okay guys any downsides as a result of this new initiative?"

Mike at MS Marketing - "Geoff, what did we say about being 'negative'? There are no downsides! Just do it!"

The company I used to work at got a staff satisfaction survey result that said 60% were happy to work there. They spun that as great.

The fact that 1 in 3 of your workforce hates being there is not a cause for concern?:rolleyes:

I have three systems running Windows 10 at my house. They are all comprised of different hardware. I have not ran into any problems yet.
On my system, I don't think I've had a single BSOD since installing it. I've been using it for about 6 months or so.
I wish they would make what they are collecting more obvious. Cortana is not useful to me, so I have it disabled. Shrugs.

Have an entire office of 40+ machines, all upgraded from 7 to 10, running just fine. No issues. All 5 of my personal machines were upgrade from 7 or 8.1 to 10 running just fine.

No complaints at all with Windows 10.

The only thing that consistently bothers me about is windows update. They've made it as intrusive and uninformative as they possibly could. It's doesn't tell you how big updates are. Doesn't let you select which updates to install. It pops up this giant blue notification ribbon right in the middle of the screen that interrupts whatever you're doing to tell you there are updates.

That's one of the things I don't like about windows 10. It annoys me actually.

Other than that, have installed windows 10 on over 400 computers of various specifications and haven't had one issue.

I have a half dozen machines running 10 with no issues. Even my nearly computer illiterate family installed 10 on their own and aren't having problems.

I think it would be useful to compare the satisfaction rate with previous versions of Windows 6 months after their releases. Might be revealing.

I remember well the release of Windows XP, which nearly everyone hated with absolute passion. At least until SP1 fixed all the problems and SP2 made it actually a decent product! Same thing with the release of Windows 95, which was nearly universally despised, but by the time Windows95C came out, wasn't so bad, but I still preferred DOS 6.2/Win 3.1. Windows 98 2nd Ed. was actually good.

If it ain't broke...

Get passed up by other more innovative companies willing to do what you aren't.

The if it ain't broke mantra has sunk so many companies it isn't funny. Worst attitude you can have as a business owner.

I've been using Win 10 for a few months now with almost no problems at all. The one single problem I have is that every time there is an update and I reboot my internet connection is gone. All it takes is disabling then enabling the network adapter to fix it, so not a big deal.

It doesn't happen on normal reboots, only after updates.

Fuck that survey and I'm leaning more towards Fuck Win10 as well.

Started off great, their policy regarding updates though pisses me off. Every single time I do an upgrade it resets certain things it has no business touching.

1) adds back all the BS system folder icons in my computer that I removed via registry tweaks
2) resets all my power/sleep options for my monitors.
3) Removes perfectly working programs just because it thinks they are incompatible.Just did the latest "big" win10 patch, and I was greeted with a message saying it removed the Win7 Desktop Gadgets app because it's not compatible. Bullshit it's not. been working fine for months.

I'd love to complain, but MS doesn't make it easy. No email or something I could fire off a message to. I'm too lazy to join that windows insider bullshit so I can access the forum.

The message I'm getting is "we are going to do whatever the fuck we want with your PC and we don't care what you think"

Well dang, I had forgot about that part. Last major Win 10 update completely destroyed my Eclipse Mars 1 report designer. Took me almost an hour to fix it, there were some other minor annoyances but having a busted reporting software is a pain in the butt.

I went from Windows 7 > 8 > 8.1 > 10 on the same PC with no problems and enjoyed the changes and faster boot up times with each iteration of Windows. Then again, I am a simple user who just plays games, browse the web, and watch movies on it. I guess I am part of the minority here. :(

Total of 8 computers running in the house. All with 10 except my wife's laptop which is running 8.1. All of them are running solid and just work. Like every other OS I've used in the last 3 decades.

How did connecting to your network go? I have a friend who was trying to add a win10 comp to her win7/WHS 2011 based homegroup and it flat refused. Also she experienced the WIFI disconnecting constantly.

Personally, apart from having to relearn the path everything and despising minimal interface Edge I've had no issues.

Just last week a customer companys CEO was cursing Win10. He had updated Win10 to a late model Dell business laptop. After that he couldn't connect to any external monitors even though the Dell update software claimed all his drivers and system is up to date.

We had a meeting in the conference room full of people and he couldn't share his screen due to Win10, which made him very happy.

Just last week a customer companys CEO was cursing Win10. He had updated Win10 to a late model Dell business laptop. After that he couldn't connect to any external monitors even though the Dell update software claimed all his drivers and system is up to date.

We had a meeting in the conference room full of people and he couldn't share his screen due to Win10, which made him very happy.

And he upgraded to Windows 10 why? And he did not roll back why? Sorry but, regardless, blaming an OS on a Pebkac issue is just downright silly.

It's a scary thought that it's that high but not really surprising. The sheeple don't really know or even care about the spying. They just see "ooo shiny!" and install it.

Windows 10 is free for the same reason as Facebook. YOU are the product.

I picture this squirrel wearing a tin foil hate cursing the nut government from his trailer park oak tree with an outhouse.

I've had a laptop and my desktop on Windows 10 prior to RTM and never seen a BSOD. I've now got my work PC and the CEO's laptop (he demanded 10...) running Windows 10. The biggest issues I've encountered is with Microsoft Edge not rendering a lot of websites properly and Microsoft Office 2013 products having a variety of issues.

I can say that until they release a major update, it's not worthwhile to use in a domain environment because there is little in the way of group policy settings to control Microsoft Edge and other group policy settings are just plain broken (Drive Map reconnect setting being a big one for my environment).

One thing I really like, which I just recently discovered is the baked in parental controls. Although I have to create an account/e-mail for my child, which I don't like, it allows me to set login/logoff hours, view reports of websites my kid has been viewing, and applications he's been using. It also allows you to set a content age rating so that they can only play games approved for their age rating....given that the program has been rated. All this stuff integrates with the Xbox app/console so he can login to the Xbox with the same rights/restrictions/games to play. It seems a bit strict though as it has Minecraft as 10 and up....not sure why so high an age restriction. I understand that's more of a niche feature...although most people end up having kids, it's still a really cool feature set to have included.

The entire findings are a joke. The (online - red flag #1) survey was conducted in September, and whatever was being measured is completely skewed off the map. 37% of the respondents said they were in the Windows Insider preview program And pegging a 30%+ share of consumers in the US running 10 doesn't match with even the rosiest of bad analytics.

lol

How should they do the survey? Landlines are going to over sample older demos. Calling a cell phone requires that a person do the dialing, which is more expensive (and probably not worth it for this type of poll.

As for 30% isn't that about what Steam shows?

The only thing that consistently bothers me about is windows update. They've made it as intrusive and uninformative as they possibly could. It's doesn't tell you how big updates are. Doesn't let you select which updates to install. It pops up this giant blue notification ribbon right in the middle of the screen that interrupts whatever you're doing to tell you there are updates.

Other than that it's been identical to 7 for my purposes. I use the UI basically the same way. I haven't had any weird crashing problems on any of my PCs or laptops.

Weird. I don't think I've ever seen a pop up for updates. Must be a different setting.

I think you missed the part in the post pointing out that the survey is several months old. Making it well before the big nagging Microsoft push tricking all the old and/or dumb people into upgrading. On top of that 37% of the people polled where clearly enthusiasts (makes sense their number are inline with Steam's) since they where in the insider preview program.

The survey doesn't properly reflect the current windows 10 user base at all.

If they made the same survey to the same people and asked them what is a desktop, same percentage would probably answer it's made out of wood.

So you agree most people like it or do you think that most Windows users are highly technical users that know what telemetry is and pay attention to it in Windows 10?

My take is that most users don't know and don't care. On this site, I regularly read people proclaim, proudly, that they've never used Facebook (~30% of adults).
I do care enough to turn a lot of stuff off, but the basic telemetry that they're still gathering <yawn\>

As opposed to the MS bashers that are saying it's BS and because there's no way 60% could be satisfied?

Hi All
As has been previously mentioned 60% isn't a great showing at all.

Lack of Windows Media Center prevents me from upgrading my gaming computer or HTPC. If you want to watch protected content through a cablecard setup, there is no viable alternative at the moment. :(

I tried to upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 but the update repeatedly failed so I gave up.

It ALSO means that fully 40% of users hate it! I don't know about you, but if I had a 40% unfavorable rating, I would be a bit worried.

Weird. I don't think I've ever seen a pop up for updates. Must be a different setting.

If you set Windows 10 to not download updates automatically (via group policy or possibly by setting your connection to metered) you get a full screen blocking popup notifying you of the updates instead. I need it set not to download automatically because I'm on super slow rural DSL most of the time and don't want windows update wrecking my connection at its leisure. The normal way to get rid of the popup is to click the only button on it, "get updates," which then opens the windows update screen, but thankfully doesn't automatically download anything (an oversight by MS I'm sure). I've recently found I can kill it without opening updates with the ESC key.

I am in the category of "I like windows 10, but dislike what Microsoft is pulling" crowd. Unfortunately for them I don't actually need their product.

60% is terrible. Even for a fudged online survey. I would be the majority of that 40% are power users.

At this point I think Microsoft is largely successful because it's forced OEM's to push their products. If OS X had better hardware support and pushed at the OEM level or linux was pushed at the OEM level you would see that quickly changed.

If you set Windows 10 to not download updates automatically (via group policy or possibly by setting your connection to metered) you get a full screen blocking popup notifying you of the updates instead. I need it set not to download automatically because I'm on super slow rural DSL most of the time and don't want windows update wrecking my connection at its leisure. The normal way to get rid of the popup is to click the only button on it, "get updates," which then opens the windows update screen, but thankfully doesn't automatically download anything (an oversight by MS I'm sure). I've recently found I can kill it without opening updates with the ESC key.

Well that sounds pretty dumb. I always found the popup in the taskbar more than adequate in older versions. I must admit I've just one with auto install now. If things get screwed up, I just roll them back, but I don't have your bandwidth constraints.

Back